BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 841 - 850 of 1117 | Page: 1 ...76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ...112

Forum » Thread

Lightest fleece fuzzy bunny stuff for BPL
On this forum, I'd probably go with 5.6 oz Montbell Chameece fleece vest if I had to buy the lightest fleece all over again. I hear everyone on warmth to weight ratio of a thermawrap or Nanopu...

In GEAR » Lightest fleece top?
September 27, 1:16pm

Re: Suggestions for the 3rd world?
One thing to "get outta Dodge" with a lightweight load on your back or in your car as an American or westerner in a country with rule of law, deeds, property insurance, portfolios in cybe...

In Philosophy & Technique » What BPL advice would you give to disaster/war refugees of the 3rd world?
September 27, 10:52am

Re: Fall Backpacking in the LCW
Great pics, pretty scenic especially the aspens .. thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Fall Backpacking in the LCW
September 26, 4:40pm

Re: Grand Canyon - Rim to River - South Kaibab to Bright Angel
Great trip and always worth the trip back up! Two questions: Was the water flowing on the way back up? Are they still doing "ranger talks" at Phantom Ranch?

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon - Rim to River - South Kaibab to Bright Angel
September 26, 4:35pm

More areas requiring a bear canister in North America?
In light of the recent increased # of bear-human altercations in North America, has anyone heard of any new areas (wilderness or parks) requiring use of a bear canister in the near future (looking ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » More areas requiring a bear canister in North America?
September 26, 10:08am

Re: Re: Re: Re: ultralight revolver
...do the members of this forum based in the US realise (and I'm looking for a polite way to say this) what an outlier the US is in terms of guns? ... Seriously, do you understand that for mo...

In Chaff » ultralight revolver
September 26, 9:59am

Looking at some Vapor Trail mods myself
Why not simply clean the foam?... great pack and I like the foam which multi-tasks by allowing me to use a 3/4 length sleeping pad in place of full-length. Specifically looking at dyeing the ...

In GEAR » Vapor trail
September 25, 4:40pm

Re: What is blue sky? ;)
What are these fabled things called dry camping pitches that i see mentioned on here? @Mike: I've got one here from Jan 2007, where US states of Arizona and New Mexico borderlines intersec...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is it just me?
September 25, 4:07pm

No fuss winter
My Houdini is great but when snowshoeing in the southern Rockies, my experience with big fat snowflakes is they land and eventually start soaking wind-resistant layers. Could add a DWR but that co...

In GEAR » No-fuss winter
September 24, 10:41am

Hunter NOT dead by grizzly .. update
FWIW, the hunter attacked by a wounded grizzly actually died from being shot by his fellow hunter, trying to get the bear off his buddy. So it was a gunshot wound to the chest and not the mauling,...

In Editor's Roundtable » Guidelines for Grizzly Country
September 23, 7:36pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.