BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7531 - 7540 of 8998 | Page: 1 ...745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 ...900

Forum » Thread

Re: The Wait for Lightweight
> It is interesting to note, that when I asked footwear manufacturers to show me a shoe that could be used on a two week trip with 25-30# packs in on and off trail terrain, that most still prese...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Wait for Lightweight (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
August 16, 1:54am

Re: Stomach sleeper setups?
Many of us do this all the time.\ I even do it in the snow.

In GEAR » Stomach sleeper setups?
August 16, 1:48am

Re: Steripen Adventure Users: What bottle?
MSR Titan 1.5 L pot also used for cooking for two Decant into 1.25 L PET fizzy bottle(s) cheers

In GEAR » Steripen Adventure Users: What bottle?
August 15, 5:46pm

Re: issue with thread tension - help needed
I am just back from what was meant to be a long snow shoe trip, but it got aborted. A story for another day. Now, your sewing. As far as I can see from your pics, the machine is set up correctly...

In Make Your Own Gear » issue with thread tension - help needed
August 15, 5:36pm

Re: dovetail join, titanium
Working Ti shim: depends in part on the alloy. The common 6Al-4V will probably crack before it folds. CP (commercially pure) would handle better. Ti can be VERY hard to work however, as many here w...

In Make Your Own Gear » ultralight "roll-up" alcohol stove
August 07, 4:00pm

Re: Re: spider silk
Tim What sort of stakes do you recommend with this?

In GEAR » First lightweight multi-day trip: gear-love!
August 07, 2:29am

Re: Re: stoves, stoves and more stoves questions
> I've been eyeing the Primus EtaExpress Ahhh... APPALLING emission of CO when used with the EtaExpress pot! WORSE than the Reactor. Yes, review coming.

In GEAR » stoves, stoves and more stoves questions
August 06, 11:28pm

Re: Stove tests
> I have 10 seconds of rolling boil before the thermo passes 210 F IF (IF) you are doing this at sea level, then maybe trust the thermometer a bit more. The earlier 'rolling boil' may w...

In GEAR » Proposal for stove tests: Use 32F or 0 c water
August 06, 11:24pm

Re: chaff.
> does anyone else think that this is getting out of hand, both content-wise and since this is a lightweight backpacking forum? Well ... this is the Chaff channel. We are very permissive here...

In Chaff » Does anyone actually think that industrial civilization is sustainable?
August 06, 7:53pm

Re: Re: what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml?
> Roger, You haven't lived until you've noticed a hint of tomato and herb in your Earl Grey. Surprise! Even the added bergamot won't hide it. Been there ... :-)

In GEAR » what can you cook in 600ml? 700ml?
August 06, 7:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm