BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1031 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Homemade tent - materials exposure test
Al, Sorry, I didn't think that would be an issue since it wouldn't be directly exposed in that case so I didn't test it. I simple cut 2 9" squares of Heatsheets and taped them dow...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
November 29, 6:29pm

Re: Homemade tent - materials exposure test
>I just put out samples of the white heatsheets material and 2 tapes for an extended exposure test. FYI, I just brought the samples in after 2 months of being taped onto the red roof of my so...

In Philmont » Homemade tents
November 28, 12:32pm

Re: Water in winter on dry, snowless trail?
It would just be for a few days for 2 people. It would be near roads. Someone on the Knobstone forum suggested caching ice cubes in ziplocs, which seemed like a good solution, assuming temps always...

In Winter Hiking » Water in winter on dry, snowless trail?
October 30, 6:53am

Re: Kids bag
> Bags: I was having trouble finding inexpensive kids bags that didn't weigh 3-4lbs each so I stick them in mine. Most of my bags are 2lbs or under so adult bags aren't an issue weight-w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking with kids - questions
October 14, 11:38am

Re: adhesive for XP Insulation
How about Aquaseal by McNett that another person reported good results with on his homemade cuben tent?

In Make Your Own Gear » 11.4 oz 78x20x2.5" Sleeping pad :)
October 13, 2:29pm

Re: Getting a good seal?
> Yes, but strapping it down partly defeats the freedom of using a quilt! We use velcro straps to attach the edges of the quilt to the bottom of the mats, like this Lynn, The velcro seems to...

In GEAR » Call to quilt users
October 12, 6:56pm

Re: Re: Getting a good seal?
So you attempt to tuck it under yourself (or your pad?) while you're inside it? Or "strap it down" to the pad and then slide into it?

October 12, 3:44pm

Getting a good seal?
> I have not used a bivy for a number of years. I found that the combination of good site selection, some wind breaking from my tarp or tarptent, and getting a good seal make the quilt work, eve...

October 12, 3:06pm

Re: First time backpacking
FWIW, I did my first BP trip solo for 11 days. I choose the Smokies as they were near where I was going to be at the time and I figured would be relatively crowded in case I got in trouble somehow....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First time backpacking
October 11, 11:53am

Pants
Thanks for the pants. They are certainly thin and light. Looking forward to trying them out.

In Gear Swap » Fs: Misc UL gear
October 07, 8:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.