BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 91 - 100 of 1558 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: How much warmth does a windshirt add to a down jacket?
Steven, Before Will Rietveld created the above chart, my testing showed that low down fill jackets with lots of sewn-through seams increase their insulation value SIGNIFICANTLY by wearing a ...

In GEAR » How much warmth does a windshirt add to a down jacket?
January 21, 11:07am

Re: CFM?: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics
Jim, Yes, CFM is the abbreviation for cubic feet per minute. Regarding area, the third implied term is /ft2. Per section 11.1 of ASTM D737: "11.1 Air Permeability, Individual Specimen...

In GEAR » Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics
January 19, 10:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Pertex CFM variability
Tom, The Polartec business model for Alpha is to just sell the insulation, without any face-fabrics. Each manufacturer then laminates whatever face-fabrics they choose. I haven't tested a...

January 18, 2:11pm

Re: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics
Wim, Great contribution to the forum... thank you! Of your available options, the RAB Alpine wind shirt is optimally balanced for UL backpacking in the mountains. The Pertex Equilibrium mater...

January 18, 11:45am

Re: Re: psychrometrics and Brunton
Erik, Answer to your resolution question: The most recent calibration test on did on mine, 11/5/13, was for the RH measurement versus a new Bacharach 12-7012 Red Spirit F sling psyschrome...

In GEAR » Handheld weather meters - which one?
January 07, 3:20pm

Re: Re: weather meter
Erik, With your background you can capitalize on a tenant of psychrometrics in that if you know elevation plus any two psychrometric values, all of the other relevant psychrometric values can be...

In GEAR » Handheld weather meters - which one?
January 07, 1:48pm

Re: sod cloth / snow skirt
James, Either fabric type is fine for a sod skirt.

In Winter Hiking » Winter mid
January 06, 8:17pm

Re: EPIC tents
Tjaard, My thermal image testing indicates that: the two LARGE vents at the apex of this EPIC shelter and the large tent surface area combines to set up a substantial non-forced convective flow ...

January 04, 9:32pm

Re: Interesting from Patagonia re CFM: "No Higher than 15 CFM for Shells."
Delmar, It could have been FUD and obfuscation to thwart competition or a change in plans. That marketing presentation is more than 8 years old and their competitors were marketing Polartec Wind...

In GEAR » Alpine Houdini
January 04, 8:50pm

Re: Winter mid
Tjaard, I think you did a good job of summarizing the pros/cons of conventional winter mids with and without an inner. There is an additional mid option that you didn't mention. I use an Epi...

January 04, 12:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm