BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1035 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: can t stay warm
I think Richard meant post 163242 directly above the one in his link. Anyway, from that graph (and a couple other posts of his I've seen) I infer that you need at least an R4 pad for 0C ground ...

In GEAR » can t stay warm
December 31, 12:00pm

Re: small scale bed
The Mainstays I have has the Tare feature as well, which is how I got around the smallish top. Stuffed jackets into an empty coffee container in my case.

In GEAR » Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
December 31, 8:04am

Re: Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
I bought the cheaper Mainstays scale in June and have been quite happy with it. Our Walmart had 2 types in the kitchen department. This one was about $10 and has a square glass top, and the other m...

In GEAR » Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
December 31, 7:18am

Re: MSR windpro in the snow
I can only speak to keeping it inverted, which is I use it that way ALL the time. Loosened the adapter connection, rotated it 180 degrees and retightened. If it's windy I suspect you may need t...

In Winter Hiking » MSR windpro in the snow
December 28, 7:59am

Re: Homemade tent - materials exposure test
Al, Sorry, I didn't think that would be an issue since it wouldn't be directly exposed in that case so I didn't test it. I simple cut 2 9" squares of Heatsheets and taped them dow...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
November 29, 6:29pm

Re: Homemade tent - materials exposure test
>I just put out samples of the white heatsheets material and 2 tapes for an extended exposure test. FYI, I just brought the samples in after 2 months of being taped onto the red roof of my so...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
November 28, 12:32pm

Re: Water in winter on dry, snowless trail?
It would just be for a few days for 2 people. It would be near roads. Someone on the Knobstone forum suggested caching ice cubes in ziplocs, which seemed like a good solution, assuming temps always...

In Winter Hiking » Water in winter on dry, snowless trail?
October 30, 6:53am

Re: Kids bag
> Bags: I was having trouble finding inexpensive kids bags that didn't weigh 3-4lbs each so I stick them in mine. Most of my bags are 2lbs or under so adult bags aren't an issue weight-w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking with kids - questions
October 14, 11:38am

Re: adhesive for XP Insulation
How about Aquaseal by McNett that another person reported good results with on his homemade cuben tent?

In Make Your Own Gear » 11.4 oz 78x20x2.5" Sleeping pad :)
October 13, 2:29pm

Re: Getting a good seal?
> Yes, but strapping it down partly defeats the freedom of using a quilt! We use velcro straps to attach the edges of the quilt to the bottom of the mats, like this Lynn, The velcro seems to...

In GEAR » Call to quilt users
October 12, 6:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.