BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9360 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...936

Forum » Thread

Re: The Little things
> Triple antibiotic ointment--why are you repackaging? You are contaminating it by doing so. I get the 1/2 oz. plastic tubes, use about half at home and then put the other half in my first aid k...

In Gear Lists » The Little things
November 12, 2:35am

Re: Titanium Walking Crampon
Hi Steve Suggestion: arrange for most of the strap under the foot to be between the metal and the foot. Otherwise the strap will abrade badly in the middle when you go over rock etc - and you wi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Walking Crampon
November 11, 7:28pm

Re: Titanium Walking Crampon
Hi Steve > I am still playing with the bend radius, and the metal actually failed in a few spots. I'll play around with heating it up and growing the rad to see what works best. I have...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Walking Crampon
November 11, 7:26pm

Re: cartoon kitchen
Fantastic!

In Gear Lists » 8 Day Winter Gear List
November 11, 1:37pm

Re: TAD accessory pouch for compass
Why don't you just hang it around your neck on the string loop? Save the weight of the pouch. Cheers

In GEAR » TAD acessory pouch for compass
November 11, 1:31pm

Re: Re: Fat for energy.
I prefer carbs in the morning (lots of muesli, a mix in the day ('bread and cheese'!), and some fats at night with lots of carbs. Digesting fats is 'harder' work, especially at alt...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » PPPPD (Pounds Per Person Per Day)
November 11, 1:29pm

Re: Re: Versalite?
Hi Steve > but the weight of all that fuel literally makes me sick. Ah - and how much weight are we talking about here? For one person in the snow I typically use *under* 30 g of butane/...

November 11, 2:22am

Re: Bad idea? tollay new at this
Shiny coating? That is likely to be acrylic. It is not really all that waterproof. An acrylic coating is very cheap and is commonly used to help the fabric keep its shape. However ... Have a Go...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bad idea? tollay new at this
November 11, 2:17am

Re: 8 Day Winter Gear List
Hi Mike Ah so. Yes, in fine weather in summer I have been known to sit outside on a log while cooking. Easier on the back. Although Sue has a preference for lying full-length on her mat snoozin...

November 11, 2:07am

Re: any import duties sending gear into USA?
A Free Trade Agreement now exists between Australia and USA. This means NO Customs Duties - either way. Second hand stuff did not normally incur Customs Duties anyhow, but that is now history. ...

In GEAR » any import duties sending gear into USA?
November 11, 1:49am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm