Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9907 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...991

Forum » Thread

Re: The Kindle may not win, but it will succeed???
Other factors to consider: * Is Sprint available outside USA? (not in Oz) * Can you load files any other way than wireless? * Can you download .txt files directly to the Kindle? * Can you loa...

In GEAR » Kindle 2.0 is out...almost
February 09, 11:12pm

Re: AirCore 1 Spectra Accessory Cord
Typical 100 lb Spectra is awful thin, and does not hold a knot very well in my experience. And knots like a guy rope sliding hitch or taut-line hitch - forget it! Cheers

In GEAR » AirCore 1 Spectra Accessory Cord
February 09, 11:04pm

Re: Re: Re: LNT and "How to go w/o sleeping bag down to 32F?"
> it's vitally important to protect wilderness areas that we haven't yet trashed. > There is an area in NZ where you are allowed to go, but no planes or choppers are allowed to fly i...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to go w/o sleeping bag down to 32F?
February 09, 4:50pm

Re: Packs that use pad for frame - a stupid idea - Arrogance
Hi Ron I wonder if you have misunderstood me a bit? Perhaps the immediate context of my posting was missed. If I did not make the context clear, my apologies. My comment was meant to be that ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Packs that use pad for frame
February 09, 2:53pm

Re: eBay links
Hi Mike Yes, we do have a ban on posting which reference eBay listings. The reason is very simple: without that ban we would be swamped with an infinity of largely irrelevant spam. As it is, we ...

In Gear Swap » Black Diamond One Shot w/CF poles
February 09, 2:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Fires in Australia
> so there was a fire near to your place? 'near' is not quite how I would put it ... It started a long way away, and went past our place at about 20 km/hr, with a strong hot wind dri...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 08, 5:20pm

Re: Re: Trailstar interior.
Now that is beautiful! How hard is it to crawl in the doorway? Looks a bit low? Cheers

In GEAR » MLD Trailstar
February 08, 4:08pm

Re: Jargon buster
Don't get me started on marketing spin doctors... Cheers

In Photography » Jargon buster
February 08, 4:06pm

Re: Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)
A very individual decision. Some of us (especially in Australia) never use trekking poles at all. Our comments can be a bit derisive in fact - along the lines of 'yet another grab for the wa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)
February 08, 3:58pm

Re: Fires in Australia
> an insert for a Antonov An 124 transport aircraft, the insert would take 110 tons of water The real problem with this sort of large aeroplane is the huge recycle time. It has to land on a ...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 08, 2:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm