Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt (just started 6 weeks off). Heavy gear in the mid-90's when I was young and stoopid, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013 over 15 yrs (older and er, ...)

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 771 - 780 of 1258 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ...126

Forum » Thread

Re: Ultralight is hurting my son's grades
Not sure about grade-school kids but eventually all students need to learn about density relative to water (you can get online and look at your state's science objectives) as per internations s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight is hurting my son's grades
March 09, 1:41pm

Re: How long have you been a lightweight backpacker?
Lightweight, with a 13 to 18 lb base, a bit over 10 years after reading Ray Jardine's PCT handbook, after it was featured in a Backpacker magazine article (1999 iirc). The Mountainsmith Auspex...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How long have you been a lightweight backpacker?
March 09, 1:34pm

Re: How much vacation time do you use for backpacking trips?
I have a few weeks on either side of summer this year (Sun-friday backpacking, Saturday in town). Enjoy while I can. Weekends are Sunday and Monday, but for a long trip, requiring several hours o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much vacation time do you use for backpacking trips?
March 08, 10:00pm

Re: Re: Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex?
Preferably by offering better goods and services, though marketeering is part of that game. Limiting consumer choice OTOH, by strong-arming apparel makers, does nothing to make their products bett...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex?
March 08, 9:53pm

Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex?
Most companies really do not like competition despite their public claims. If true, they probably went a bit overboard but really, if many own a couple different jackets - not likely most will ow...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex?
March 08, 9:14pm

Re: Re: Beware activities that require new clothes..
My hiking, traveling and everyday outfits are one and the same -- I'd like to get to that simplicity, ... maybe a cubicle monkey job with a lax dress code or go back to an outdoorsy job. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How you look when you go backpacking...
March 08, 8:51pm

Re: How you look when you go backpacking...
Not really, though I have a preference for UV resistant tops, and rugged pants. If needed, I can switch to street clothes at the end of a hike before hitting the restaurant. For multi-day hikes a...

In Philosophy & Technique » How you look when you go backpacking...
March 08, 11:15am

Re: McHale Bump goes to a Secret Place
Great report and except for established trails, there should be secret places. Especially enjoy the "cowboy camping" TRs from California. Pretty nice to wake up to the sun vs a piece of...

In Post-Trip Reports » McHale Bump goes to a Secret Place
March 06, 12:59pm

Exercise
Exercise feels good on it's own, but think we can overdo anything though. An alternative might be to incorporate it into the daily routine, though walkable neighborhoods and safe biking lanes ...

In Chaff » Exercise as a chore or a hobby perhaps?
March 05, 11:28am

Re: Forest Service to Drop Adventure Pass Fee
I read the decision being related to unimproved facilities, the law interpreted as someone should be able to simply park their car for free on an unimproved lot/side of road and take a hike, but us...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Forest Service to Drop Adventure Pass Fee
March 02, 8:42pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.