BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 781 - 790 of 876 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

Forum » Thread

What Base Weight includes.
You're pretty much on target. Base weight includes the pack and everything in it except for "consumables" such as food, water, and fuel. This isn't a contest so don't worry ...

In Gear Lists » Base Weight
February 02, 4:23pm

Re: sternum straps
I don't use them on my Six Moon Starlight, but have on other packs. I think it's a very individual fit issue. I certainly prefer a pack that stays in place without the straps.

In GEAR » Sternum Straps?
February 01, 8:24pm

Re: 2009 JMT...
If the trip is in August you might not need the 20 ounce puffy jacket. I did it this past August and was fine with a merino wool polo for hiking, very light (100?) fleece pullover, knit cap, and a...

In Gear Lists » 2009 JMT, need help deciding new pack
February 01, 12:28pm

BDV Pants please!
Thanks for the offer. I would love the BDV Pants. After reading about the stretchy Schoeller fabrics I've been looking for a good price on some pants to try out. Your FS:Free Stuff price i...

In Gear Swap » FS: Free Stuff
January 30, 3:20pm

Icbreaker
No, just put "kiwi" in the coupon code box during checkout. This is on the payment page after you have specified shipping address and billing address. You can put the coupon code in and...

In Gear Deals » 42% off everything at IceBreaker.com, 24 hours only
January 30, 12:23pm

Testing silnylon before buying large bolts.
I suppose there's a reason that "seconds" aren't "firsts". I was planning to stop by Noah Lamport to check out their products. If they're willing to provide swat...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Silnylon, MYOG?
January 30, 10:23am

Cashmere- even a child knows
My wife had a short-sleeved cashmere sweater from her mom- probably 50 years old. Way too small for the wife but I swiped it and had my daughter wear it to play in the snow last year. Since then ...

In GEAR » Has anybody used Cashmere in the Backcountry?
January 29, 3:38pm

Bigger is better.. to a point
Last summer I foolishly set out on a two week trip with a bivy that I hadn't used in 20 years. I've gained about 30 pounds in that 20 years. It was way too tight. Once I squirmed in (n...

In GEAR » Storage space in bivy? Bivy size question...
January 27, 9:13am

Re: Re: Question about finding JetBoil modifications
Roger said:"The Jetboil is very efficient, but rather slow." From my experience last summer I disagree with the "rather slow" comment. On my trip I typically didn't cook...

In User Test Forum » Question about finding JetBoil modifications
January 26, 4:24pm

California- Re Black Bears and fighting back.
Bear attacks are pretty rare in California- considering 30 million people and lots of bears. Here is the CA Department of Fish & Game bear attack site: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/bea...

In Philosophy & Technique » Black Bears and fighting back
January 26, 1:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm