BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Earth (mostly)
About Me Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Goal here is more MPD in a UL, yet comfy style to experience scenic hikes without sweating buckets, but also crank out miles if needed for whatever. Mix hikes with travel too. Not into snowy sagas or recreating a French Foreign Legion forced desert march .. but never say never.

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 966 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...97

Forum » Thread

Re: crime
Some carry, more don't . True wilderness usually doesn't require a firearm but staying near a trailhead or highway, maybe. Also, don't shoot the snakes that rattle, that only selects ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you "packing" while you are packing?
July 13, 10:32pm

Lightweight welded seams
When the technology first came out, I got one of the first jackets (Patagonia Jetstream - full features at 10oz with a sturdy feel) and it's still the rainjacket I always seem to pack. I have ...

In GEAR » Whatever happened to welded seams?
July 11, 2:30pm

Lost Coast
Thanks for posting. The Lost Coast area is on my "to do" list and from your pics, it looks like conditions stay pretty much the same year-round (green and fairly wet).

In Post-Trip Reports » Solo on the Lost Coast, 6/23...
July 11, 10:22am

re: My first ultralight backpacking trip (kinda)
Looks like the forest was pretty green and, yeah, looks like you hit TNF gear pretty hard. They've got some good stuff but a similar Western Mountaineering bag (Made in the USA) could zap anot...

In GEAR » My first ultralight backpacking trip (kinda)
July 10, 6:56pm

Whatever happened to weight saving welded seams?
After being the cat's meow a few years ago, I no longer see waterproof jackets and sleeping bags with welded seams replacing sewn seams. Thought this weight saving technology would catch on on...

In GEAR » Whatever happened to welded seams?
July 10, 6:49pm

Effect of sitting on long-term health
OTOH, there's been some recent articles on long-term sitting being hazardous to human health too (in terms of sedentary lifestyles), if one cares to Google. The Doritos lift and 3-liter Pepsi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
July 09, 11:52am

Re: Low Body Fat - The Tipping Point
...as well as full gaiters and snow shoes. But, if we stopped moving for very long, I started to get cold and had to suggest we start moving again Read something similar a few years from BP or...

In Philosophy & Technique » Low Body Fat - The Tipping Point
July 09, 11:46am

Re: Permanently Germ Free Clothing and Socks?
Sounds neat but IMO eventually the abiotic (nonliving) dirt and grime would accumulate where washing would be needed. This is at the point the bacteria wouldn't be in contact with the treated...

In GEAR » Permanently Germ Free Clothing and Socks?
July 06, 12:59pm

Lake Vernon-Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
Nice TR, and thanks for sharing. Nice to see some areas are without forest fires or record 400% snowfall. Just slightly envious. Enjoy.

In Post-Trip Reports » Lake Vernon-Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
July 05, 7:03pm

Re: What to bring for sleep in hot conditions?
I will second a liner. Used it camping in Hawaii with lows in the 60's, wearing my clothes, more to have a little more warmth and something to drape over me.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What to bring for sleep in hot conditions?
July 04, 11:31pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.