BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9605 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...961

Forum » Thread

Re: wow - BPL unanimous??
Hi Michael Can't help you too much there. I use a tent and pitch it first of course. If the inside is wet from the previous night I sponge it out and hope to let it dry for 5 minutes or so. ...

In GEAR » How do you pack sleeping bag and bivi??!??
January 04, 5:56pm

Re: not really
Hi Brett It may be that there is no simple answer to your question, for two reasons. The first is that there are so many different fleeces and versions of hi-loft insulation on the market that y...

In GEAR » Another breathability question
January 04, 5:36pm

Re: Organic Chicken Find
I have a problem with the idea of an inorganic chicken. What would it be made of - clay, steel, titanium, plastic? Cheers

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Organic Chicken Find
January 04, 5:32pm

Re: A couple pics
That's rather neatly done. How well does it work? Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Heat Sealing
January 04, 1:42pm

Re: Frame vs. Frameless
You probably know that I favour a light framed pack with an external sprung H-frame. Mine weighs 800 grams and has carried over 28 kg (going in to a base camp in the snow). But I have very narrow ...

In GEAR » Frameless vs. Light Frame Packs for 20-25lbs
January 04, 1:40pm

Re: Anyone use MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp?
Hi Roleigh Been up mountains wearing my poncho ... I have never used the MLD poncho, so my comments won't be a real lot of use. It looks as though it would keep the rain off pretty well a...

In GEAR » Anyone use MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp?
January 04, 1:36pm

Re: Re: Re: sand anchors
While I do not normally carry a knife of any sort (apart from a butter knife), a small pocket knife can be useful with sticks. Sharpen one end to make them go in easier. Cheers

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Seeking trip beta
December 31, 6:39pm

Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps
Hi Graham It would be appreciated if you could disclose your commercial affiliation when selling something like this. If you feel that you don't want that affiliation mentioned in conjunctio...

In Make Your Own Gear » Looking for some Dyneema scraps
December 31, 2:49pm

Re: How do you pack sleeping bag and bivi??!??
I never ever run any risk of compromising my sleeping bag. It goes in a plastic bag inside a silnylon stuffsack, inside a fairly waterproof pack. Cheers

In GEAR » How do you pack sleeping bag and bivi??!??
December 31, 2:44pm

Re: Re: Iridium 2-way tracker vs. Globalstar one-way
Hi Tom > And it will tell you the status of attempted transmissions Mandatory feature! (As others have emphasised.) > Energizer lithium throw-away batteries are still $25 a set (at lea...

In Editor's Roundtable » SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker - Full Review
December 31, 2:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm