Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1240 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...124

Forum » Thread

Re: Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
It happens. Solo'ed it in March 2001, and went with a group March 2007, but faxing an app for March 2008 (height of American colleges Spring Break) early in the morning Nov 1, 2007, it was re...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
February 09, 6:38pm

Retiring baselayers
When the area touching the pack starts to show signs of wear (abrasion), I retire the shirt to non-hiking duty = more use out of the baselayer before it becomes too holy (like 1980's rocker clo...

In GEAR » when to shelf capilene and the like?
February 09, 9:34am

Needles - winter
Nice shots during winter and a different look at the park than most get, though Canyonlands is pretty vacant into November too. Two questions: Were you able to heat snow for water and what were yo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Needles to ourselves
February 08, 2:54pm

Everyday pack
Are you looking for something sleek and minimalistic? Or a pack that can carry laptop, printer, accessories, plus maybe a change of clothes for a business trip? I used my Camelbak BFM for the latt...

In GEAR » Everyday Backpack
February 08, 10:52am

Re: Blacks with Packs?
When I was a military officer, I took a couple of my fellow officers, who were Black, out backpacking and they enjoyed it. After they bought some gear, they stopped going due to time pressures of ...

In Chaff » Blacks with Packs?
February 08, 10:19am

Re: Transition lenses for backpacking?
The newer versions are pretty sensitive. I deliberately put mine in front of a grid-like curtain when the sun is shining through and get a grid pattern in my lenses temporarily.

In GEAR » Transition lenses for backpacking?
February 08, 10:10am

Re:: Sykes Hot Springs
Nice photos but didn't look like many level campgrounds (only backpacked the more southerly Arroyo Seco portion of the Ventana/Big Sur area).

In Post-Trip Reports » Sykes Hot Springs
February 07, 1:33pm

Re: Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
Maybe something to look at, though here we get sunny and windy a lot (article confirms what I thought in that is the conditions where most umbrellas fail).

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
February 07, 1:28pm

Re: Re: What's the cause
+1 on the geography. Everywhere in the American west, if there's an agricultural valley, inhabitants burn agricultural wastes and also wood for fireplaces in the morning as the valleys serve a...

In Photo Gallery » Pollution over California's Central Valley
February 07, 1:26pm

Re: coldest temperature you've experienced?
3F above zero in New Mexico's Gila NF near the visitors center on a winter (short-range) backpack. Add that it was an unexpected cold snap and my optimistically 25F sleeping bag didn't...

In Winter Hiking » coldest temperature you've experienced?
February 05, 11:16pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.