BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 841 - 850 of 1154 | Page: 1 ...76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ...116

Forum » Thread

Organic ultralight and "waterproof" cotton
In response to one of the above post, the Army was working on silicon encapsulated cotton for a rainjacket as their Gore ECCWS system is pretty heavy for their latest layering system. Didn't s...

In Make Your Own Gear » Organic Ultralight Anyone?
October 24, 12:15pm

Re: Mac spreadsheet
I use Excel on my Office for Mac with compatibility check (I'm currently a Powerpoint ranger)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What have I been doing?
October 24, 12:09pm

Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by Ore. bear hunter
There's no excuse for this although it was a tragic accident. Though the vast majority of hunters are pretty careful, I prefer hiking the National Parks and a few select forests during hunting...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by Ore. bear hunter
October 24, 12:07pm

Running out of gas
I'd go with a combo of simple sugars and complex carbs in normal weather (like the granola bar suggestion above), though I'm partial to a chocolate brownie sometimes..

In Philosophy & Technique » I Ran Completely Out of Gas
October 24, 12:04pm

Scene of the crime
Don't assume a bunch of irregular fighters or even a mob has a formal debriefing session with an intel officer like western militaries. I imagine the rebel leadership wanted Gadaffi alive if o...

In Chaff » The events of Oct. 20 in Libya
October 24, 11:57am

Football Lovin Ultalighters
Being originally from the frozen tundra, I'm partial to the northern teams myself (Go Green Bay, Go Detroit) but don't forget Canadian football.

In Chaff » Football Lovin Ultalighters!
October 23, 8:08pm

Your Worst Trip - Santa Fe thunderstorm
Almost electrocuted by lightning at 11,000 ft in the Pecos Wilderness about Santa Fe, NM about 4 years ago. A large PM thunderstorm approached while I was on the trail and , after feeling a buzzin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Worst Trip
October 23, 2:47pm

What do you do for a living?
Actually hired gun, when I think about semi-seriously..

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
October 20, 10:15pm

Old Navy
Some items look better than yuppie brands appearance wise but noting the lack of specs on items that look like an UL down jacket liner, where fill power, weight, water-resistance shells, etc.. are...

In GEAR » Old Navy?
October 19, 9:43pm

Re: Is this idea crazy...
Wouldn't this in theory be the same as a ski resort jacket? The jackets are puffy waterproof breathable with down or synthetic insulation - imagine there's been some fleece lined ski jacke...

In Make Your Own Gear » Is this idea crazy...
October 19, 4:59pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.