BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Goal here is more MPD in a UL, yet comfortable style iot experience scenic hikes without sweating buckets, but also crank out miles if needed for whatever. Mix with travel too. Not into snowy sagas or recreating a French Foreign Legion forced desert march .. but never say never.

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 771 - 780 of 987 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ...99

Forum » Thread

Chris Zimmer creation "The Eugeneius Pack"
Really nice pack. Like how you have it planned out to be a family gear hauler plus a travel pack. From the above it sounds like UL-ness wasn't a primary goal but what are the specs?

In GEAR » Chris Zimmer creation "The Eugeneius Pack"
August 27, 6:38pm

Re: SUL and advancing age
I think SUL can a great idea for elderly bikers but, if sleeping on the ground, most would require a thicker sleeping pad than younger SUL'ers. Think the rest of the gear I'm reading in th...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL and advancing age
August 27, 10:07am

Re: Liquid mountaineering
I was able to copy and paste the above link no problem. Kind of a spoof on a competitors ad from Teva.

In Chaff » Liquid mountaineering
August 26, 9:28pm

Re: How many packs do you own?
Backpacking: Retired - Mountainsmith Auspex 75L and a torn Granite Gear Vapor Trail 60L, probably sell the former, do not know what to do with the latter Current - Osprey Exos 34L, Granite G...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many packs do you own?
August 25, 7:42pm

Re: Want to be a Patagucci walking billboard...
The current link above from Rick is close to my layering system: Capilene 2 baselayer shirt and a Nano Puff for camp insulation (or a R1 or R2 insulation layer if you will need insulation on the...

In GEAR » Want to be a Patagucci walking billboard... pls suggest me gear
August 25, 7:30pm

Re: Too much help in the right direction!
Guys, I'm seriously grateful for all the advice and information, I wasn't expecting more than 2 people to even answer my thread It's a safe assumption that many hikers wonder if mu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hope I can get some help in the right direction.
August 25, 11:46am

Western coastal trails
nm

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hope I can get some help in the right direction.
August 24, 10:49am

Re: Whats the low down on the biggest pest...
the Rockies ... so if anyone could fill me in on the risks and precautions I need to take I would much appreciate it. I've seen some decent sized black bear just lumber past me while hiking...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Whats the low down on Bugs, Bears, Snakes and all the rest
August 22, 2:18pm

Didn't work out once...
One winter trip to the Gila, expected lows in the teens went down to 3 instead due to a cold front. To supplement my EMS Mountainlight "20", I wore fleece pants, fleece pullover and a do...

In GEAR » Going with a lighter sleeping bag/quilt (pushing it's limits), has it worked out?
August 19, 10:50pm

Re: Re: This thread is about philosophy and has nothing to do with actual BPL
Some technology may actually help simplify one's life I take that back, having spent every other day since returning from vacation calling my cable company to reset my cable box, just to g...

In Philosophy & Technique » This thread is about philosophy and has nothing to do with actual BPL
August 19, 10:42pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.