BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 841 - 850 of 994 | Page: 1 ...76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ...100

Forum » Thread

Re: Why do A-holes drink light beer?
It's supposedly healthier to inhale with that Giant-Size bag of Doritos. People can down them quicker too.

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do A-holes drink light beer?
June 25, 8:22am

Sorting it out
Long-term the answers are coming and it'll all balance out. Short-term it makes no sense sending manufacturing to the developing countries on the basis of CO2; they'd probably ignore any a...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
June 25, 8:18am

1920-30's .. Un-UL Un Hi-tech
Does anyone recall the PBS series on camping? IIRC the documentary claimed one reason Henry Ford mass produced the auto in the 1920s was to get everybody out to enjoy Nature (or marketed it that ...

In Gear Lists » Totally Un-UL, Un Hi-tech list:
June 24, 5:22pm

Buy the Newest, Lightest, Shiniest Gear Or You Could Die
An adult should be able to wear whatever they want as long as it doesn't scare small children. More $ for outdoors companies to keep them competing to create the next wonder fabric, unique fra...

In Philosophy & Technique » Buy the Newest, Lightest, Shiniest Gear Or You Could Die
June 24, 4:06pm

Un-Hi-tech list for a mountain man
Think for "lightweight" items, the military shelter half was standard. Military uniforms were cotton or wool; even modern military uniforms tend to have a high % of cotton. Anything pri...

In Gear Lists » Totally Un-UL, Un Hi-tech list:
June 24, 2:49pm

Re: Spam
Progress? Who was it who said "No country is more than three meals from revolution"? Someone who hasn't sampled the goodness which is Hormel's Spam. As a number of agricul...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
June 24, 12:26pm

Stealth camping
Just to add to my comments above and expand on the post above, some land in the "bootheel" of New Mexico is owned by some of America's largest corporations -or dude ranches for heirs ...

In GEAR » Stealth camping
June 24, 12:04pm

Stealth camping
Many places still have free camping in the USA but many do not ... (add) In UL publications, the term "stealth camping" is used for camping in areas not frequented by backcountry campe...

In GEAR » Stealth camping
June 24, 5:26am

Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches
Second the Canyonlands NP Needles - all sorts of fun overnight loops but you will be carrying your water. Sedona is mostly for dayhikers but some backpacking towards Cottonwood (Sycamore Ck). Che...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Help with hikes in Zion/Bryce/Sedona/Arches
June 23, 7:56pm

Astrobivying
Astrobivying looks mighty nice and easy to emplace, though tempting to bring a star chart and iPod. A bivy w/a taller entrance, yet lighter than the OR advanced bivy to avoid the stuffiness when s...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
June 22, 10:14am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.