BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9495 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...950

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Any news on this project?
> I got the necessary materials to convert the lathe to metal-spinning and to make my own spinning > tools, and did so relatively easily despite my complete lack of experience. Blimey! Ju...

In Make Your Own Gear » Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
December 16, 9:42pm

Re: Newbie Question re Water
Hi Tim > So in short, how do you get the water from the pond, stream ... without contaminating > your hands, your other gear or the opening of the container from which you will drink? ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Newbie Question re Water
December 16, 9:35pm

Re: Seeping floor?
Hi Mike > Have you considered that it might be condensation? Yeah, I too wondered about that, but after messing around pushing and poking the groundsheet into the water I decided it was real...

In GEAR » How to repair a seeping SilNylon base
December 16, 1:47pm

Re: Repair
> I bet the other guests really liked the smell of that! Tough! But I did it out on the verandah anyhow. Cheers

December 16, 1:43pm

Re: Suggestions on a Versatile Footwear System
Hi Nick > Afterwards, my toes felt crammed and felt like the sides of my big toes were rubbing against the insides of the shoes. OK, big fact of life coming up - one which apparently few p...

In GEAR » Suggestions on a Versatile Footwear System
December 16, 1:38pm

Re: How to repair a seeping SilNylon base
Certainly. I did that in a hotel room in Courmayer in Italy last year. Buy some bathroom silicone sealant, possibly dilute it 3:1 with thinners, and paint this goo onto the underside of the silnyl...

December 16, 1:52am

Re: MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)
Hi Thom > (I will not have silnylon versions untill I can find someone to produce the shelters for me. Sewing silnylon on straight seams is not that hard. Lots of pins and a fine thread an...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)
December 15, 5:16pm

Re: Re: Re: New ultralight 1 person tents for 2009?
> MSR's new Carbon Reflex looks interesting. Usual MSR total lack of top ventilation? Ah, the delights of condensation ... Cheers

In GEAR » New ultralight 1 person tents for 2009?
December 15, 5:01pm

Re: Re: MSR Carbon Reflex 1
Hi Ben > maybe CF poles are not all the same and maybe CF poles work well in certain configurations but not others. Very true. The converted arrow shafts I use today are very reliable prov...

In GEAR » New ultralight 1 person tents for 2009?
December 15, 3:54pm

Re: MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)
Very clean. Pole Sleeves: these make it rather rugged. Use above the tree line? Very possible. Add plenty of guy line tie-outs, and reinforce these on the **inside**. Allow a few stake loops at ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG: AlpineMid (SoloMid)
December 15, 3:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm