BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1084 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...109

Forum » Thread

Re: Occupy _________ protests?
*A dry run was done in NYC the summer prior to protest city-level and federal - level cuts around the time of the 2 Aug budget vote in Congress: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/occupy-w...

In Chaff » Occupy _________ protests?
October 08, 3:23pm

Re: Travel gear advice FWIW
One thing I'd be concerned about during travel is having to track multiple layers. I toured Nevada and the West Coast for a few months back in 08 and lost a vest, then a jacket while preoc...

In GEAR » Travel gear advice needed
October 08, 9:10am

Re: LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife"
Sounds more like a researcher looking for more funding. Bringing this from a "macro" view back down to the 50 meters the researcher mentioned, I'm not really stalking wildlife when s...

In Chaff » LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
October 07, 8:37am

Re: doritos taco salad
How long would the lettuce last (assuming shredded iceberg)?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » doritos taco salad
October 05, 12:36pm

Re: LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
50 m is about 150 ft from the trail. When solo I often startle animals and even with a group in the Gila, we surprised a little black bear, who hauled his butt up a steep hill. Based on my own ...

In Chaff » LNT? Study shows hikers effect the predatory balance of wildlife
October 05, 12:17pm

Re: More areas requiring a bear canister in North America? 2011-2012
Grand Teton National Park started ..... Rocky Mountain NP also recently started requiring them. North Cascades NP will require bear canisters starting next year. Olympic NP ... says they plan to r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » More areas requiring a bear canister in North America?
October 02, 7:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let them eat cake...
@ Kat: Just an academic interest (minor in economics) and worked in natural resources for some previous job assignments. Now I'm just a consumer trying not to be an economic victim purchasi...

In Chaff » Where do you draw the line and how do you get your point across?
October 02, 7:44pm

Re: Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping
Guess everyone needs pee bottles to avoid a shoot-'em up when the inevitable twig snaps at night. Hope everyone's aim is true..

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping
September 30, 8:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: SAR
At the most, a ski patrolman comes over to ask us where we are going, and if we tell him exactly where, then he says "Have a nice day" and that is the end of it. If a downhill skier star...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Alaska search and rescue thin line
September 30, 7:52pm

Re: Re: Let them eat cake...
Kat: Some want higher federal US gas taxes to increase the price of gasoline and cause drivers to find alternatives like electric or hybrid powered vehicles (i.e. modifying behavior, obviously)....

In Chaff » Where do you draw the line and how do you get your point across?
September 30, 7:50pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.