Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Martin Rye (rye1966) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me I work with the homeless in the East of England. Scotland is my main destination to go backpacking. I am a backpacker, nothing more.
CountryUK
My Website URLhttps://martinrye.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Martin Rye

Showing 91 - 100 of 299 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...30

Forum » Thread

Re: New Golite Peak
Why were you not impressed?

In GEAR » New Golite Peak
November 13, 12:14pm

Re: Akto or Scarp
Dave I am sure the Rockies are harsh and cold but rain falling in 60mph winds is the same in Scotland as it is there. Measured wind speed is what it is and rain is still rain if it falls in the U...

In GEAR » Still Making Up My Mind - Akto or Scarp??
November 08, 10:41am

Re: Akto or Scarp
David I don't get " If you want more waterproofness and robust materials, pick the Akto." Scarp is "Final fabric weight is approximately 1.4 ounces/yd^2." according to...

In GEAR » Still Making Up My Mind - Akto or Scarp??
November 08, 6:29am

Challenge.
Snow,rain,sunshine and strong winds all in a day could happen. Your kit looks fine. A good rain jacket is essential and why not join the Challenge forum and ask there for advice. I would take Go...

In GEAR » TGO Challenge clothing list questions
October 18, 11:48am

Scarp 1
I put some more photos of the new Scarp on my blog showing the improved vents and other details. It looks a fantastic tent and much better suited for the UK weather with its wet and windy climate....

In GEAR » Improved Scarp 1
October 18, 7:31am

Re: Re: I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan
I have considered HDR and also believe a photo should depict what was there. Photo shop should develop the photo to depict what we viewed and not manipulate it to be something we did not see. HDR...

In On the Web » I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan
October 08, 3:41pm

Re: I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan
His photos are amazing and the HDR he uses just makes them better. Also his climbing takes him into perfect locations for good photos. Without a doubt a top blog to follow on the web.

In On the Web » I, CJW: Hiking and Climbing in Japan
October 04, 3:52am

Re: flyrock 310
I have a pair of 295 and 310. I have also used 315 Inov-8 shoes and 345 GTX lined ones. The 310 are fantastic. My first choice any day. The grip is good and deep, and I find they fit my foot th...

In GEAR » terroc 330 undecided
September 21, 8:19am

Re: when will extended adjustable Scarp 1 fly be available?
Henry is saying October. Fingers crossed he has no technical delays.

In Post-Trip Reports » Best time/routes for Scotland
August 28, 5:59am

Re: Re: Re: Best time/routes for Scotland
I also have a Scarp 1 which I like except for the high cut flysheet. Henry is updating it with a lower cut flysheet. I would get a Scarp which will be solid in its performance on a multi day walk ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Best time/routes for Scotland
August 24, 6:31am

All Reader Reviews by Martin Rye

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Haglofs LIM55 LIM55
The LIM55 is a good pack with a claimed weight of 1075G - on my scales it tips in at 1092. The pack has aluminium 6005 - T6 bar as a frame with perforated foam for comfort and padding on the back. It...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
July 15, 6:36am

The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend
As backpacking is about getting out in to the wilderness and not gear the book is superb. Some hike light and some heavy. Chris caters for each. It helps the beginner steering them to make good inf...

In Books and Media
June 25, 4:16pm

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX
Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 11, 11:19am

Alpkit CarbonLite
A while back I gave these poles 5 out 5. A year on they are not used. Poor quality control is an issue. The handles slip of and the tips were fast and the baskets fall of. Under a year is not acce...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 1:44pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It’s a great pad, no leaks, no problems. It’s given me comfort all over the hills and dales. As for the view it’s on the heavy side trust me it feels lighter to have one of these in your pack after ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 19, 5:04pm

Terra Nova Laser
Nice to see some one appreciating this tent more than the Laser competition. I bought this to replace my Hilleberg Akto as I was fed up of being cramped do to poor head room. I love the Laser and it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 05, 11:54am

Gregory G pack
I bought this pack for a two week coast to coast rout across Scotland (TGO 07) I needed a light pack that was stable as I intended to do a few summits via ridges etc. The good points where comfort at...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 11, 4:22pm

Hilleberg Akto
I used an Akto for three years. Great tent though strong wind does blow the sides in. Not one for tall people like me at 6ft 2. You won’t be able to sit up and the sloping sides get annoying after ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
December 09, 4:59pm