BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 771 - 780 of 1103 | Page: 1 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ...111

Forum » Thread

Re: How do you make winter backpacking more enjoyable?
Make the trip and sights worth suffering through the long winter night. I have some winterized backpacking gear, but currently most of my snow trips are usually dayhikes to burn off holiday pound...

In Winter Hiking » How do you make winter backpacking more enjoyable?
November 15, 8:58am

Zimmerbuilt
Like the idea above and been thinking of something similar> One reason I came to BPL was to slowly replace my inventory of store-bought packs with customized versions, so might need to take a...

In GEAR » ZimmerBuilt
November 15, 8:43am

Re: Airlite snowshoes
Also says not intended to substitute for regular snowshoes on their website, and since there's no cleats, crampons, etc.. could be some fun sliding ... or not so fun sliding depending on what&#...

In GEAR » Airlite Inflatable Snow Shoes.
November 14, 2:30pm

Re: Insulation versatility
When you need a fleece on the move, you really need a fleece in cold, damp conditions (example: summer monsoon season at 10,000+ ft in the southern-most Rockies or even AZ during their early spring...

In GEAR » Insulation versatility
November 12, 9:33am

Blaze orange vs. camo vs. other colors for hunting season hikes
This is about color choices in apparel and gear, nothing chaff-wise: In the local NF (AZ and NM), hunting season is in full swing but I keep seeing hunters in camo instead of blaze orange. Being ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blaze orange vs. camo vs. other colors for hunting season hikes
November 12, 9:20am

MYOG question: windshirt vs windjacket w/ Patagonia Houdini (-like) material
I have a Patagonia Houdini and really enjoy it's wind-shedding, yet highly breathable materials. The helmet and zip collar seem extra weight, however, and sometimes get in the way when hiking,...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG actual windshirt vs windjacket w/ Patagonia Houdini (-like) material
November 10, 10:38am

Re: Wichita Mountains
There's definitely wilderness backpacking in the Wichita but not sure of the mileage. It's near Lawton/Ft. Sill and the backpacking is in part of the Wildlife Refuge. If I ever live for s...

In Pre-Trip Planning » HELP!!!! PLACES TO PACK IN TO A CAMPSITE IN OKLAHOM
November 09, 8:00pm

SUL Joshua Tree trip
Neat trip, often wondered about lightweight desert forays but water always being the limiting factor.

In Post-Trip Reports » SUL Joshua Tree Trip.
November 09, 7:18pm

Oklahoma backpacking
I've only heard of the Wichita Mountain Charon Garden's wilderness and the Quachita NF shared with Arkansas. Seen some trip reports of backpackers in the Wichita and they look nice in cer...

In User Test Forum » places to pack in to a campsite in oklahoma
November 09, 7:15pm

Re: Hiking in the Jungle
I've done a couple trips to Hawaii, backpacking through their tropics and always went with a tarptent for lightweight protection against rain and insects (the Moment this past May and a Lunar S...

In GEAR » Hiking in the Jungle
November 07, 5:34pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.