Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7501 - 7510 of 10239 | Page: 1 ...742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 ...1024

Forum » Thread

PONCHO!
Just one extra thought: take ponchos, not jackets! The Pyrenees do often get little showers, and we found parkas or jackets to be an absolute PAIN. A poncho can be tossed over yourself and your ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thru-hiking with a 3 month old baby?
April 28, 4:12pm

Re: Drying down sleeping bags
I have a problem imagining that a smooth round tennis ball could do any harm at all to any of the UL sleeping bag fabrics. Nylon 66 is strong stuff. I washed our sleeping bags by hand recently. ...

In GEAR » Drying down sleeping bags
April 28, 3:56pm

Re: a word from the parents of the baby
Hi Nick You're welcome! (But it's Caffin, not Coffin... no worries) > we are both mountain guides And therefore already experienced in the mountains and also at looking after clie...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thru-hiking with a 3 month old baby?
April 28, 3:47pm

Re: What would you do if your doctor said no backpacking?
Hi Victor Your photos are magnificent! Maybe high altitude is not the cause - I hope so! Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What would you do if your doctor said no backpacking?
April 28, 5:02am

Recharging camera batteries?
General question regarding cameras with lithium ion batteries (as opposed to AA batteries). Can you recharge these through the USB connector from your PC? Cheers

In Photography » Recommendation on camera lighter and less expensive than Panasonic LX3?
April 27, 11:21pm

Re: Sealing webbing on a pack
Hot knife is good - but watch out for the fabric. PU or silicone sealant can also be used if nervous. If really keen - unpick the seam, remove webbing, resew. Cheers

In Philosophy & Technique » Sealing webbing on a pack
April 27, 11:14pm

Re: Thru-hiking with a 3 month old baby
Bob wrote: > As for the safety of a front carrier vs. a back carrier, a backwards fall is much more dangerous. Could be a good case for mummy carrying a pair of light (CF) trekking poles a...

April 27, 5:20pm

Re: Stuffing Synthetic Insulation
Light synthetic fills don't usually last for more than a couple of years according to many reports. Stuffing them to any significant compression does reduce their loft quickly. Stuffing very li...

In Make Your Own Gear » Stuffing Synthetic Insulation
April 27, 5:13pm

Re: Another Stove
Hi Jim Another article. My thanks to someone on the Forum for the URL. See www.dodsbir.net/SITIS/archives_display_topic.asp?Bookmark=30533. They state: 'Even the latest development, a ne...

In GEAR » msr capillary stove system
April 27, 5:08pm

Re: Re: Most efficient/lightest current pocket canister stoves
Hi Andrew > And I suppose if you were to use a full screen and leave the stove roaring away for half > an hour then you would probably be in for a pyrotechnical experience. See our art...

In GEAR » Most efficient/lightest current pocket canister stoves
April 27, 4:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm