BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 771 - 780 of 1099 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ...110

Forum » Thread

Blaze orange vs. camo vs. other colors for hunting season hikes
This is about color choices in apparel and gear, nothing chaff-wise: In the local NF (AZ and NM), hunting season is in full swing but I keep seeing hunters in camo instead of blaze orange. Being ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blaze orange vs. camo vs. other colors for hunting season hikes
November 12, 9:20am

MYOG question: windshirt vs windjacket w/ Patagonia Houdini (-like) material
I have a Patagonia Houdini and really enjoy it's wind-shedding, yet highly breathable materials. The helmet and zip collar seem extra weight, however, and sometimes get in the way when hiking,...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG actual windshirt vs windjacket w/ Patagonia Houdini (-like) material
November 10, 10:38am

Re: Wichita Mountains
There's definitely wilderness backpacking in the Wichita but not sure of the mileage. It's near Lawton/Ft. Sill and the backpacking is in part of the Wildlife Refuge. If I ever live for s...

In Pre-Trip Planning » HELP!!!! PLACES TO PACK IN TO A CAMPSITE IN OKLAHOM
November 09, 8:00pm

SUL Joshua Tree trip
Neat trip, often wondered about lightweight desert forays but water always being the limiting factor.

In Post-Trip Reports » SUL Joshua Tree Trip.
November 09, 7:18pm

Oklahoma backpacking
I've only heard of the Wichita Mountain Charon Garden's wilderness and the Quachita NF shared with Arkansas. Seen some trip reports of backpackers in the Wichita and they look nice in cer...

In User Test Forum » places to pack in to a campsite in oklahoma
November 09, 7:15pm

Re: Hiking in the Jungle
I've done a couple trips to Hawaii, backpacking through their tropics and always went with a tarptent for lightweight protection against rain and insects (the Moment this past May and a Lunar S...

In GEAR » Hiking in the Jungle
November 07, 5:34pm

RE: Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argentina
Sounds like an excellent adventure and one of these days ..... I assume at least one of you speaks Spanish? Advice: Get through the Texas-Mexican border during early daylight hours due to the t...

In Other Activities » Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argentina in an 87 4Runner
November 07, 12:13pm

Re: outdoor jobs
I won't argue that, but as far as I know, geology is the only scientific/outdoor-related discipline that requires that you spend a summer doing field work. Camping in remote places plus scient...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
November 05, 10:55am

RE: R1 equivalent
Interesting but from the website, the Airflyte looks more to be a baselayer, like a Pata Sun Hoody without handwarmer pockets, than a waffle fleece like the R1 No mention of it being a fleece or...

In GEAR » R1 Equivalent?
November 03, 9:46pm

Fitness and fat melting
Depends what you like and what you will stick with IMHO. I prefer long slogs on a bicycle (preferably a mountain bike) when it comes to being generally "in shape", considering life isn&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fitness
November 03, 7:36pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.