BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1154 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...116

Forum » Thread

Re: Washing down, insulated clothing in a top loading machine WITHOUT a central agitator
After watching a down sleeping bag expand in a commercial front loader (add with glass door to see the process inside), spend the time to get all the air bubbles out of your down bag. Think a few ...

In GEAR » Washing down, insulated clothing in a top loading machine WITHOUT a central agitator
December 30, 9:56pm

Quitting TV has gotten easier
Television isn't evil but who really has time for kwappy programming? Working an 8 hour work day (or 2 X 4 hrs if working 2 part-time jobs) with 1 or 2 hours for commuting/errands, then hygiene...

In Chaff » Quitting TV
December 30, 9:32pm

Re: Quitting TV
Yeah, considering my cable bill goes for reruns and ads. It's just too easy to collapse in front of the tube at night with a bag of Cheetos. My buddies have satellite television but that'...

In Chaff » Quitting TV
December 30, 9:23am

Mountain biking in the Alps
Actually a canyon in the alps of Austria; had to hyperlink to the article, the YouTube video is embedded in there: http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/12/the-most-terrifying-five-minutes-of-si...

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » Mountain biking in the Alps
December 30, 8:28am

Re: Hikes in the Southwest - would love input!
I interjected my notes into your itinerary; hopefully I will be visiting some of these places myself if my spring work schedule holds: Am tentatively planning to float around the Southwest for a...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hikes in the Southwest - would love input!
December 28, 7:44am

Colors in the outdoors
Doesn't matter to me though my preference is gray; I'll go olive drab and tan for stealth, ... or brilliant neon for snowsports in the backcountry however. Just depends, and I have mucho m...

In GEAR » Patagonia Brilliant Neon Colors in Outdoor Gear - Woohoo!
December 27, 7:48pm

Re: Transporting stoves on planes
I accidentally left my MSR Superfly in carry-on several years ago while going through a major California airport (keeping my WM where I could see it, in a Granite gear Meridian Vapor which is carry...

In GEAR » Transporting stoves on planes
December 27, 7:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Patagonia Brilliant Neon Colors in Outdoor Gear - Woohoo!
Some of my clothing is brightly colored if needed towards colder temps, but other types (mostly Patagonia) are UV-resistant and muted towards light gray as not to absorb the sun's heat while h...

In GEAR » Patagonia Brilliant Neon Colors in Outdoor Gear - Woohoo!
December 27, 2:15pm

Best classic hikes in the world
The classic hikes are really spectacular but draw crowds during the weekends "in season"; for crowd haters they may not be their best, so maybe 'classic' is a better term. The la...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best Hikes in the World
December 27, 2:10pm

Solo Tent feedback
Ex-bivy user here who went back to solo single wall tents and tarptents. Sometimes I needed a tarp to protect the opening if I had to get into the bivy during a storm, and the combined weight appr...

In GEAR » Solo Tent Feedback Request
December 21, 3:07pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.