BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 8281 - 8290 of 10339 | Page: 1 ...820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 ...1034

Forum » Thread

Re: Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
I have a positively ancient Sierra Designs tent (maybe 20-25 years old) that has developed the same sticky problem. I never use it for anything but car camping, but the fly still seems to functi...

In GEAR » Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
September 13, 2:30pm

Re: Need Help with My big 4!!
William, I think you may want to reorganize your thinking a bit. For example, you stated that your five big items add up to 13 pounds. Others have already commented that it seems a bit high and the...

In Gear Lists » Need Help with My big 4!!
September 11, 3:13pm

Re: Tenkara above Tuolumne
I led a backpacking group up to Young Lakes one time. We got there in one day, and then on the layover day, groups of us spread out for dayhikes. I was up on Mount Conness, and another leader took ...

In Fishing » Tenkara above Tuolumne
September 11, 2:21pm

Re: Re: Weight for tents? What is the difference...
Further, some manufacturers will state that the nominal weight specification is +/-10% because of variations in the manufacturing process. I always found it interesting that mine always came out be...

In GEAR » Weight for tents? What is the difference...
September 11, 1:50pm

Re: Re: Tenkara above Tuolumne
There aren't any local fly shops in Tuolumne Meadows, or, in fact, inside Yosemite National Park. If you go east out of the park, you might possibly find a fly shop in Lee Vining, but at least ...

In Fishing » Tenkara above Tuolumne
September 11, 1:45pm

Re: not interested in buying a scale?
Digital scales are now pretty cheap but very worthwhile. In the old days when I first started ultralightweight backpacking (early 1980's), I used three analog scales. One was a regular bathr...

In Gear Lists » Long Trail: Autumn e2e
September 11, 12:55pm

Re: Weight for tents? What is the difference...
Some manufacturers want their products to appear to be as lightweight as possible. So, they often list one weight that includes, for example, only the tent inner and fly, plus the pole system. A di...

In GEAR » Weight for tents? What is the difference...
September 11, 12:50pm

Re: Using a firesteel
An even better method is to hold the striker on the firesteel at a fixed distance from the tinder. Then, instead of moving the striker, you retract the firesteel. --B.G.--

In Philosophy & Technique » Using a firesteel
September 10, 7:21pm

Re: Re: Standalone bivy?
You could get your bivy outfitted with an aviator's tube. --B.G.--

In GEAR » Standalone bivy?
September 10, 12:43pm

Re: British Army Ration Packs
Sometimes freeze dried food is sold that way on eBay. Some of it is very old. If you eat it, the flavors may be off, although it probably won't kill you. --B.G.--

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » British Army Ration Packs
September 10, 11:54am

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.