BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1110 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...111

Forum » Thread

Fitness and fat melting
Depends what you like and what you will stick with IMHO. I prefer long slogs on a bicycle (preferably a mountain bike) when it comes to being generally "in shape", considering life isn&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fitness
November 03, 7:36pm

Re:Lightweight materials in Mountainsmith
I switched to their Mountainlight line a bit over 10 years ago, when BP mag tested their Mountainlight 3500. Then the Mountainlight line went to vx-21 with the Chimera (5200), Auspex (4200), Ghost...

In GEAR » When did Mountainsmith use Dyneema Gridstop for their packs?
October 31, 9:17pm

UL Liquor bottle
As my civilian work season comes to an end in a little over a month, I'm looking at some long-awaited nights under a moon, by a beach with a well-deserved night cap of Bacardi rum or Maker'...

In GEAR » UL Liquor bottle
October 30, 4:43pm

Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)
During spring, one can encounter a clear trail on the south side of a slope but snow obliterated trail on the north side. I've postholed a trail in front of a group of women but a little worri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)
October 25, 10:09am

Re: Eugene Smith is a Beast
Congrats are in order. That area is a beautiful place for a hike ... or trailrun.

In Other Activities » Eugene Smith is a beast
October 25, 10:05am

Re: Worst backcountry meal ever?
Finding salty water at an out of the way watering hole in a corner of Big Bend NP (TX). That was some horrible oatmeal in the morning, not to mention salty hot chocolate and coffee. Should'v...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Worst backcountry meal ever?
October 24, 6:49pm

Organic ultralight and "waterproof" cotton
In response to one of the above post, the Army was working on silicon encapsulated cotton for a rainjacket as their Gore ECCWS system is pretty heavy for their latest layering system. Didn't s...

In Make Your Own Gear » Organic Ultralight Anyone?
October 24, 12:15pm

Re: Mac spreadsheet
I use Excel on my Office for Mac with compatibility check (I'm currently a Powerpoint ranger)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What have I been doing?
October 24, 12:09pm

Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by Ore. bear hunter
There's no excuse for this although it was a tragic accident. Though the vast majority of hunters are pretty careful, I prefer hiking the National Parks and a few select forests during hunting...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by Ore. bear hunter
October 24, 12:07pm

Running out of gas
I'd go with a combo of simple sugars and complex carbs in normal weather (like the granola bar suggestion above), though I'm partial to a chocolate brownie sometimes..

In Philosophy & Technique » I Ran Completely Out of Gas
October 24, 12:04pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.