BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies ... decisions, decisions
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1226 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...123

Forum » Thread

Re: packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
I've used the old OR packing cubes more for long-term international travel and (+) found they reduce the volume of most clothing (even fire-resistant stuff), allowing a traveler to cram more c...

In GEAR » packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
February 01, 1:50pm

Re: Tarp/Tent Fabric Color
If I were worried about being stealthy, maybe I'd go earth tone (some of that OD green cuben fiber, perhaps). My winter tents (Big Agnes eVent Sarvis 1+ and MSR Zoid 1) are mostly red in c...

In GEAR » Tarp/Tent Fabric Color
February 01, 1:39pm

Re: An ultralight life?
Sounds like a plan, and a budget (or you can think of it as a "spending plan" is budget sounds too much like "diet" ) is always good - but balance #1 with #5 to keep a little em...

In Philosophy & Technique » An ultralight life?
February 01, 7:35am

Houdini new color
@ Peter: It's more of a light grey, if you ever saw their Alpine windjacket (discontinued), the grey is similar to that. I did not notice any shine under a regular light bulb and only a little...

In GEAR » New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
January 31, 9:13pm

New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
First thing (besides the new gray-silver color) that sticks out is the hood has undergone weight and bulk reduction from my 2010 version. No snaps that roll the hood into collar anymore. It may k...

In GEAR » New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
January 31, 8:56pm

Wrapping a tarp around you like a burrito
The Complete Walker described something like this in the shelter chapter under tarps - taunt tarps (Visqueen) and the "Visqueen burrito". Breathability and even breathing can be issues d...

In GEAR » Wrapping a tarp around you.
January 30, 2:41am

Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?
Blueberry Pop Tarts, secured in the bottom of my cook pot. Counts as a fruit serving, optimistically.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?
January 27, 8:13am

Re: Clikstand T2 Alcohol Stove System Review
Wonder why they chose not punch a couple holes on the top so stabilizing rods can put through, forming a grill? Forgot which company sold a windscreen that had an integrated grill (think it wa...

In Editor's Roundtable » Clikstand T2 Alcohol Stove System Review
January 26, 2:21pm

Wet proof down
Assuming it works, it would be great but, as this is a coating, I wonder if there will be a significant weight penalty added to the down? Think it will be up to their sponsored athletes and tho...

In GEAR » baffled
January 26, 2:11pm

Spring fevah?
Not really. Either snow sports in the Sangres, roughing it on a trail that would be a piece of cake in the summer .. ... or taking it easy in Tucson AZ last week getting over the flu ... ...

In Chaff » spring fevah?! who's got it?
January 24, 9:36pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.