Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 801 - 810 of 1082 | Page: 1 ...72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ...109

Forum » Thread

Re: Wind River / Maroon Bells for newbie
Trip reports with video links are up. Some notes on the gear: 1) I did take the compression bag so I could fit all the food on my outbound flight (I didn't check anything). I did end up usin...

In Gear Lists » Wind River / Maroon Bells for newbie
August 15, 7:27am

Newbie in Maroon Bells Wilderness
View my gear list View my videos of this trip (Pics are embedded there to save space here) For proper background of this TR, please read at least the beginning of the TR for Phase I of this t...

In Post-Trip Reports » Newbie in Maroon Bells Wilderness
August 14, 9:16pm

Newbie in Wind River
View my gear list View my videos of this trip (Pics are embedded there to save space here) It all started March 31 when the Montana BSA Lightweight trek for which I had been accepted as an as...

In Post-Trip Reports » Newbie in Wind River
August 14, 9:13pm

TR is in the works. Wind Rivers portion is just about done.

August 13, 1:28pm

Re: Small carry-on knives on Plane
> Edit: I just remembered that under Obama things Are changing. For instance, a folding knife under 4" is now allowed. Go Figure. Not yet. Scissors under 4" are OK, but not knives. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane
August 12, 6:50am

Re: LDPE Film Thickness / Zipper or not?
Lawson, According to Heatsheets, they are 1 mil vs typically 1/2 mil for mylar blankets. Vick, I think the added weight of the required mesh would exceed that of the zipper at least in my appl...

In Make Your Own Gear » LDPE no-sew (almost) tent
August 11, 10:15am

Re: Re: Wind River / Maroon Bells for newbie
Security was a breeze - didn't even have to open my backpack with all my homemade needle stakes. Now waiting for my overbooked flight to Denver. Plane just arrived.

July 29, 2:01pm

Re: Lunar Duo, pack with ridge poles in place
I normally pitch it sans poles and then climb in and slide the poles into the sleeves and then adjust tieouts as needed. I take the poles out from inside when taking it down as well.

In GEAR » Lunar Duo, pack with ridge poles in place
July 27, 8:18pm

I might try to nix the comp bag. I never liked the feel of my pack just stuffing the Sub Kilo in the bottom but now I just removed the back pad and am rolling a CCF pad inside so I may not be able ...

July 26, 1:03pm

Wind River / Maroon Bells for newbie
Heading off for my second major trip in a few days. Mostly want advice on whether I should take one of the other few pieces of clothing I own instead of something I've chosen. I have a Cap 3 &a...

July 26, 11:04am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.