Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too. Debating whether to go 2 weeks or more. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...)
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 761 - 770 of 1292 | Page: 1 ...68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ...130

Forum » Thread

2012 model
Breathability seems the same. I just liked the lighter color for sunny but wind-chilled days. Otherwise I would have stayed with the older version.

In GEAR » 2012 Houdini vs. 2011?
July 20, 1:47pm

Re: 2012 Houdini vs. 2011?
Herb, got your Houdini PM on the road to northern NM, so I'll answer on my phone. .I have both and the hood on the 2012 version is simple while the 2010 is a bit more substantial and zips into...

In GEAR » 2012 Houdini vs. 2011?
July 20, 1:11pm

Re: Utah: Coyote Gulch, Zion Traverse, Dark Canyon Wilderness, Ruins and Rock art
Utah: one of those destinations I need to spend some more time in. Love the pics. Some of them had an old photo quality (or it could just be my eyes).

In Post-Trip Reports » Utah in May: Coyote Gulch, Zion Traverse, Dark Canyon Wilderness, Ruins and Rock art
July 04, 10:23am

Mountain lion attack
According to ABC news, the attack lasted for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Hard to say what was going on until we get the lions side of the story but wonder precautions big cat biologists advise?

In Chaff » Lion attack nevada county CA
July 03, 9:53am

Re: Re: Re: Saddened by the Wildfires
@ Daryl: The picture in my current avatar is actually the cranium and upper vertebrate of a large mammal I took earlier this year on a trip near the present Little Bear fire near Ruidoso, New Mexic...

In Chaff » Saddened by the Wildfires
June 28, 2:06pm

Re: Looking for a bivy for my nomadic life.
For extreme cold wouldn't a water resistant bivy be best to avoid condensation for Goretex type materials (think eVent was rated better)? Then again nomads migrate (kind of implied in the name...

In GEAR » Looking for a bivy for my nomadic life.
June 28, 10:41am

Re: Saddened by the Wildfires
Second year of heat spikes in a middle of a decade + of mostly drought (a few wet years didn't make much difference) put many forests and rural communities here at risk. These forests may or ...

In Chaff » Saddened by the Wildfires
June 28, 10:38am

Re: Talk to me about Cloudcroft trails
Picture of one of the few views ... White Sands is visible Most of the time you are in the forest, sometimes with an intersection with a forest road. You will need to get a fire update close ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Talk to me about Cloudcroft trails
June 22, 2:37pm

Cloudcroft trails update June 2012
We switched to Cloudcroft 2 wks ago after seeing the Ruidoso fire from Alamogordo. The Rim Trail is really the only game in town; it's multiuse but all we saw were mountain bikers. Mostly go...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Talk to me about Cloudcroft trails
June 22, 10:56am

Re: gaiters...are they needed?
I started wearing them in the Peco's this year but stopped last week during a Cloudcroft dayhike. Bad move. Forgot how the little stones and twigs can accumulate.

In GEAR » gaiters...are they needed?
June 15, 9:35am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.