BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 8441 - 8450 of 10334 | Page: 1 ...836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 ...1034

Forum » Thread

Re: Good point -- Easy astrophotography on the trail
"Open the aperture and keep it open for, say, an hour." I think you will get better results by keeping the shutter open for an hour. By the way, some digital cameras will have probl...

In GEAR » Barska 10x40mm "close focus" monoulars
August 24, 3:48pm

Re: Re: Wide angle lenses on DSLR's
I have that Sigma lens, and it is fine for wide angle work. However, I go after wildlife primarily, so the Sigma lens often sits at home or locked up in the trunk of my car. --B.G.--

In Photography » make my DLSR mountain-ready!
August 24, 2:19pm

Re: Ha!
I was high on Mauna Loa in 1991 to photograph the total solar eclipse, and I was using 1500mm of lens on a film camera. The sun was so intense that I had to use a solar filter over the front, and i...

August 24, 1:35pm

Re: Barska 10x40mm "close focus" monoulars
I always get a laugh out of it when I have some new piece of super optical gear, and some stranger sees me using it. They ask, "How far can you see with that thing?" I answer, "I ...

August 24, 12:46pm

Re: Adding the Boiled Water
Zip-loc bags may or may not stand boiling water. Freezer bags will. --B.G.--

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Re-packaging MH in Foodsaver bags
August 23, 4:05pm

Re: Boot Storage Question
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. The leather might shrink. The stitching might degrade, which will lead to blown out seams when they are used. Try to wear them just a little, maybe w...

In GEAR » Boot Storage Question
August 23, 4:03pm

Re: Backpacking trip recommendation to take beginners
Going over Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley is a little rough on beginners, mostly due to the altitude. The East Side has a lot of trailheads that begin high, and then go steadily or steeply upw...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking trip recommendation to take beginners
August 23, 4:00pm

Re: make my DLSR mountain-ready!
You probably need to travel with a single zoom lens, maybe about 18-200mm. That lens might fit into your existing Lowepro case. Although the 200mm would be a little on the short side for wildlife, ...

In Photography » make my DLSR mountain-ready!
August 23, 2:02am

Re: Shelter for Denali
Yes, a friend of mine also did the summit within 24 hours all the way from 14K camp. It is a huge risk unless you have perfect weather, so being able to get good weather reports while you are high ...

In GEAR » Shelter for Denali
August 22, 10:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: HD Video
The earlier advice that I received was to take the raw .MOV HD video and transcode it into .AVI using Neoscene. I did that, edited in some titles using Sony Vegas, and then rendered the first two m...

In Photography » Trailside video photography
August 22, 4:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.