BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 801 - 810 of 1011 | Page: 1 ...72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ...102

Forum » Thread

Re: Great Smokies
+1 on bears & no spray. Anyway, if your brother is athletic as you say, I wouldn't worry about any of the routes. Just make sure his shoes fit right. I did my first BP trip last summer i...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Smokies or BSF
March 30, 8:28pm

Re: Capillary alcohol stove
Javan, What can did you use for it?

In GEAR » Capillary alsohol stove
March 30, 1:40pm

You don't have any stability issues with it that narrow? Your pot looks huge compared to it.

March 29, 7:28am

Re: Re: Re: Capillary alcohol stove
Ironically, bplite hasn't really done anything with this particular RoF design before from what I could tell (there was only 1 thread where it was mentioned), but even more peculiar to me is th...

March 28, 7:48pm

Re: Re: best pot for canister and alky stove
The same user of the vid I linked to has another one that shows how they made the little stove they use with it. They call it the Unican and have used it successfully at Donner Pass in winter. FYI,...

In GEAR » best pot for canister and alky stove
March 28, 11:59am

Re: Please help i need a route
I wasn't aware there was much gold panning in southern CA, but you might consider part of the American Discovery Trail. It's a mix of roads, manways, railtrails, and hiking trails and passe...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Please help i need a route
March 28, 11:06am

Re: Cat Can Stove Troubleshooting
Once the alcohol in it "boils", then put the pot on. Takes longer when colder or just a few seconds at 70 F. This site has thorough instructions.

In Make Your Own Gear » Cat Can Stove
March 28, 10:58am

Re: best pot for canister and alky stove
As Bob said, if it's a top burner you can get away with a smaller diameter cup, but normally need a pot stand. A side burning model will work better with a wider pot and often don't need an...

In GEAR » best pot for canister and alky stove
March 28, 10:51am

The vid John linked shows it in action several times. I also thought it appeared they lit it with the pot on, but in other vids they show lighting it first and then putting a pot on it. They've...

March 28, 10:24am

Capillary alcohol stove
I wondered if anyone has played around with an alcohol stove like this. He calls it the Unican, which operates by capillary action rather than jets. I couldn't find any mention of it here (or n...

March 27, 8:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.