BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 791 - 800 of 1193 | Page: 1 ...71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ...120

Forum » Thread

Best UL groundsheet? - Info needed
What's the best lightweight groundsheet out there that can be used as a shelter floor in multiple environments? Kind of thinking in the minimalism vein so I have only one choice in the gear cl...

In GEAR » Best UL groundsheet
January 06, 8:42am

Re: Minimalism
Is a drive to minimalism an aesthetic or a reaction to clutter? I'm kind of in a gray area about this. Civilian backpacking gear packs up small for me but paperwork can pile up. Electronic...

In Philosophy & Technique » Minimalism
January 05, 1:13pm

Vest replacement
Another Feathered Friends vote but for the simpler Hyperion (the handwarmer pockets aren't zippered). Mine is in Epic going strong after several years of constant use both in town and in the f...

In GEAR » Vest replacement
January 04, 7:12pm

Re: Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
Probably an early day down to Horseshoe Mesa to explore. Your last day will be mostly vertical .....up Assuming you can get permits of course.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
January 04, 9:44am

Re: Re: 2 Nights
What about the mule dung on the bright angel trail? Is it a significant turn off for a backpacking experience? Going up you really don't notice, it's more about keeping your pace. Going...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?
January 04, 9:40am

US only medical positions
Because when the wife finds a husband has been out with a hootchie mama, it's best to claim a medical condition (sex addiction) before she doles one out (frying pan over the head or inserted in...

In Chaff » US only medical conditions
January 04, 9:01am

Re: So how many bicyclist read this forum?
Mountain biker here; haven't thought about a touring bike but have thought about adapting my backpacking gear to a mountain bike tour of Arizona's Patagonia region ("Kentucky Camp Loop...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So how many bicyclist read this forum?
January 02, 11:32am

Re: ...Help. 3day GrandCanyon Gear List.
Just a thought: If camping in "the corridor", the soil can be very hardpacked unless the rangers have tilled the soil since I was last there (doubtful). Either a truly free standing tent...

In Gear Lists » I need Help. 3day GrandCanyon Gear List.
January 01, 3:10pm

Re: Grand Enchantment Trail - Spring 2012 (Observations on the Safford portion Dec 2011)
I hiked west of Safford, AZ a couple weeks ago and looking at the route, you will be on a dirt road leading into Safford, from KlondYke*, AZ. Safford is a decent sized town with grocery stores, po...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Enchantment Trail - Spring 2012
December 31, 10:50am

Re: Washing down, insulated clothing in a top loading machine WITHOUT a central agitator
After watching a down sleeping bag expand in a commercial front loader (add with glass door to see the process inside), spend the time to get all the air bubbles out of your down bag. Think a few ...

In GEAR » Washing down, insulated clothing in a top loading machine WITHOUT a central agitator
December 30, 9:56pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.