Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7501 - 7510 of 10149 | Page: 1 ...742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 ...1015

Forum » Thread

Re: Noise; Where to get now
Yeah, very noisy. My wife did not like my sleeping on one at a distance of about 6'. Cheers

In GEAR » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
April 10, 3:22pm

Re: Yet another 3 season gear list
> Eat dinner on the trail at a water source, then hike AFTER EATING 'til it gets dark. Camp > with just a liter or so. Get up in the morning an hike until you get to a water source, >...

In Gear Lists » Yet another 3 season gear list
April 09, 4:34pm

Re: thanks guys
> i did notice a small shock when i exited the vehicle Totally irrelevant to the battery. That's static electricity, and may be due to dry weather plus synthetic clothing. Way back (way b...

In Chaff » I hate city life
April 09, 2:49am

Re: FS: montbell 120 pad (Australia)
Hi Ashley The first things I looked for were the weight, the dimensions, and then the R-value (if known). You don't give any of this vital info. Cheers

In Gear Swap » FS: montbell 120 pad (Australia)
April 08, 8:01pm

Re: Re: NeoAir (Regular)
> if blown up to just barely prevent my right hip from grounding out, the NeoAir Regular is very comfortable But you may have a rather cold hip on cold ground. Cheers

In GEAR » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
April 08, 7:56pm

Re: update on Carlita (name of my 1983 Toyota Sandtana)
You should check the isolating diodes and relays on each battery - between them and the alternator. The relays can get battery acid inside them, which stuffs them completely. Cheers

In Chaff » I hate city life
April 08, 7:55pm

Another good reason for rain mitts
. Cold frosty morning, wet tent from previous night, poles frozen into sleeves. I tried extracting the poles with bare hands, but soon gave that up as a seriously bad idea! I was wearing both mi...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs eVENT Rain Mitt Review
April 08, 3:53pm

Re: Re: "Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?"
I used to use a silk liner, but switched to silk pyjamas when I switched from SB to quilt. Much greater freedom all around. I make them myself out of 8 momme silk from ThaiSilks. As for sleeping...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?
April 08, 3:47pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cuben Stuffsack - Bonded
> I don't know what an 'adhesive carrier' is, There are two sorts of 'double-sided adhesive tape' available. One sort has adhesive on both sides of a film carrier. The ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Stuffsack - Bonded
April 08, 5:09am

Re: Re: Down Sweater vs 2nd Sleeping Bag
Nick wrote: > With two bags, I would worry about compressing the loft in the bags, and reducing the warmth. My understanding is that when they do this with Himalayan and Antarctic double-b...

In GEAR » Down Sweater vs 2nd Sleeping Bag
April 08, 4:55am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm