BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 871 - 880 of 959 | Page: 1 ...77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Sub-2lbs double wall tent
Add my name to the folks who would love to be able to buy one of these (MYOG double-walled cuben tent). Then again, maybe I would prefer a nice Cuben tarp-tent (with full bug protection) like this:...

In GEAR » If Only Someone Made A.....
October 22, 8:04pm

TarpTent Advantages
I think there are trade-offs with just about any system you use. For absolute lightest weight, a tarp and bivy is probably the lightest system available (especially if your tarp is also your poncho...

In GEAR » Tent Users vs. Tarp Users...
October 22, 7:47pm

If it fits, wear it
You bought very high quality gear that will last you a long time. Outdoor gear will provide you with a huge amount of joy and peace of mind compared to just about anything else you could buy (OK, s...

In GEAR » Buyer's Remorse?
October 21, 8:00pm

Re: Cuben products
I think it is interesting that there are so many packs made of Cuben (even if most of them are do it yourself jobs). I would think that a tent (or tarp) makes a lot more sense. If your main concern...

In GEAR » New Bozeman Mountain Works Oware Cuben Alphamini shelter!
October 19, 6:00pm

Socks and Pads
I too have a problem with cold feet. They are usually the first part of me that gets cold. I bought some fleece socks at REI (fairly cheap) in a larger size and use those over my regular socks. Mak...

In GEAR » Help! My wife still too cold.
October 18, 2:20pm

Advantage of Synthetics in Thin Clothing
I don't know much about making clothes, but it was my understanding that synthetic gear could be made without a "shim", thus making the construction (not counting the fill) lighter. I...

In GEAR » What's the benefit of synthetic?
September 20, 10:46am

Over Weight/Under Weight
Marmot is the worst, in my opinion (way over the posted weight). Feathered Friends is way under what they post (but I think that is because they refuse to update their out of date web site).

In GEAR » I've been had
September 13, 10:20pm

Patching Mesh
Hand sewing a patch (using the same mesh) should work. I've spent a lot of time inside tents with patches in them.

In GEAR » Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help!
August 29, 4:56pm

Great Trip and Trip Report
I agree with Ryan. This is a classic trip which has been made more popular (although still not done that often) because you can't access Image Lake from the West. Ryan, some resources you may w...

In Post-Trip Reports » Sub 5 lb Trip - Spider Gap
August 24, 6:23pm

Enchantments
Congratulation Dirk on winning the lottery! Excellent report and pictures too. I haven't hiked there since I was a little kid, but I'll have to go back there. The elevation gain makes it pr...

In Post-Trip Reports » The Enchantments
August 24, 6:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm