BPL Community Profile

Doug Johnson (djohnson) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Washington State
About Me Backpacking Light Editor since 2003. During the week I'm an elementary school principal and the dad of Henry and Lily. On the weekends I like seeing how far I can walk with a SUL pack or taking the kids up to the mountains!
CityRedmond
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 SUL- Doug Johnson

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Johnson

Showing 911 - 920 of 920 | Page: 1 ...73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Forum » Thread

Nemo tents added to Gear Guide
Hi John- Check out the updated Single Wall Shelter Gear Guide; it was updated last night to include the new Nemo tents. Enjoy! Doug Johnson, Shelter Systems Editor

In GEAR » nemo inflatable tents...
May 09, 7:22pm

Nemo tents
Hi John- Look forward to seeing the Nemo Tenshi eVENT tent review coming up on the site. It will be posted sometime in the next month as part of our Bomber Tent release. We also will be gett...

In GEAR » nemo inflatable tents...
May 09, 7:17pm

Dancing Light
Hi Alan- We haven't done a review on that tent specifically but here is our review on the DL Tarptent: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/dancing_light_gear_ultralight_bra...

In GEAR » Dancing Light Tacoma
May 09, 7:10pm

I have Mountain Laurel Designs gear
I have a bivy and an early prototype pack from Mountain Laurel Designs. Excellent stuff- both items. Beautifully made. Further, Ron Bell is a great guy- I ordered my bivy back in his eBay-only...

In GEAR » mountainlaureldesigns
May 04, 12:32am

LuxuryLite pack- front pack
For those fans of front packs or front pockets, LuxuryLite (www.LuxuryLite.com) sells an interesting carbon fiber external frame pack with an integrated front pack. I recently completed this revie...

In GEAR » Aarn Packs dose anyone know ......
February 22, 7:55pm

eVENT tent last chance
As you've heard, the end of Integral Designs eVENT tents is here. However, other companies have a year of eVENT production left. Check out the partial eVENT hybrid by Big Agnes- the Sarvis seri...

In Editor's Roundtable » Single Wall Shelters
February 22, 7:28pm

NEMO Tenshi- the last chance for an all-eVENT tent!
Yes- this is the last year for eVENT in tents. Yes- Integral Designs is no longer selling their eVENT tents. BUT- you still have a chance! In addition to our upcoming review of the Big Agnes S...

In GEAR » ID eVent tents pulled from the market!?
February 22, 4:52pm

Lighthouse tent weights
Thanks for the heads up on the updated Black Diamond Lighthouse weight- we'll get the GearGuide updated soon. We get our stats for our GearGuides from manufacturers- either we made a mistake or BD...

October 29, 2:14pm

Single wall vs. tarp selection
Gear selection is always a balancing act for me, with shelters at the forefront because they are such a big part of base pack weight. For me, the tarps tend to sit on the shelf when it snows but...

October 26, 9:12pm

Re: How do you pack your pack?
I also use a Golite Breeze. When travelling solo, I put my 3/4 ultralight T-rest against my back like you. From here my bag and down jacket go into a HUGE waterproof stuff sack on the botton, unc...

In Editor's Roundtable » Frameless Backpack Suspension Systems
December 10, 4:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Johnson

Showing 1 - 10 of 22 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Firelite SUL-500 Cookpot
I've found this mug to be well-sized for solo trips and after a lot of field use, it's proven to be very durable. My first gen pot came with the sloppy lid but BPL was very quick to replace...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 17, 9:33am

clif shot bloks/jelly belly sport beans various flavors
These products both taste good and give good calories. That said, it's important to look at the ingredients: Clif Blocks Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Brown...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
May 09, 6:48pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
BPL has the following reviews related to this tent: * Double Wall Tent Review Summary *

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 07, 12:15am

Golite Sun Dragon shoes
I just got off 3 days of backpacking on the Olympic Coast with these shoes and I love them! In my size 11-11.5 they weight 14.9 oz (compared to 13.1 oz for my Inov8 FlyRoc 310s). That's pretty...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 06, 2:35pm

Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4
Here's our review of the Nightlight pad. If you're going Su...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 26, 7:59am

Black Diamond Ion
I once liked this light but its day has passed and there's been no updates. The Petzl e+lite weighs the same, is much brighter, is much more versatile, and has longer batterly life. The Petzl...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
March 02, 9:02pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I've watched this DVD at least 6times now...even though I'm a seasoned UL and SUL backpacker, I've learned a lot from this DVD and really enjoy it. I've also shown it to a couple of f...

In Books and Media
March 01, 9:22pm

Big Agnes SL3
I'm not so enthusiastic about this tent. Here's my review: Big Agnes SL3 review...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 27, 5:25pm

Jocalat bars (by Larabar) Chocolate
If you haven't tried Larabars yet, you should. They are so darn good. So it's not suprising that when Larabar decided to make the new Jocalat chocolate-based energy bar, they'd stick wit...

February 25, 9:23pm

Big Sur Bars Original
All 3 varieties of Big Sur Bars are delicious. They taste like a soft, healthy cookie and remain soft when the temp drops (although like all bars they will freeze). They also pack 680 calories i...

February 25, 9:11pm