BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1084 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...109

Forum » Thread

Re: Hiking in the Jungle
I've done a couple trips to Hawaii, backpacking through their tropics and always went with a tarptent for lightweight protection against rain and insects (the Moment this past May and a Lunar S...

In GEAR » Hiking in the Jungle
November 07, 5:34pm

RE: Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argentina
Sounds like an excellent adventure and one of these days ..... I assume at least one of you speaks Spanish? Advice: Get through the Texas-Mexican border during early daylight hours due to the t...

In Other Activities » Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argentina in an 87 4Runner
November 07, 12:13pm

Re: outdoor jobs
I won't argue that, but as far as I know, geology is the only scientific/outdoor-related discipline that requires that you spend a summer doing field work. Camping in remote places plus scient...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
November 05, 10:55am

RE: R1 equivalent
Interesting but from the website, the Airflyte looks more to be a baselayer, like a Pata Sun Hoody without handwarmer pockets, than a waffle fleece like the R1 No mention of it being a fleece or...

In GEAR » R1 Equivalent?
November 03, 9:46pm

Fitness and fat melting
Depends what you like and what you will stick with IMHO. I prefer long slogs on a bicycle (preferably a mountain bike) when it comes to being generally "in shape", considering life isn&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fitness
November 03, 7:36pm

Re:Lightweight materials in Mountainsmith
I switched to their Mountainlight line a bit over 10 years ago, when BP mag tested their Mountainlight 3500. Then the Mountainlight line went to vx-21 with the Chimera (5200), Auspex (4200), Ghost...

In GEAR » When did Mountainsmith use Dyneema Gridstop for their packs?
October 31, 9:17pm

UL Liquor bottle
As my civilian work season comes to an end in a little over a month, I'm looking at some long-awaited nights under a moon, by a beach with a well-deserved night cap of Bacardi rum or Maker'...

In GEAR » UL Liquor bottle
October 30, 4:43pm

Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)
During spring, one can encounter a clear trail on the south side of a slope but snow obliterated trail on the north side. I've postholed a trail in front of a group of women but a little worri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)
October 25, 10:09am

Re: Eugene Smith is a Beast
Congrats are in order. That area is a beautiful place for a hike ... or trailrun.

In Other Activities » Eugene Smith is a beast
October 25, 10:05am

Re: Worst backcountry meal ever?
Finding salty water at an out of the way watering hole in a corner of Big Bend NP (TX). That was some horrible oatmeal in the morning, not to mention salty hot chocolate and coffee. Should'v...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Worst backcountry meal ever?
October 24, 6:49pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.