Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 791 - 800 of 876 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

Forum » Thread

Test
Sorry, I just realized the prior message was in the test forum- If you really want responses it should be under the appropriate category such as Gear or Make Your Own Gear. Here's my test- ...

In User Test Forum » Question about finding JetBoil modifications
January 24, 11:54am

Inverted or upright? (Jetboil Mod's)
If you want it upright then the "Brunton Canister Stove Stand" is available from Amazon for $14. If you want to use it inverted then read the article by Roger Caffin here on BPL: http:/...

In User Test Forum » Question about finding JetBoil modifications
January 24, 11:27am

Polartec X-Static.
I presume the Wicksilver towel is made from the same fabric as the Discovery Trekking Outfitters towel. I'm 99% sure the fabric is Malden Mills Polartec Power Dry with X-static silver fibers...

In Multiple Use Gear » bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
January 23, 11:42am

"Semi-VBL" = worst of both worlds.
Someone asked about a "semi vapor barrier liner". In my opinion that's the worst of both worlds. When you're cold and barely sweating then it wouldn't block transpiration. ...

In GEAR » Vapor Barrier question
January 23, 11:04am

Socks Re: FS: Mid winter blow out
EDITED: Great deal on the socks but I want a bit more cuff, so I'll pass. I do love Smartwool- wear them every day for work or play. Jim

In Gear Swap » FS: Mid winter blow out
January 23, 9:42am

Re: re: REI sale score!
John said: "I don't mean to burst your bubble with the great gear deals, but an afternoon nap on a smooth surface is not the best way to test out a sleeping pad" Agreed, but it'...

In GEAR » REI sale score! $100 cuts 2 pounds from sleep system.
January 21, 8:37am

Re: MSR REactor - who makes iT
Looks more like Jetboil knockoff (or precursor?). My Kiwi buddy had a Kovea folding titanium stove a year before the identical Snowpeak Gigapower Micromax came out.

In GEAR » MSR REactor - who makes iT?
January 20, 9:17pm

Men's vs. Women's Sub-Kilo
Comparing the 2008 model men's 20 degree regular length and women's 15 degree long, both sized for up to 6'0": Shoulder girth: 57" Hip girth: Men's 53", Women's...

January 20, 9:05pm

REI sale score! $100 cuts 2 pounds from sleep system. (Sub-Kilo + Pad)
Last summer I used my 52 ounce TNF 15 degree down bag and 27 ounce Thermarest LE. Comfy but heavier than I want to carry. I had been planning to sew a quilt or topbag for the Sierra Nevada'...

January 20, 2:42pm

Re: Backpakcing Bucket List
43 years old with young kids (girl 8, boy 6) and a job. I sort of have the "before retirement" and "after retirement" lists. Of course I want to hike every trail I hear of, bu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpakcing Bucket List
January 20, 12:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm