BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7551 - 7560 of 8998 | Page: 1 ...747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 ...900

Forum » Thread

Re: another update
Photography is getting better too. Compliments.

In Make Your Own Gear » tarptent for two and a few others
August 05, 1:41am

Re: How hot can the rubber bits get?
> My first concern would be the temperature rating of the O-ring in the stove and the rubber valve in the canister. How hot can they get before damage or melting? Does the gas keep them much coo...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Lite Max Overheating?
August 04, 4:09pm

Re: Re: Re: JMT Transportation for an Out-of-Towner
> do you guys wear your hiking cloths out on the plane and on the way home, For three months in France with no lockers available, we wore our hiking clothing TO France on the plane. We had to w...

In Philosophy & Technique » JMT Transportation for an Out-of-Towner
August 04, 3:51pm

Just another iodised resin filter
There have been a number of these sorts of things on the market over the years. Iodised resin is hardly new. In my experience, and I have tested a number of them, the initial surge of iodine is...

In GEAR » Lifestraw ultralight water purification system by Vestergaard Frandsen
August 04, 3:47pm

Re: Re: Capsule lines & Back Azimuth
> Say you want to shoot a back azimuth from a mountain peak, to verify your position. You sight the peak on your compass and it is at 300-degrees from grid north. To draw the line upon which you...

In GEAR » Compass Recommendations
August 04, 3:42pm

Re: stoves, stoves and more stoves questions
Hi Jared There are a LOT of articles on BPL about canister stoves, their safety, their efficiency, the amount of CO they release, whether they go bang, and so on. May I humbly suggest some readi...

In GEAR » stoves, stoves and more stoves questions
August 04, 3:36pm

Re: Plugging your site in the chaff section...
Is it a website dedicated to lightweight walking? If so, no problems. But if it is a commercial website for other purposes, I think it would definitely be better avoided. After all, would you w...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Plugging your site in the chaff section...
August 04, 5:13am

Re: Snow Peak Lite Max Overheating?
The pot diameter is OK. It would not be uncommon for the stove itself to get significantly hotter than you can touch. If the stove is very hot the top of the canister will also get hot, or a...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Lite Max Overheating?
August 03, 10:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Hilleberg Nallo style tunnel
Hi Ashley > is there anything about your tents that would make them uneconomical for a US tarptent maker to produce? 'Uneconomical' simply depends on the sale price. Certainly, my de...

In GEAR » Water resistant tarptents
August 03, 2:01am

Re: Re: Sag prevention
Hi Clive I have tried using silicone sealant as an adhesive. It works, but the peel strength is not high. That means that the sleeve for the third pole would be a bit iffy, unless you sewed it o...

In GEAR » Water resistant tarptents
August 03, 1:46am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm