Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, ... thinking about multi-week.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1467 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...147

Forum » Thread

Re: Standardized Boil Time ?
To be scientific about it, there'd need to start at standard conditions in a lab setting. If all the stoves had the same starting temps, altitudes, etc, a real life comparison shouldn't b...

In GEAR » Standardized Boil Time ?
February 21, 8:49pm

Heavy
Taking a large plastic hammer from the car camping world to hammer in backpacking tent stakes. Shattering a whole bottle of powder Tang against some solid snow (made a pretty star pattern)

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Heavy"
February 21, 8:33pm

Re: Upgrading to 3+ season capability
Do either of you feel your pack (lightweight, not UL) can carry snowshoes weight-wise (or other snow mobility devices) if needed?

In Gear Lists » Upgrading to 3+ season capability
February 21, 6:52pm

Spring mixed snow gear - need recommendations
NM -already answered in gear lists http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73756&skip_to_post=629377#629377

In GEAR » Spring mixed snow gear - need recommendations
February 21, 6:31am

Re: Re: Re hole-y
Spray doesn't work: 1) when it's windy 2) when victim is inside the tent, attacking bear/wolves/serial killer outside 3) when wolf is already biting your jugular artery or attacker penet...

In GEAR » Solo Wilderness Security
February 20, 5:15pm

Specifics about studying nature..
Great sources all. In addition to the Foxfire books, learn to identify the plants of an area. Start with some colored pencils and index cards (or "Cambridge notes"), though a weatherp...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 20, 9:32am

Re: 5 week winter hike on the AT, BMT and Pinhoti Trail
I was reading through your blog. I know the South can stay water-logged in winter and saw where you were using a synthetic quilt. Was it pretty much dreary all trip or did you get at least a ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 5 week winter hike on the AT, BMT and Pinhoti Trail
February 18, 11:18pm

Where to get started?
Have you thought about where you are going to hike? Pretty cold in most places right now. I was thinking about this, and Christine, German Tourist just got through winter backpacking in Georgia&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Getting Started
February 18, 11:15pm

Re: Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
I remember the PCT Handbook (precursor to Beyond Backpacking) when it first came out -- with my 7000+ cubic inch pack from the 1990's. Jardine started people questioning why the need for moun...

In GEAR » Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
February 18, 4:35pm

Wegge : Travel the world by trading up
Looking at your current bio, here's a guy who worked while trading up to travel the world with no money ... why reinvent the wheel? http://www.howtotraveltheworldforfree.com Add in your ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 17, 4:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.