Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7531 - 7540 of 10469 | Page: 1 ...745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 ...1047

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: MLD Site down
My guess would be that Ron is changing to both a new web site server and a new URL address at the same time. A debatable idea, but some stuff seems to be slowly restoring. Cheers

In GEAR » MLD Site down
June 04, 2:07pm

Re: Re: Re: good advice
Well, the way I design my seams does mean that they don't really leak under reasonable load, which is nice. The thread is a polycotton, and the cotton fibres will swell *slightly*, but frankly...

In Make Your Own Gear » spectra fishing line for thread?
June 04, 2:39am

Re: super UL guylines?
Yes, and it's quite strong and guy rope knots work very well on it. However, the stuff is nylon, and expands when it gets cold. Translation: after the sun goes down you find all your guy ro...

In GEAR » super UL guylines?
June 04, 2:23am

Re: Re: "Best flashlight"
> battery is outside and therefore suffers under colder conditions In cold weather I just wear the headlight inside my hood/cap. That keeps the battery warm. Cheers

In GEAR » Best flashlight
June 03, 1:47pm

Re: Roger - Re: Summer sleeping... the options?
Hi Nick Food - yeah, can be a problem. Sometimes if we are *very* tired in the evening it can be difficult eating. The stomach is just too tensed up. The same problem affects climbers in the Him...

In GEAR » Summer sleeping... the options?
June 03, 1:44pm

Re: Beginners Gear/Food List
We took some GoLite Whims to France, not just as (almost) rain pants, but also as something to wear in the evenings in hotels (a few times) when our ordinary walking trousers were muddy and smelly,...

In Gear Lists » Beginners Gear/Food List
June 03, 3:57am

Re: good advice
I have been using Rasant 120 poly-cotton thread on my summer and winter tents. The seams have taken a hammering OK. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » spectra fishing line for thread?
June 03, 1:02am

Re: Re: Katadyn Pocket Filter
> Check out the Katadyn Hiker filter. It's the unofficial standard by which all filters > are judged. Way cheaper and will save you +1 Cheers

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Katadyn Pocket Filter
June 03, 12:53am

Re: Re: Coleman Xtreme"
Hi Jim O-ring details here: http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Oring What you want is a BS006, which should be available at a good engineering shop or maybe a hardware store...

In GEAR » Coleman Xtreme
June 03, 12:49am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer sleeping... the options?
Hi Nick Well, in my experience, cold feet mean one of these things: * a cold head * not enough dinner * Tight leggings (eg Skins etc, seriously bad idea in bed) * a wet SB :-) Apart from...

In GEAR » Summer sleeping... the options?
June 03, 12:37am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm