BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1011 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...102

Forum » Thread

Scout First Aid kits
What do you require your Scouts to take vs all that is recommended in their Handbook?

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Scout First Aid kits
October 01, 11:47am

Re: overlapping noseeum doors?
Nice looking tent, Roger. I don't think snaps would work well for this as it would limit the flexibility of being able to pitch the "A" at differing heights. I wonder if a few stri...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
October 01, 6:07am

Re: Cuben Fiber Down Air Pad
> If everybody orders different length then it can add up to a lot of work. What "standard" sizes will you be offering then?

In Gear Deals » Cuben Fiber Down Air Pad
October 01, 5:43am

Raw edge of noseeum - trim needed?
Al, Did you do anything to finish the cut edge of noseeum that would lay on the ground? Have you tried just overlapping the noseeum doors? I was going to try to do away with the zippers. I h...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
September 30, 1:07pm

Re: Cleanliness on the trail
I'm a newbie at this, but I've always been of the philosophy that if I know I'm going to get dirty, I don't bother to bathe. Thus, on my first trip, which was 11 days, that's ho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cleanliness on the trail
September 29, 7:43pm

Re: Scout Loaners
I had figured that a Scouter (eg, me) would wash the bags as needed because I wouldn't trust a Scout to do it right. They should only need it every couple years as much as we'd use them unl...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Recommend Big 3 as "loaners" for Scouts
September 29, 11:51am

Re: Recommend Big 3 as "loaners" for Scouts
There's no failing if you give it your best shot, right? This will at least give me ideas of what y'all think would be Scout-proof gear at reasonable costs. I'll be organizing some k...

September 29, 8:09am

Recommend Big 3 as "loaners" for Scouts
Part of my Wood Badge ticket will involve purchasing gear that many of our Scouts can't afford for higher adventure trips. I need to focus on lightweight stuff that can take a fair amount of ab...

September 28, 11:58am

Re: Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
> I cut a piece of Coroplast to help mine with weight transfer Actually I did the same. The foam pad has always tended to fold a bit right above the belt attachment point because that gets pu...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle
September 28, 11:42am

Re: Re: Re: Iced tea spoon
I may have found the perfect spoon for me last night. My wife and I stopped by Baskin Robbins and their long spoons appear they will do very nicely. They are actually about 1/4" longer than ou...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » To freezer bag or not to freezer bag
September 24, 9:20am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.