BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 9436 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...944

Forum » Thread

Re: Re ; Sleeping bag sizing.
Hi Richard Oh, no worries, I think we all understand the bellows effect. Me, I would pay more attention to the design of the neck muff and the hood, precisely to deal with the bellows effect, th...

In GEAR » sleeping bag sizing
December 03, 10:57pm

Re: Re ; Sleeping bag sizing.
Hi Richard > The fact that the US Patent office granted the Montbell super stretch patent indicates that Tom was correct when he said, Forgive my for my mirth, but the fact that a patent ...

December 03, 2:00pm

Re: Re: Supercat Homemade Stove
Hi Rod > the need to let the alcohol come up to heat fully (prime) before putting the pot on. This will take 45-60 min Ahhh... Would you like to re-read that bit maybe? Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Supercat Homemade Stove
December 03, 1:47pm

Re: Re: snakebite kit- take it in certain situations only
You know, the funny thing is that most bushwalkers in Australia don't bother with a snakebite kit at all. Which is kinda strange when you realise that the snakes we have here are probably the d...

In GEAR » VOTE: Snakebite Kit (Take it / Leave it)
December 03, 1:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Re ; Sleeping bag sizing.
Hi Tom > I don't agree with your statement that air costs almost nothing to heat and the implication that a loose bag is as warm as a snug one. On what basis do you make that statement? ...

December 03, 12:43am

Re: Sleeping bag sizing
Hi Mike > So a concert hall is as easy to heat up as a bedroom? You may be taking things to a slight extreme here? Even so, I will stand by the statement when read correctly: the air in ...

December 03, 12:37am

Re: Walking is like sex...
Both can leave you exhausted and sweaty ...

In Chaff » Walking is like sex...
December 03, 12:21am

re NNN-BC fittings
At the risk of being repetitious... NNN bindings are much lighter than NNN-BC bindings. The 'BC' means 'BackCountry'. > those boot/bindings are not great for downhills that y...

In GEAR » Advice on Backcountry skiing gear
November 28, 10:40pm

Re: LW tents from Australia
Hi Franco Remind me to show you how to sew up sinylon stuffsacks one day... Cheers

In GEAR » LW tents from Australia
November 28, 8:05pm

Re: Re: LW tents from Australia/ snow stakes
> the tendency for wet australian snow at close to freezing temps is to set up solidly around the deadman, and it is difficult to extract a soft anchor the next morning. Yeah - I broke the ti...

In GEAR » LW tents from Australia
November 28, 8:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm