BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 771 - 780 of 1003 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: Girls are in the Gila
It's rare, though I've seen girls/young women out on the trail in groups of approximately 10 or so. I've met a number of female-led parties of girls/young women backpacking in the Gila...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Any other moms out there that take their kids backpacking?
September 08, 10:35am

Re: DON'T BUY PATAGONIA STUFF NEW UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED IT
Patagonia makes most of their gear good enough to reuse and this theme has been on their website for a couple years. Good for them to team up with eBay. Some of their clothing has been in use ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » DON'T BUY PATAGONIA STUFF NEW UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED IT
September 08, 10:26am

Re: Colorado Trail Thru TR
Reading your TR, sounds like a dream trip most of us would aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Colorado Trail Thru TR
September 07, 9:02pm

Pecos, New Mexico
Nice write up on a nice place, and sometimes there's snow into Memorial Day in the Pecos. Can't ask for a better refuel stop than Santa Fe. Looks like the trip was just in time since li...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mistaken for Strangers
September 06, 4:32pm

Seam sealing a Tarp Tent in an apartment
If you have a clear space, just tie off the ends to furniture to get it taut. Open windows and fans will take care of any fumes. Did mine indoors as my yard is rocks and cactus - wasn't an is...

In GEAR » Seam sealing a Tarp Tent in an apartment
August 31, 7:07pm

Shotgun?
@Ernie - Shotgun? Might as well be really prepared then. Bring a pistol too for close-in work, cleaning kits for both, and wear your body armor/helmet constantly (as it simply won't do if the ...

In GEAR » Solo Wilderness Security
August 31, 5:34pm

Re: Re: Zooms ... Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
....I hiked a couple seasons in Nike ACG Air somethingorother .... @ Rick: Nike Air Tallac Zooms. Great lightweight boot and they were tough to find from the get-go. Bought a pair and wo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
August 31, 10:06am

Re: Re: Re: Re: How come I see water disinfectant but not filtration in gear lists?
Weight but after a filter shattered while I was using it, disinfecting is my primary method, Luckily my buddies let me use their filters on the trip my filter went kaput but after that, I will car...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How come I see water disinfectant but not filtration in gear lists?
August 31, 9:48am

Expiration date on hiking?
Read a trip report on another forum on a recent retiree not completing a dream trip due to physical ailment despite top-notch lightweight (though not UL) gear. Similarly, I've personally seen ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Expiration date on hiking?
August 30, 11:28am

Re: Re: Camelbak Elixir
@Rick, IIRC the Elixir is designed to come out of hydration bladders relatively easily since there's no sugar.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Drink mixes for hot weather
August 30, 11:20am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.