BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 9071 - 9080 of 11191 | Page: 1 ...899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 ...1120

Forum » Thread

Re: good thoughts
A woman friend of mine developed the best lightweight philosophy for staying warm when snowcamping. She sleeps between the two warmest men in the group, and she stays warm even if her sleeping bag ...

In Gear Swap » lots of bags for trade?
September 30, 2:16pm

Re: silinylon stitching
Sil-nylon is very slippery, so you need to practice a bit with some scrap fabric to make sure you can handle it correctly. Use lots of small pins. --B.G.--

In Make Your Own Gear » silinylon stitching
September 30, 2:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Climbing Mt. Whitney, tallest in lower 48
"Surprisingly my 100oz Camelbak lasted till we got to the 97 Switchbacks." I do the entire round trip hike on about 64 oz of water. One year, I reached the summit having consumed on...

In Post-Trip Reports » Climbing Mt. Whitney, tallest in lower 48
September 29, 9:05pm

UL bike
The Interbike show was held in Las Vegas, and an ultralightweight bike was displayed. How about a fully equipped 20 speed road worthy bicycle that weighs an incredible 6 pounds? The frame and...

In Other Activities » UL bike
September 29, 5:19pm

Re: Airlines: Firesteel/Firestarter
A firesteel is no problem. Firestarters, esbit, and anything else like that is banned by TSA regs. On the other hand, I would not be a bit surprised if a tiny bit of that accidentally fell in...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Airlines: Firesteel/Firestarter
September 29, 4:55pm

Re: western mountaineering
(from the Western Mountaineering web site) "We make all of our sleeping bags in our factory in San Jose and are here to give our customers the quality they want with Made in USA pride." ...

In GEAR » North Carolina mountains and sleeping bags
September 29, 1:15pm

Re: DIY Dehydrating
It is possible to dehydrate many kinds of food and get good results. I get the best results from fruit, sliced very thin. Vegetables with a high degree of natural moisture work well. For example, s...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » DIY Dehydrating
September 29, 1:00pm

Re: Momentum.
Momentum is supposed to have a durable water resistant coating. So, it is partially water proof. Is it enough? That is a judgment call. Back in the old days, maybe thirty years ago, I sewed my f...

In Make Your Own Gear » Quest WPB Material
September 28, 8:52pm

Re: Quest WPB Material
A standard coated nylon works good for the bottom. I used Momentum fabric for the top. --B.G.--

In Make Your Own Gear » Quest WPB Material
September 28, 7:44pm

Re: Agree
If you have a good foam pad that serves you for summer, then all you need to add is one more layer of pad for the fall. Just about anything would work, but I would avoid the REI product that weighs...

In GEAR » Budget Sleeping Pads
September 28, 7:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.