Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 791 - 800 of 845 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Forum » Thread

Patagonia weight
Tom, see http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?assetid=2301 Men's Wool 2 is 111g/m2, women's 125.

In GEAR » Wool weight
June 20, 3:47pm

Insulation layer
Andrew, you might consider the MontBell Down Inner line - vest, jacket, parka. Lightweight and highly compressible alternative to fleece. Don't get it wet though. Cheers, Richard

In GEAR » Softshell user needs advice
June 18, 9:48am

Sundowner
I'm a bourbon man myself, and I often try to get a bit of flyfishing in after dinner, otherwise I agree completely. Brightens up a miserable day or is the perfect cap on a glorious backcountry ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day
June 18, 9:45am

Most comfortable wool base layers
I've found Patagonia Wool 2 and Ibex to be the softest and most comfortable wool base layers, with Icebreaker close behind. Patagonia just released the weight of its wool base layer fabrics, an...

In GEAR » Wool weight
June 16, 5:35pm

Silk problems
Silk works well as an insulator. It is lightweight so I'll bet its warmth-to-weight ratio is great. It's also very stout, probably more durable than wool. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean, ev...

In GEAR » Silk as a baselayer?
June 16, 5:24pm

Warm not hot air
Richard, you are right that it can be overdone. I should have mentioned that I keep the blower on "warm." J J, definitely you are not only one who's forgotten to check that only o...

In GEAR » Question for Exped Downmat owners
June 15, 8:53am

No problem
Sven, I haven't had that problem either. I have a suggestion - use a hair dryer to blow some hot air through the mat. You can do this by opening both valves and blowing the warm air in through ...

In GEAR » Question for Exped Downmat owners
June 13, 9:04am

Two more cents
I tested the MontBell UL Down Parka last winter and it's great - down to freezing. It's designed to replace fleece, not serve as insulation when it's really cold. If you are cold prone ...

In GEAR » Recommend Down Jacket/ Pack
June 12, 9:55am

Windshirt/rain jacket
You might consider a Wild Things Epic windshirt. Not totally waterproof but will work OK for the occasional shower. Between your choices I'd go with eVENT any day, and I've heard good thing...

In GEAR » Rain/Wind Coat Advice
June 11, 10:12am

Backcountry Fly Fishing
BPL has two excellent articles on fly fishing in the backcountry, by Ryan Jordan and Larry Tullis. Much of what's in those articles can be adapted to spin fishing. Just enter "fly fishing&...

In GEAR » Lightweight Fishing
June 11, 10:08am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm