Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 10325 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...1033

Forum » Thread

Re: Alcohol in the UK
Hi Chris "in the case of mineralised methylated spirits, with every 90 parts by volume of spirits there shall be mixed 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude p...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves
Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends

May 06, 4:00pm

Re: Thanks
> IPA might not be a good choice in your garage or tent but using it in the backcountry >where there's nearly always a breeze to blow away any byproducts might make it worth > a con...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves

May 06, 3:58pm

Re: NeoAir Width
Hi Eric and Dan Thanks for the feedback about the width. We will have to see what's going on here. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review
May 06, 3:57pm

Re: Temperture Rating
Hi Mitchell With the pad inflated softly I think the R-value would be around 2.5. But that is for a uniform loading or compression. If you have a prominent hip bone then I am sure the insulation...

In Editor's Roundtable » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review
May 06, 3:50pm

Re: Steripen batteries/Clean Stream
Hi Barbara Yeah, I agree!. I replaced that recessed thumbscrew with another one (MYOG) with a raised top. In response to the last discussion about this I have submitted an MYOG article on how...

In GEAR » water treatment
May 06, 4:57am

Re: Re: How much hand Sanitizer must be carried?
You said it, Nick! Cheers

In GEAR » How much hand Sanitizer must be carried?
May 06, 4:14am

Re: MYOG: The Incredible Rulk - Rucksack and Pulk Combo
Hum ... thinking ... I found it refreshing to have a Version 1.0 MYOG article. Sometimes, just getting SOMEthing started is the hardest part. Thanks! Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: The Incredible Rulk - Rucksack and Pulk Combo
May 06, 4:13am

Re: Re: The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves<br/>Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends
Hi Mark Thanks from both of us. Once the alcohol has vaporised and left the vicinity of the stove to become a flame, the chemistry is fixed. What the stove looked like ceases to matter. So I ...

May 06, 4:05am

Re: how to patch a hole in a down bag?
I had a small seam blowout on an SB while in France in 2007. I taped it up with some prepared fabric tape from my repair kit: 3M9485 tape and Pertex Microlight fabric. The patch is still there ... ...

In GEAR » how to patch a hole in a down bag?
May 05, 3:50pm

Re: really need both chem. and filter?
Alternately get a new Steripen Adventurer and some GOOD CR123 batteries. Cheap ones will not work. Learn how to use it at home: you can be fooled if you try to start it the wrong way. Read the manu...

In GEAR » water treatment
May 05, 5:01am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm