Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 881 - 890 of 1048 | Page: 1 ...80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ...105

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: A few newbie winter camping observations/questions
I have no garage door so, yes, it was open. I wanted to be blocked from the wind and didn't want the hassle of setting up the LD so I plopped everything down in the corner in front of my car. I...

In Winter Hiking » A few newbie winter camping questions
January 08, 3:04pm

A few newbie winter camping observations/questions
Despite feeling like I may be coming down with something, I slept on the concrete floor of my garage last night. Temp was 10-11* F. I used a shortened 1/2" CCF blue foam pad then NeoAir sho...

January 08, 9:38am

Re: Routine
> If I stop, I have my sleeping bag to keep me warm. I wondered how people do this (or cook, etc. in camp). My bag is normally packed in the bottom of my pack since it's the last thing I ...

January 07, 1:16pm

Re: A few newbie winter camping questions
Doug, Doesn't appear that you had a whole bunch of clothes on so you must either be a pretty warm sleeper or the cuben quilt is pretty warm. What would you guess it's rating to be?

January 07, 11:24am

Re: Re: Re: A few newbie winter camping questions
Doug, What bag or quilt were you using? What were you actually wearing?

January 07, 8:23am

Re: Re: A few newbie winter camping questions
Thank you all for the tips so far. I've added my comments to various quotes of your's below. I had planned on getting "Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" ...

January 07, 8:10am

A few newbie winter camping questions
Having never cold weather camped before, I'm going to test out the gear I have in either my back yard or open garage to see where it will get me. Expected temp is 0* F (-18C). NO snow, which is...

January 05, 7:02pm

tent stakes for frozen ground?
Any other suggestions? I'm in exactly the same situation, though I'd never try hammering AL hook stakes - can't believe you didn't bend them. My little "wire" stakes would...

In GEAR » tent stakes for frozen ground
January 05, 6:15pm

Re: Natick Labs R & D recommended no wool layers
18 pounds of synthetic clothing/insulation (perhaps boots and heltmets, too?) isn't considered cumbersome? I suppose not to a soldier.

In GEAR » Natick Labs R & D recommended no wool layers
January 04, 8:49pm

Re: VB system for feet
> d. Your feet will get cold FAST if you hang out. What would you suggest for something like a Scout Klondike Derby where there's significant hanging out time between events, especially f...

In GEAR » Will my feet stay warm?
January 04, 2:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.