Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 791 - 800 of 806 | Page: 1 ...62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Forum » Thread

My top 3
1. Exped DownMat 7 sleeping pad - added at least 15 degrees to sleeping bag rating. Well worth the extra weight and money. 2. Patagonia wool 2 turtleneck. Lightest merino body layer I've yet...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2007 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 06, 3:43pm

MB UL Down Inner Parka
You can find three initial testing reviews (one from me) on this Parka at www.backpackgeartest.org. Great fit, no frills, a nifty hood that uses elastic to fit your head. Very light weight and mar...

In GEAR » Montbell Down Inner "Parka"
December 04, 4:44pm

Cashmere in the backcountry
It works just fine and if not abused will hold up as well as most woolen goods. I have a cashmere watch cap that's absolutely great for ski touring. It does seem a bit excessive but if you go...

In GEAR » Has anybody used Cashmere in the Backcountry?
December 04, 4:37pm

Skaha Plus hooded vest
If you can afford it the Nunatak Skaha Plus Down Vest is great. It's listed at 7.5 oz for XL; if you didn't want the hood you'd be under your target (or you could reduce the fill by an ...

In GEAR » Vest choices
December 03, 10:09am

Thanks
Thanks, Rick. I've told Santa that I would REALLY like one for Christmas. Seriously, I am looking at safety standards for the volunteer trips I lead and this looks ideal. Our group can't af...

In GEAR » Axxon SPOT satellite messenger
November 29, 7:54am

Axxon SPOT satellite messenger
Does anyone know how to get one of these? The article at http://www.equipped.com/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm indicates that Axxon started marketing November 1, but I can't find one even on Google.

In GEAR » Axxon SPOT satellite messenger
November 28, 3:14pm

More suggestions
Andrew, I really like my Hilleberg Unna for solo trips. I'm 6'4" and clautrophobic but the Unna's got plenty of room for me (no vestibule though). About 4 lb with titanium stakes. ...

In GEAR » BD Lighthouse in wet conditions
October 25, 7:51am

Test before you buy
It appears that a feather allergy doesn't always mean a down allergy - but sometimes it does. I had to ask a hotel to switch out a down comforter for synthetic after my girlfriend had a violent...

In GEAR » Sythetic Sleeping Bag & Down Allergies
October 12, 1:12pm

Fly Fishing stuff
Robert, I went through the string and didn't see any fishing gear. Have you posted it? I may be interested.

In Gear Swap » Gear, Gear, Gear!!!
September 26, 2:50pm

Ibex sizing
Eric, I'm just about same weight and height, and I definitely recommend that you size up to XL for the Ibex bottoms. Don't know why but Ibex tends to size small below the waist. XL tops ...

In GEAR » Merino Wool L/S Zip
June 13, 2:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm