Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), but also a bit better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1380 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...138

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Hiking in the Grand Canyon
Going up the Bright Angel is no picnic, so if they were having problems going down ... yikes. We would set out before sunrise from Indian Gardens CG and get to the top before lunch, then go demoli...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking in the Grand Canyon
October 13, 7:01pm

Re: How many BPL members have you met?
About 6 fairly current members/posters and 2 who were active members years ago. 1 pooch.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many BPL members have you met?
October 13, 6:53pm

Re: Taking Chances in the Pecos Wilderness Area
Lots of signage but plenty of secondary trails. All the times I've been up there, I've never seen the fall colors. Thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Taking Chances in the Pecos Wilderness Area
October 13, 6:51pm

Re: winter desert hike
There are 2 types of desert - cold high deserts like the Chihuahuan, Great Basin, then low wet deserts like the Sonoran, Mojave. The later will be warmer in winter. Though the maps show a distinc...

In Winter Hiking » winter desert hike
October 12, 5:30pm

Characteristics of good trail runners
Considering models change every year or every season, what are the characteristics of trail runners to be used in ultralight backpacking? Looking at making a switch from my light hikers (curre...

In GEAR » Characteristics of good trail runners
October 06, 10:20am

Re: Awesome New Chris Zimmer Pack
Luke: Nice looking pack. You said it has a frame, what kind and how many stays?

In Make Your Own Gear » Awesome New Chris Zimmer Pack
October 01, 7:23am

Re: Gear you use off the trail
Like Eugene and others, I use my Darn Tough socks many times at work since I can get away with the civilian version of military cargo pants, sometimes with my trail hikers or light hikers. My wint...

In GEAR » Gear you use off the trail
September 30, 7:32pm

Re: Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
I noticed the old stuff on sale but the new version with a grid pattern. I'm interested but only in the lighter designs.

In GEAR » Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
September 29, 5:20pm

Re: 40 Pounds for 2 night Solo HELP me lighten it Please
".... Not a tall skinny guy... " for clothes; no problem as the lighter stuff tends to wear quicker. I have a discontinued snag resistant zip Tbut why would clothing makers make more ...

In Gear Lists » 40 Pounds for 2 night Solo HELP me lighten it Please
September 29, 10:42am

Re: How many folk backpack all year round.
Lightweight backpacking can be great in lower elevations of Arizona and the Southeast, but in the Rockies (or other high mountains) I don't like overnight soloing in deep snow with short days/l...

In Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.
September 26, 8:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.