BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 871 - 880 of 948 | Page: 1 ...76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95

Forum » Thread

Tarp Tent
Another vote for a tarp tent. If you get a tarp tent from Shires, Six Moons or one of the other popular shops you will not be disappointed. They have a high quality, main stream feel which will app...

In GEAR » Shelter for two... where one is not UL equipped...
August 23, 8:52pm

Spring Aquatics Mesh Shoes
I second Dave's comments. I own a pair and think these are great little shoes at two ounces per pair. Another option would be to just make you own foam slippers. Use a foam pad as the sole a...

In GEAR » Camp shoes?
August 23, 6:55pm

Caldera Cone vs. Thermojet
You might want to check out this thread, especially the note by Mitchell, who has tried them both: http://tinyurl.com/3dy2zh

In GEAR » Caldera Cone vs. Thermojet
August 23, 4:11pm

Re: Reassure me about my poncho
If you are bringing wind shirt/pants, I would go ahead and leave the other rain clothes behind. The combination seems like a good match. The nice thing about wind clothes is that they provide some ...

In GEAR » Reassure me about my poncho
July 26, 2:20pm

Bugs and Night
The bugs are unpredictable. You can't count on them being gone until September. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it. It gets dark at 8:44 (in Seattle) on August 1st http://tinyurl...

In Gear Deals » Gear Stores in Seattle and Portland
July 18, 12:34pm

Re: Footwear in the Cascades
I think it is all about ankle strength and snow comfort. I wear heavy boots in the Spring and early Summer and switch to trail runners before I put on my cross country skis. The trails are often ru...

In GEAR » Shoes for the Cascades
July 17, 10:44pm

Re: Seattle day hikes
Excellent suggestions as far as gear stores are concerned. Just to reiterate, I think the best cluster are by REI. Feathered Friends is across the street and Outdoor and More is only a few blocks a...

In Gear Deals » Gear Stores in Seattle and Portland
July 17, 5:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Spoonin' Bag
I have the numbers on the gear I bought last winter: Feathered Friends 20° Penguin ("Nano" fabric): 43.1 oz. Feathered Friends Toucan Deluxe (fleece): 14.2 oz. Large Stuff sack (sil...

In GEAR » Spoonin' Bag
July 13, 10:32pm

Re: Re: Spoonin' Bag
This looks like a really nice bag. I spent some time considering options for my wife and myself before buying a puffin (http://tinyurl.com/2h6pmz) and a toucan (http://tinyurl.com/2d7fnu). I got th...

In GEAR » Spoonin' Bag
July 13, 11:03am

Re: Re: Montane Featherlite H2O - Propore Hybrid
I was thinking that might work, especially when there is a small chance of rain. If the key parts of rain protection are your head and shoulders, then using a wind shirt in that manner might work w...

In GEAR » Montane Featherlite H2O - Propore Hybrid
July 11, 9:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm