Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), but also a bit better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1380 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...138

Forum » Thread

Re: No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
A girlfriends cat tried to be a stowaway in my pack once when we were leaving from her place on a trip. About 15 pounds of feline and a barely audible "meow". When cleaning gear, they s...

In Chaff » No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
December 20, 11:43am

Re:
Maybe young Americans need some place that they can go to let off steam? The US is an increasingly belligerent society on the roads and everywhere else it seems, ... people willing to shoot ot...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 20, 11:20am

Re: Hikers, others rescued ...
Down here, it's the state and sometimes mixture of federal law enforcement volunteers that performs rescues since it's "live training" vs. just a scenario (unless they've chan...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hikers, others rescued in New Hampshire would pay a fee under legislative proposal
December 18, 4:58pm

Re: Newtown
Hope we would all agree the US must do a better job in institutionalizing more of our mental patients and ensure those coded as such in school do not have access to weapons in their respective hou...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 18, 4:37pm

Re: Re: TR: Dick Smith Wilderness, CA FastPack with Ultra-Runner Howard Cohen
Great little write-up, but I'd second the idea of wearing long pants on this trip.

In Post-Trip Reports » TR: Dick Smith Wilderness, CA FastPack with Ultra-Runner Howard Cohen
December 15, 9:48am

Re: Sleeping Bag Liner as Summer Bag
I've used a thinner liner like this, but in relatively warm stable conditions (Hawaii coast... May 2011, check my post trip report on it). Maybe summer in the lower elevations of Hawaii or any...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Liner as Summer Bag
December 07, 9:25am

Re: Camping in the Snow
Great article, as I've only faced snow on the ground (never flurries). An ultralight, yet truly winter storm-worthy tent would be a good project for gear makers.

In Editor's Roundtable » Camping in the Snow
November 28, 8:48am

Re:... a very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
There's been anecdotal accounts written about of wicking base-layers working too well and speeding dehydration, so maybe you were a little too warm and comfortable starting up that hill (=exert...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learnt an very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
November 18, 8:33pm

Re: Winter Hikes (sorta) near Albuquerque?
Will: I based my response on driving within a few hours of Albuquerque, since it takes about 3 hours on I-25 to get to Las Cruces. There are some low-mileage backpacking areas in the immediate...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
November 14, 9:03pm

Re: Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
The Pecos, San Pedros, and Manzanos will likely get much snow. The lower elevations of the eastern Gila, Black Range (Aldo Leopold), and Apache Kid would normally drop into the teens for 3-season ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
November 12, 4:56am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.