BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1117 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...112

Forum » Thread

Stealth camping
@ Jeff: Yeah, I see what Mike is saying, though (for example) climbing out of the corridor of the Grand Canyon will likely require a last night camp at the usually packed Indian Gardens to get to t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
November 30, 1:37pm

Stealth camping
Wondering if stealth includes a small enough pack so you get mistaken for a dayhiker. A big honking sleeping pad strapped to the outside of a pack may give the plan away to an alert ranger. Ditto ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
November 30, 12:23pm

Re: Re: running (specifically trail running)
Probably some way more experienced runners on the board, so I'm interested in knowing how they avoid tripping on obstacles on a descent? I ripped up a lot of skin tripping coming down the Bayl...

In Chaff » running
November 30, 11:59am

Editorial on OWS
Hard to say. On one hand, U.S. citizens have the right to protest and the right to free assembly. Many, not just OWS, are truly concerned with a concentration of wealth not seen since before the ...

In Chaff » Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
November 30, 11:42am

Severely obese societies
It's a growing problem in the western world, and about the only common sense solution is to charge overweight people more on their medical insurance (I saw an article on a US business news webs...

In Chaff » ‘Severely obese’ Cleveland boy taken from family, placed in foster care
November 30, 11:08am

Re: Dont buy this jacket ...
Matt: Their stuff can last a long, long time. An older hiking acquaintance of mine has a Patagonia fleece, bought in 1985, whihc outlasted his hiking career (he just retired and starting some long...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dont buy this jacket ...
November 29, 9:06pm

Re: Grand Enchantment Trail - Spring 2012
I'm not doing the entire trail but will be out doing some sections in Arizona's Pinalenos in a couple weeks (enroute to California once I finish some admin for work), then return via the G...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Enchantment Trail - Spring 2012
November 28, 5:28pm

Re: Scotsdale, AZ or Santa Fe, NM, ... overnight hike?
Camelback Mtn is a day use area. Your AZ options are the Superstitions, probably the Reavis Ranch Tr., as AZ will be warming up already and you will need to hunt for watering holes (may be storm d...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Scotsdale, AZ or Santa Fe, NM, where would you rather have an overnight hike?
November 28, 4:03pm

Re: My list
I want a helium filled backpack so I have a negative weight of about 80 pounds. In other words the pack will lift up on me Think that's been done in the last year or so, with some success ...

In GEAR » Dear Santa...
November 28, 10:40am

Dear Santa...
What gear or apparel would everyone like to see that does not yet exist? Maybe the gear makers will listen (ok, probably not)... What I'd like is one of these companies to design, sew, or be...

In GEAR » Dear Santa...
November 28, 9:39am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.