Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 771 - 780 of 876 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

Forum » Thread

Re: SMD starlite load lifters
My SMD Starlight purchased last summer has load lifters. They worked great just tight enough to pull the pack forward but not so tight that they pull the shoulder straps away from my body. Also...

In GEAR » UL Packs Pull away at shoulders???
February 04, 4:05pm

Make sure weight is per square yard and not sailmaker's yard.
If the kite stores are using sail materials and quoting the manufacturers' data they might be using sailmaker's yards. To convert weight from sailmaker's yards to square yards, multi...

In Make Your Own Gear » UL Uncoated Nylon for Inner Tent
February 04, 8:32am

Now, who else can we rope in?
Roger, I signed up just a few days back. The impetus were your MYOG articles on the sleeved poncho, clothing, and articles on stoves. Thanks!

In Make Your Own Gear » UL Uncoated Nylon for Inner Tent
February 03, 9:24pm

"Packing your insecurities"
I resemble the garage remark. I have enough tents to house a small circus. I just listened to a podcast interview with Brian Frankle of ULA. He was talking about packs and used the term &quo...

In Gear Lists » Base Weight
February 03, 3:40pm

Welcome Nick!
Nick, It's good to see you on another message board. Jim White Semi-lightweight backpacker Semi-heavyweight popup trailer camper

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Member Introduction
February 03, 1:58pm

Re: Coolest Ever
So many gadgets that I want but don't have. Two standouts appear in my existing gear kit: Icebreaker and Jetboil. Icebreaker wins for day-in-day-out solid state function. Jetboil wins for...

In GEAR » Coolest Ever
February 03, 9:52am

Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?
They work differently for different people. For me: Motrin works best for back or muscle aches and it's okay for headaches. Tylenol works best for headaches, okay for muscle aches, not m...

In Gear Lists » Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?
February 02, 10:13pm

Aleve vs. Motrin vs. Tylenol
For me Motrin works best for back or muscle aches and it's okay for headaches. Tylenol works best for headaches, okay for muscle aches, not much good for back aches. Aleve doesn't...

In Gear Lists » First Aid Kit - what's in your's?
February 02, 9:16pm

Re: First Aid Kit - what's in your's?
First Aid/Repair/toiletry whittled down from 2 pounds of stuff (3' of baling wire and 1/2 roll duct tape...) to about 6 ounces. I think the following is fairly complete: -Leukotape "P&...

In Gear Lists » First Aid Kit - what's in your's?
February 02, 6:02pm

Re: Additional Details
The fuel canister generally isn't considered part of the base, though the empty canister could be. It's a consumable. The 4.0 ounce bag is a good place to cut! Sleeping bag- I'm ...

In Gear Lists » Base Weight
February 02, 5:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm