Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 81 - 90 of 286 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...29

Forum » Thread

Re: skiing and skiing
"But really, it's not that much fun. I mean, who wants to go out into a spectacular mountain range in perfect weather and have it all to themselves for a week or more, gliding along over a...

In Winter Hiking » 1000 Island Lake in winter
December 15, 1:45pm

Re: Some CA bc skiing links
Charley, thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I found Mike's site already and have read some pretty cool stuff on it. Regarding Bear Valley vs Tahoe, according to google maps, it ...

December 15, 12:26pm

Sierra Club
Hi Dave, I'd like to keep this thread focused on what I started it as, which is a way to prepare to do a ski trip to 1000 Island Lake in the winter/ spring. Folks offered advice on ways to hel...

December 14, 12:44pm

training
Thanks for the very informative reply, Billy. I appreciate the links to the vendors/ rentals and the classes. I am motivated to learn, as snowshoeing is not something I'm eager to try again. ...

December 13, 11:04pm

Tuolumne
Thanks for the added info on the Sierra Club. And I did finally find a website of theirs that gives great info on the ski huts. I think I am a bit confused about Tioga Pass from the Lee Vinin...

December 13, 2:34pm

ski hut
Thanks Bob, the ski hut idea is outstanding. Tahoe is much easier for me to get to in winter than Yosemite, so I'm glad that there are more huts available there. As we mentioned earlier, Pete...

December 13, 2:01pm

mammoth to...whoops
I feel like a moron. When I was chatting about the Mammoth to Yosemite ski tour, I was picturing the 30 mile trip to Tuolumne meadows from Agnew Meadows. I completely forgot that Tioga Pass is cl...

December 13, 1:43pm

experience
Hi Billy, at this point in my life the most accurate would be: xc- groomed trails- beginner I've never once been downhill skiing, and my cross country experiences were 20 years ago in Banff...

December 13, 11:48am

rentals
Thanks Bob! Good info. Since asking you this question, I found this introduction to ski touring article here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/intro_nordic_backcountry_ge...

December 13, 1:33am

What ski type? (for Bob Gross)
Bob, (or anyone who knows) since it sounds like you've done this sort of thing, backcountry ski touring in the Sierras, what type of skis/ bindings/ boots are most appropriate? I'm not...

December 12, 11:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.