BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 9071 - 9080 of 11447 | Page: 1 ...899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 ...1145

Forum » Thread

Re: Ice axe fitting
As you can see, the length is kind of a personal decision based on how you think you will use it. For general purpose use, like what you did on Shasta, you are using it more like a walking stick wh...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Ice axe fitting
November 05, 4:41pm

Re: more mountain use
Jeff, you may be left handed, but we can get you surgically altered! If you measure the entire length of the ice axe (not just the length of the shaft), the very longest that you would want is a...

November 05, 4:12pm

Re: New MLD Bivys
That 5.8 ounces is very light for a bivvy sack. The best that I sewed was 8 ounces. --B.G.--

In Gear Deals » New MLD Bivys
November 05, 4:05pm

Re: Big Sur
Hanging your food at night would be prudent. There are a few black bears, but there are lots of small mammals. Since Big Sur is next to the ocean, the overnight temperatures stay more moderate t...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » November, Big Sur
November 05, 4:03pm

Re: Ice axe fitting
For a general purpose ice axe, you hold the axe head in your right hand and let the shaft extend to the floor. It should just barely touch the floor to be the correct length. For a vertical ice ...

November 05, 3:58pm

Re: Re: temps
-3 F or -3 C ? --B.G.--

In Winter Hiking » Need help on gear/prep.
November 05, 2:19pm

Re: First MYOG Projects
I sewed for the first time in December 2009. New Brother machine. I'm sorry to sound negative, but you have to assume that you will screw up one or two items. That is part of the learning pr...

In Make Your Own Gear » First MYOG Projects
November 05, 1:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yorkshire
"Ryun was my hero when I was a miler in high school." No, he was _my_ hero when I was a miler in high school. Didn't we go to different schools together? --B.G.--

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
November 05, 1:11pm

Re: Re: stand corrected
"Bob's comment about twisting the end cap has the benefit that it always scrapes the cheap tin plating to make a new contact." Actually, I twist the bezel at the front lens. All th...

In GEAR » Flashlight vs. Headlamp for hiking
November 04, 7:59pm

Re: Proposal for new forum
Don't confuse ability with wherewithal. --B.G.--

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Proposal for new forum
November 04, 7:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.