Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1041 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...105

Forum » Thread

tent stakes for frozen ground?
Any other suggestions? I'm in exactly the same situation, though I'd never try hammering AL hook stakes - can't believe you didn't bend them. My little "wire" stakes would...

In GEAR » tent stakes for frozen ground
January 05, 6:15pm

Re: Natick Labs R & D recommended no wool layers
18 pounds of synthetic clothing/insulation (perhaps boots and heltmets, too?) isn't considered cumbersome? I suppose not to a soldier.

In GEAR » Natick Labs R & D recommended no wool layers
January 04, 8:49pm

Re: VB system for feet
> d. Your feet will get cold FAST if you hang out. What would you suggest for something like a Scout Klondike Derby where there's significant hanging out time between events, especially f...

In GEAR » Will my feet stay warm?
January 04, 2:49pm

Re: rotating the Windpro connector
Likely not an issue. I don't recall having any problem rotating mine to exactly where I wanted it. FWIW, I let it and a used canister sit outside for a couple hours last night at 10* F, and it ...

In Winter Hiking » MSR windpro in the snow
January 04, 2:20pm

Re: Bag needed for Philmont?
Could you handle near freezing in that?

In Philmont » Sleeping bag
January 04, 1:45pm

Adult training courses for higher adventure trips
Part of my Wood Badge ticket is to increase the adult awareness of the training available for higher adventure activities, whether is be official BSA or not. Outside of Wilderness First Aid, Voy...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Adult training courses for higher adventure trips
December 31, 1:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: can t stay warm
I think Richard meant post 163242 directly above the one in his link. Anyway, from that graph (and a couple other posts of his I've seen) I infer that you need at least an R4 pad for 0C ground ...

In GEAR » can t stay warm
December 31, 12:00pm

Re: small scale bed
The Mainstays I have has the Tare feature as well, which is how I got around the smallish top. Stuffed jackets into an empty coffee container in my case.

In GEAR » Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
December 31, 8:04am

Re: Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
I bought the cheaper Mainstays scale in June and have been quite happy with it. Our Walmart had 2 types in the kitchen department. This one was about $10 and has a square glass top, and the other m...

In GEAR » Where to buy a digital scale for cheap.
December 31, 7:18am

Re: MSR windpro in the snow
I can only speak to keeping it inverted, which is I use it that way ALL the time. Loosened the adapter connection, rotated it 180 degrees and retightened. If it's windy I suspect you may need t...

In Winter Hiking » MSR windpro in the snow
December 28, 7:59am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.