BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7531 - 7540 of 9573 | Page: 1 ...745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 ...958

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: strikethrough
Ben If you scroll up a bit you will find that John Shannon has answered your question already - days ago in fact. Cheers

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Forum Text Commands
December 31, 12:01am

Re: sand anchors
I would not call myself an expert in sand anchors, although I do pitch on sand banks a bit. I normally use long dead sticks however, collected at the site. I find a 2' stick of 1/2" diamet...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Seeking trip beta
December 30, 7:18pm

Re: Iridium 2-way tracker vs. Globalstar one-way
Hi Tom > Maybe BPL would be interested in testing one of our lighter units when they come out. Emphatically YES! Please! We had great hopes for the SPOT when we read the specs, but great...

In Editor's Roundtable » SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker - Full Review
December 30, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Beer Cans being used as cooking pots
> speculation with little scientific evidence is so much sexier to the average un-informed > media/consumer relationship than evidence based science Take a bow, Allison! Cheers

In GEAR » Beer Cans being used as cooking pots.
December 30, 1:36pm

Re: Ground Cloth - GG Polycro vs. AMK Heatsheet
> Heatsheet comes with a reflective material which claims to reflect 90% of the user's body temperature. Which is totally meaningless marketing crap. For a start, you can't 'refl...

In GEAR » GG Polycro vs. Window Insulation Film
December 30, 1:19pm

Re: but in cold/rain w/o tarp??
> my thoughts were maybe to use a two pad system: take a GGthinlight 1/8" INSIDE bivi > to seal the back of quilt and take say a GGtorsolight outside for the interface > with the gr...

In GEAR » How do you use your bivi and quilt to side sleep??
December 30, 1:15pm

Re: winter performance of solid fuel stoves
> I have a good winter stove with power to melt enough snow (Exponent Extreme) I would categorise the Xtreme as the Gold Standard of winter canister stoves. Cheers

In GEAR » Best esbit stove
December 29, 4:47pm

Re: Endurance or Epic Shell Jackets
EPIC jacket, summit of Mt Jagungal, 2008 Made it myself, love it. But not good for heavy rain. Cheers

In GEAR » Endurance or Epic Shell Jackets
December 29, 4:40pm

Repair
Hi Allison That looks awful neat! Let us know how it goes? Cheers

In GEAR » Refuge-X repaired
December 29, 2:28pm

Re: Plastic Fastener Source?
Also www.owfinc.com I buy from them - good service. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Plastic Fastener Source?
December 29, 2:07am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm