Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1422 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...143

Forum » Thread

Re: New black Zimmerbuilt pack is done!
Looks good. I have a stripped down Zimmerbuilt with a mesh back but more pockets in a winter version for easy access to gloves, hats, gaiters, goggles, etc... could be interesting.

In Make Your Own Gear » New black Zimmerbuilt pack is done!
January 11, 10:25am

My Fac
Tarptent Moment for most of what you have listed. Before that I had the BA Seedhouse but wanted a vent, more vestibule space, etc... This year I'll go tarp but keep my moment for buggy trips.

In GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?
January 07, 12:31pm

Portland vs. Chicago
Go with what feels best as we can get bogged down in minutia. Every city and even small town has its ups and downs. Think the advice to visit Portland in the "off-season" winter is good...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So....how do you all feel about Oregon??
January 07, 12:14pm

Re: King of Denial
Just depends on what you are doing. Trying to make record mileages, one may want to get to minimal weights and max miles possible since chances are they are going to zonk out when they hit the sac...

In Philosophy & Technique » King of Denial
December 30, 10:42am

Moisture in most MREs
Greg Most MRE entrees* are not dried or dehydrated in any sort of way, thus the water (and therefore the water weight) is locked into the food item already, which can add up depending on the num...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » New to MRE's
December 30, 10:35am

RE:... MRE's
The thing about MRE's is you are mostly carrying the additional water weight. These maybe good in arid temps where you may be carrying water anyways but probably too heavy for other uses. Als...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » New to MRE's
December 30, 8:57am

Re: Grand Canyon Permits - fax question
I've faxed some right after midnight which were denied, then some the next morning which were approved so they likely use some sort of random sampling (at least for March trips). Think when th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyon Permits - fax question
December 29, 3:40pm

Re: 2013 Plans
More trips but more spread out - I concentrated my hikes from May to August in 2012, so branching out season-wise and geographically. Hit the Pecos solo 1 weekene, with some old buddies the next, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 Plans
December 28, 5:49pm

Re: Embrace Cowboy Camping With Scorpions..?
You may need to deal with scorpions anyways as they just love folds in fabrics. I've been stung multiple times from Arizona to Ft. Hood TX. (north of Austin) opening up tent doors from backpac...

In Post-Trip Reports » Guadalupe Mountains There Weren't (aka How We Went to Lost Maples Instead)
December 27, 5:02pm

Re: A Question for You Physics Experts
Been awhile since I taught integrated physics and chemistry but I'll take a stab. It takes the same amount of energy to move your mass but (1) there's a time component in the power equatio...

In Philosophy & Technique » A Question for You Physics Experts
December 27, 10:30am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.