Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1427 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...143

Forum » Thread

... actual modern nomads
Not really a philosopher myself, but think we need to start with definitions. Are you thinking of being a thru-hiker or a nomad living off the land? Having worked with parts of a Central Asian nom...

In Pre-Trip Planning » The begining of the rest of my life.
February 17, 1:45pm

Re: Re: April Hikes (West Coast or NE)
35 miles from Shi Shi to Rialto Beach which is all wilderness Could double back, take go in for a rest day at the camp near the Ozette Ranger Station, etc.. on the Olympic coast. We got away ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » April Hikes (West Coast or NE)
February 16, 3:22pm

... in the snow
Neat stuff. That boulder helped keep your camp kitchen away from the sleeping area which was a definite plus. Non-gear question: did you scout out the campsite on a previous trip? I take it ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Tioga Road in the snow
February 14, 6:53am

Re: Into a land of rock and ice
Pretty out of worldly pics. Its the same place but sometimes you get into the groove with that familiar place.Gotta say the campfire and hamburger stand look pretty inviting after all that snow an...

In Post-Trip Reports » Into a land of rock and ice
February 13, 5:18pm

Re: Adventure.
I was thinking of this last night watching two young men with blue Walmart pads tied on top of a mixture of old army surplus and big box gear,being dropped off by a pick up truck (Dad?) at sunset i...

In Philosophy & Technique » Adventure.
February 13, 3:53pm

Re: Boots, shoes, and knee support
Depends on the individual I guess. I had a bunch of PT problems hit and civilian/ military docs couldn't figure it out (running in those Vietnam-era flak vests pre-Iraq probably didn't hel...

In GEAR » Boots, shoes, and knee support
February 12, 7:39pm

Speaking of hams and glutes...
Do those foam rollers really work? Mostly to Jennifer but also anyone with any sort of exp -pro or con. Add that may make a good dual use pillow

In GEAR » Boots, shoes, and knee support
February 12, 7:31pm

Re: Re: Help! Mom is coming west.
... but anything closer to the airport will be kind of dreary and isolated. I'll use the Oakland Airport Hilton when catching a connection at Oakland Intl. (prefer SF Union Sq. but that'...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help! Mom is coming west.
February 12, 8:08am

Re: Snow layering
One thing I "noticed" snowshoeing in the mountains overlooking Albuquerque or Santa Fe is that winter conditions change going over that ridge and the wind just cuts right through the laye...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Snow layering
February 11, 8:12pm

Re: Pictures
It's not that purple and if inexpensive, a sacrifice to the eventual campfire spark. Another option may be rotating it in the summer sun and letting the shell turn more gray with UV damage.

In Make Your Own Gear » MAN-ifying a jacket
February 10, 2:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.