BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 841 - 850 of 1139 | Page: 1 ...76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ...114

Forum » Thread

Re: Flying with Poles (Packs, and other Hiking Sundries)
I've checked my hiking poles and knives when backpacking in California, but normally with luggage as I visit friends/family out there. My carry-on included my Western Mountaineering bag and Pa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Flying with Poles (Packs, and other Hiking Sundries)
October 14, 5:47pm

Re: Re: Re: Patagonia Houdini - wrist cuffs
Haven't really noticed it, though sometimes I will pull the cuffs almost to my elbows. I've been thinking of installing "on-the-seam" side zippers for my hands, honestly.

In GEAR » Patagonia Houdini - wrist cuffs
October 14, 2:40pm

Protests
Overall, just a reaction to more Big Money in politics, so @ Clint: I do not sense the OWS protests are anti-TP. (ed:brevity)

In Chaff » Occupy _________ protests?
October 13, 12:18pm

Re: Re: Where to Live
Thought about this quite a bit and kind of prefer the term "home-base". So if you are retired, free time and transportation options may come into play: I prefer the 4 corners states...

In Chaff » Where to Live
October 11, 12:32pm

camping= fire, why?
For warmth but also contemplation vs. sparks putting holes in my Patagucci and smelling like burnt wood. Still, if allowed I do not mind if someone else lights one but not going to put it out, tho...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » camping= fire, why?
October 08, 3:31pm

Re: Occupy _________ protests?
*A dry run was done in NYC the summer prior to protest city-level and federal - level cuts around the time of the 2 Aug budget vote in Congress: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/occupy-w...

In Chaff » Occupy _________ protests?
October 08, 3:23pm

Re: Travel gear advice FWIW
One thing I'd be concerned about during travel is having to track multiple layers. I toured Nevada and the West Coast for a few months back in 08 and lost a vest, then a jacket while preoc...

In GEAR » Travel gear advice needed
October 08, 9:10am

Re: LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife"
Sounds more like a researcher looking for more funding. Bringing this from a "macro" view back down to the 50 meters the researcher mentioned, I'm not really stalking wildlife when s...

In Chaff » LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
October 07, 8:37am

Re: doritos taco salad
How long would the lettuce last (assuming shredded iceberg)?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » doritos taco salad
October 05, 12:36pm

Re: LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
50 m is about 150 ft from the trail. When solo I often startle animals and even with a group in the Gila, we surprised a little black bear, who hauled his butt up a steep hill. Based on my own ...

In Chaff » LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
October 05, 12:17pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.