Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1056 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...106

Forum » Thread

Re: Neoair in cold temps.
If you look down a few threads, see the end of my "A few newbie winter camping questions" and you'll see I was fine on a NeoAir with 1/2" CCF at -2 F along with what clothes I us...

In Winter Hiking » Neoair in cold temps.
January 20, 7:47pm

Re: Regional Forums
> including the state (or country) in the title for all posts related to specific locations would be very useful. +1 Maybe not ALL posts since most will know PCT, AT, CDT, Yosemite, Smokies, ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Regional Forums
January 15, 7:04am

Re: Re: Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara
> Walmart.com lists their 72" length 3/8" sleeping pad at $20 Wow. It's gone up a lot then. I bought that last June for <$6.

In Winter Hiking » "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara
January 11, 6:53pm

Re: "Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara
So people are spending 3-4x on Thinlights mostly to save a few grams? I guess I also understand they are somewhat stickier, which helps bags from sliding around. Blue doesn't have this property.

January 11, 2:26pm

"Blue" CCF vs Evazote\Volara
This thread suggests the R value of these is essentially the same. Is the advantage to Evazote/Volara that they are slightly lighter and more durable then? The blue stuff seems plenty durable &...

January 11, 11:08am

Re: the problem is in the pad
Depending on your clothing and bag, I don't think ANY inflatable pad alone would have been enough. You make it sound like you have used the same system in colder weather. Thus, it seems not bei...

In Philosophy & Technique » bivy sack = not fun
January 10, 9:58am

A few newbie winter camping test observations
Well, I had a successful night and slept much better despite being over 10 degrees colder at the end. It was 10 F when I started, and my wife came out and woke me up when it was -2 F. Interestingly...

In Winter Hiking » A few newbie winter camping questions
January 10, 5:09am

Re: Re: A few newbie winter camping observations/questions
OK. It's good to know I can't sleep through hypothermia. I suspected that was the case, but would rather find out beforehand rather than learn the hard (and final) way. We're suppose...

January 09, 3:01pm

Re: Re: A few newbie winter camping observations/questions
I have no garage door so, yes, it was open. I wanted to be blocked from the wind and didn't want the hassle of setting up the LD so I plopped everything down in the corner in front of my car. I...

January 08, 3:04pm

A few newbie winter camping observations/questions
Despite feeling like I may be coming down with something, I slept on the concrete floor of my garage last night. Temp was 10-11* F. I used a shortened 1/2" CCF blue foam pad then NeoAir sho...

January 08, 9:38am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.