BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 801 - 810 of 1028 | Page: 1 ...72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ...103

Forum » Thread

Re: 24: Beaver Creek Wilderness Study Area
Nice report. Do you have a remote for your camera or can you really get back into your tent like that within 10 seconds?

In Post-Trip Reports » 24: Beaver Creek Wilderness Study Area
May 05, 8:37am

Polycro vs. Heatsheets
Having never used the window film or polycro, is it much tougher than the LDPE (NOT mylar - think trash bags) version of Heatsheets (which happens to be about 0.6 oz/sq yd)? I was going to use that...

In GEAR » Making a Wider Polycro Groundsheet
April 27, 7:01pm

Re: backpacking with scouts
Alex, Any registered adult or parent should be able to attend an outing unless circumstances dictate otherwise (eg, limited space or physical conditions). As Sarah points out, Scouts is SUPPOSED t...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » C'mon now people!
April 27, 10:10am

Re: Re: backpacking with scouts
I suppose since you don't have a son in the Troop, you'll need to be a registered adult of some kind so they can run the background check. FWIW, if you don't want to take your time and ...

April 27, 7:55am

Re: backpacking with scouts
> Its doable to introduce backpacking to scouts, it just takes time and a few interested parents. You can't do it solo. I heard that! Right now I'm solo and making zero headway. Anoth...

April 25, 4:43pm

Neoair construction
Watch this video for insight on the construction.

In GEAR » Keeping two Neoairs together
April 22, 9:44am

Re: Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane
> You might win the argument by quoting regs, but you won't make your flight. What's the point in having the regs then if they won't follow them? I'll be returning home throug...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane
April 20, 6:27pm

Re: Collapsable Hiking Poles on airlines
> I was told that they would be confiscated if I tried to carry them on. Your's didn't break down I take it? There's nothing in the TSA prohibited items section that indicates you...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Collapsable Hiking Poles on Plane
April 20, 2:37pm

Re: Alcohol stove + pot question
Claudia, See this thread to adapt a windscreen to help contain the heat to whatever pot you like. You just need to play with how many holes are needed at the top edge to keep from limiting the out...

In GEAR » Alcohol stove + pot question
April 16, 1:19pm

Re: Alcohol Stove Safety
Indeed, the latest GSS lists alcohols as not recommended fuels and the various can stoves are specifically prohibited. One MAY try to use the "commercially manufactured" loophole for thos...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Alcohol Stove Safety
April 15, 2:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.