BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1212 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...122

Forum » Thread

Re: "best bumper stickers?"
Like the tourist season one David. LOL Political: "Wolves against Sarah Palin" seen in Santa Fe, New Mexico, probably a reaction to the aerial hunts in Alaska (amongst others .. see b...

In Chaff » best bumper stickers?
February 10, 4:46pm

Leakage of down feathers
In 2006, my UL down liner leaked feathers as did a sleeping bag from one of the big box manufacturers, but I was not that impressed with the warmth of either, so eBayed it a few months after buyin...

In GEAR » The heck with Montbell
February 10, 4:42pm

Re: Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
It happens. Solo'ed it in March 2001, and went with a group March 2007, but faxing an app for March 2008 (height of American colleges Spring Break) early in the morning Nov 1, 2007, it was re...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
February 09, 6:38pm

Retiring baselayers
When the area touching the pack starts to show signs of wear (abrasion), I retire the shirt to non-hiking duty = more use out of the baselayer before it becomes too holy (like 1980's rocker clo...

In GEAR » when to shelf capilene and the like?
February 09, 9:34am

Needles - winter
Nice shots during winter and a different look at the park than most get, though Canyonlands is pretty vacant into November too. Two questions: Were you able to heat snow for water and what were yo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Needles to ourselves
February 08, 2:54pm

Everyday pack
Are you looking for something sleek and minimalistic? Or a pack that can carry laptop, printer, accessories, plus maybe a change of clothes for a business trip? I used my Camelbak BFM for the latt...

In GEAR » Everyday Backpack
February 08, 10:52am

Re: Blacks with Packs?
When I was a military officer, I took a couple of my fellow officers, who were Black, out backpacking and they enjoyed it. After they bought some gear, they stopped going due to time pressures of ...

In Chaff » Blacks with Packs?
February 08, 10:19am

Re: Transition lenses for backpacking?
The newer versions are pretty sensitive. I deliberately put mine in front of a grid-like curtain when the sun is shining through and get a grid pattern in my lenses temporarily.

In GEAR » Transition lenses for backpacking?
February 08, 10:10am

Re:: Sykes Hot Springs
Nice photos but didn't look like many level campgrounds (only backpacked the more southerly Arroyo Seco portion of the Ventana/Big Sur area).

In Post-Trip Reports » Sykes Hot Springs
February 07, 1:33pm

Re: Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
Maybe something to look at, though here we get sunny and windy a lot (article confirms what I thought in that is the conditions where most umbrellas fail).

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
February 07, 1:28pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.