BPL Community Profile

Martin Rye (rye1966) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me I work with the homeless in the East of England. Scotland is my main destination to go backpacking. I am a backpacker, nothing more.
CountryUK
My Website URLhttps://martinrye.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Martin Rye

Showing 81 - 90 of 299 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...30

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Shangri La 3 poles
The pole extender in the link joins two poles together (check the link and the video). I have one and wanted to try it with my DuoMid All I have done in the filed so far is use my supplied 6 in t...

In GEAR » Thoughts on Shangri La 3
May 01, 11:30am

Re: Re: Re: Shangri La 3 pole knots
I don't know Rog. I use a DuoMid with a single trekking pole and it's fine in the wind. How much more stress can the SL3 put on a pole? I would like to hear Bob from BPL.Uk give some fee...

May 01, 11:24am

Re: Shangri La 3 pole knots
Why not use a pole extender ? http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product443.asp?PageID=1

May 01, 11:07am

Re: optimus cooksets
Ask PTC about it at: http://www.petesy.co.uk/optimus-new-kit-for-2010/

In GEAR » optimus cooksets
May 01, 3:48am

Re: Re: "English Lake District"
Still Rog the views are free.

In Photo Gallery » English Lake District
April 19, 3:29pm

Re: Tarptents for uk/scandinavia
Scarp 1 is a tent with an inner - so not a good comparison vs a single skin unless you want to point out Tarp Tents products work well in the UK . Still the Scarp 1 is a very good tent, and with ...

In GEAR » tarptent for uk/scandinavia?
April 11, 6:29am

Re: tarptent for uk/scandinavia
I would not hesitate to get a Moment and use it in the UK. Comparing it to a silnylon MLD DuoMid and a bivy bag and the weight is the same more or less. But the Moment is going to perform in the ...

In GEAR » tarptent for uk/scandinavia?
April 10, 3:35pm

Bivy and a Neo Air
MLD Superligh is fine and I have used it with a NeoAir. The 2010 is updated to be even better fitting with the NeoAir.

In GEAR » Bivy and a Neo Air
March 06, 6:28am

Silver Peak - Winter
Great Video and thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Silver Peak - Winter
March 04, 3:51pm

Grizzlies vs Polar Bears
On a documentary about that bear that got shot which was a cross bread of a Griz, and Polar - they filmed Grizzlies at a wast dump confronting the Polar bears. The Polars backed off.

In Chaff » Grizzlies vs Polar Bears
February 28, 9:00am

All Reader Reviews by Martin Rye

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Haglofs LIM55 LIM55
The LIM55 is a good pack with a claimed weight of 1075G - on my scales it tips in at 1092. The pack has aluminium 6005 - T6 bar as a frame with perforated foam for comfort and padding on the back. It...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
July 15, 6:36am

The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend
As backpacking is about getting out in to the wilderness and not gear the book is superb. Some hike light and some heavy. Chris caters for each. It helps the beginner steering them to make good inf...

In Books and Media
June 25, 4:16pm

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX
Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 11, 11:19am

Alpkit CarbonLite
A while back I gave these poles 5 out 5. A year on they are not used. Poor quality control is an issue. The handles slip of and the tips were fast and the baskets fall of. Under a year is not acce...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 1:44pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It’s a great pad, no leaks, no problems. It’s given me comfort all over the hills and dales. As for the view it’s on the heavy side trust me it feels lighter to have one of these in your pack after ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 19, 5:04pm

Terra Nova Laser
Nice to see some one appreciating this tent more than the Laser competition. I bought this to replace my Hilleberg Akto as I was fed up of being cramped do to poor head room. I love the Laser and it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 05, 11:54am

Gregory G pack
I bought this pack for a two week coast to coast rout across Scotland (TGO 07) I needed a light pack that was stable as I intended to do a few summits via ridges etc. The good points where comfort at...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 11, 4:22pm

Hilleberg Akto
I used an Akto for three years. Great tent though strong wind does blow the sides in. Not one for tall people like me at 6ft 2. You won’t be able to sit up and the sloping sides get annoying after ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
December 09, 4:59pm