November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 791 - 800 of 863 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

Forum » Thread

Two more cents' worth
A few more suggestions for you, all using the three fine manufacturers recommended above. - A semi-rec or rectangular bag with a coupler. Western Mountaineering makes one that's great with i...

In Gear Swap » WTB : sleeping bag / quilt for two
October 14, 10:29am

Yellowstone hikes
The Black Canyon of the Yellowstone is a great (and easy) three or four day hike. You could combine it with the Hellroaring Loop from the Hellroaring trailhead in YNP, into the Absarokas, and then ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Yellowstone in July - HELP
October 04, 9:19pm

Westcomb dealers
James, you might try the Valhalla shops in Canada; some are listed on Westcomb's website. I first saw a Westcomb jacket at the Valhalla in Nelson BC last winter: Valhalla Pure - Nelson, 624 Bak...

In GEAR » Anyone know where I can buy an XXL Westcomb Specter LT?
September 24, 9:01am

Warmlite recommendations
Stephen, My Warmlite has worked well in all seasons. Whether you decide on 2R or 2C depends on your intended usage; the 2R is spacious for two plus gear and if you really count the ounces probably...

In GEAR » Stephenson Warmlite
September 21, 8:24am

Alternate suggestion
Jay, If you're willing to add a few ounces you might consider a Nunatak Back Country Blanket, the most versatile bag I've ever owned. I am a very cold sleeper and so ordered 6 oz overfill a...

In GEAR » Nunatak Arc?
September 17, 7:40am

Four season tent
If you do get a Warmlite, be sure to order the windows if you plan to use it in warmer weather unless you like sauna-like conditions. With the windows though it truly works well in all four seasons...

In GEAR » Looking for Lightweight Tent...
September 12, 3:33pm end of summer sale
Got an email this morning and a very quick browse of the site indicated some good deals. Runs through Sept 3

In Gear Deals » end of summer sale
August 21, 8:17am

Yellowstone in October
Most of the Park is seriously nice country, and October is a great time to see it. Snow is defintitely possible but so is fine fall weather. That's what I had last September along the Bechler R...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Ideas/beta/partner for Yellowstone fall trip
August 11, 7:05am

Ashley, The photos accompanying my review of the Catalyst at

In GEAR » got pics of your ULA circuit / catalyst?
July 25, 11:11am

Hilleberg Unna
It's not SUL but for taller campers (I'm 6'4") who want a truly weather-worthy tent the Unna is a great choice. With BPL stakes (and a tulle panel added by the previous owner) mine...

In GEAR » ultimate double wall tent
July 14, 6:54am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm