Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7531 - 7540 of 10525 | Page: 1 ...745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 ...1053

Forum » Thread

Re: Solo Tarps and Gear
Dumb down, or smarten up? Cheers

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Solo Tarps and Gear
June 15, 7:41pm

Re: Re: Temperature vs Pressure
Hi James Reasonable. The GG pad provided the insulation so the NeoAir did not cool down much. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review
June 15, 6:10pm

Re: re
> at scout day camp this past week, they were getting onto the scouts about tossing water > from their cups out into the woods. That seemed a bit to much. Some people WANT rules, then the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Leave No Trace Ethics
June 15, 6:08pm

Re: both good
> I also was very impressed with the technology of the little brass valve on the underside > of the stove that allows the Reactor stove to repressurise itself (thus allowing for better >...

In GEAR » MSR Reactor vs. Jetboil tests
June 15, 6:02pm

Re: First Project (Tarp). Question Regadring Tieouts.
Forgive me, but ... The webbing will be plenty strong enough for most anything, provided you remembered to heat-seal the cut ends. But the connection to the silnylon is waiting for a strong wind...

In Make Your Own Gear » First Project (Tarp). Question Regadring Tieouts.
June 15, 1:45am

Revised Storm Seal
Hi All Herewith a revised plan for the Storm Seal on the front of the poncho. I have just made a new one. Explanation: Long Black Lines: the poncho shell itself Red Lines: Storm seal st...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Silnylon Mountain Poncho
June 14, 8:19pm

Re: Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography
Hi Chris Yes, I have seen the micro-four-thirds stuff. Not sure: there seems to be some mismatch between the lens size and the sensor size, but how that will work in practice is unknown so far. ...

In Photography » Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography
June 14, 8:00pm

Re: Re: The Deionization of a Golite Ion Backpack
> I once saw a simple daypack made by Calvin Klein, sellling for $300 Cost in bulk at factory: $4 (I can substantiate this) Cost after Shipping to USA: $4.50 Add marketing cost for Calvin ...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Deionization of a Golite Ion Backpack
June 14, 7:41pm

Re: Lip Guard for Metal Cup
Hi John Personally, I prefer a plastic cup for the obvious reasons, but I must say I am impressed by your use of hot steam to mould the plastic around the edge of the Ti cup. Very neat, thank yo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Lip Guard for Metal Cup
June 14, 7:33pm

Re: Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography
Hi Chris You might be right about the marketing barrier. Could be a long time coming though ... How about a Canon G10 with a Foveon sensor? Can't see the glass size working though. Cheers

In Photography » Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography
June 14, 3:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm