BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9573 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...958

Forum » Thread

Re: Yes, Pink
Hi Don I would be very interested in anything you can find about the odorants used. I have found that different brands of canisters seem to have different odorants, and these leave different...

In GEAR » Toe warmers to heat cold fuel canister?
December 27, 2:34pm

Re: Omni-wool socks
Hang on, let me understand this clearly. You are saying that: * SmartWool are made in Korea while Omni-wool are made in America * Omni-wool uses a finer and therefore dearer fibre than SmartWool ...

In GEAR » omni-wool at Sam's Club?
December 27, 2:26pm

Re: hand warmers in sleeping bag
Very small thermal mass => very little heat energy +. very short life and very small area warmed. You would be better off using the weight allowance for a better bag or better clothing. Ch...

In Philosophy & Technique » hand warmers in sleeping bag
December 27, 12:29am

Re: Pink!
Hi Don Pink??? I will assume that 'pink' does not mean 'orange', which would mean some free carbon atoms were floating around. Dunno, but I would like to know a bit more abou...

December 26, 8:07pm

Re: Exploding canisters
Hi Gary No worries. We just don't want to lose any paying members to unfortunate accidents! :-) Cheers

December 26, 5:37pm

Re: Vibram soles in trekking boots
Granted, Vibram were the first to manufacture rubber soles for boots. The company was founded by VIttori BRAMaini, whence the name of the company. Also, they do make good soles. But many of the ...

In GEAR » Vibram soles in trekking boots
December 26, 5:32pm

Re: Nubuck leather vs smooth leater in trekking and hiking boots
Hi Helen I rather think you have missed the major reason for the use of Nubuck leather on outdoor footwear. Compared to surface leather it is CHEAPER. Without this incentive it would not exist. ...

In GEAR » Nubuck leather vs smooth leater in trekking and hiking boots
December 26, 5:26pm

Re: Toe warmers to heat cold fuel canister?
> The toe warmers are claimed to put out maybe 90-100 F, and the canisters can handle 120 F, so > it seems like this should work. Has anyone tried this, safely? I do like the last word th...

December 26, 1:28pm

Re: Long Handled Spoon
> a clever way to mate a 1 gram Ti wire stake to a short spoon? You get the Ti wire red hot, and then .... Cheers

In GEAR » Long Handled Spoons ?
December 26, 1:23pm

Re: Re: Christmas Gear!
Hi jay > give my mum a piece of mind Ahhh... a piece of whose mind? Oh - did you mean peace of mind? :-) Cheers

In GEAR » Christmas Gear!
December 26, 1:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm