Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7501 - 7510 of 9773 | Page: 1 ...742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 ...978

Forum » Thread

Re: Endurance with age
Then I must tell a story about a local bushwalking club here in Oz. It is meant to be true. A bright fit young thing decided that she would join a bushwalking club - maybe she was hoping to find...

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight Reduction
February 02, 3:16am

Re: Zig Zag vs. Straight Stitch
I don't think that sailmakers always use a zigzag stitch. They may do so on light stretchy spinnaker fabric however, and that is for two reasons: 1) With fabric which stretches you need a st...

In Make Your Own Gear » Zig Zag vs. Straight Stitch
February 01, 1:44pm

Re: Re: Fill power calculations
> Does the 900 fill power down sustain its loft post the conditioning period? If you mean 900 on the latest IDFL scale, then NO. The reason is that the new IDFL conditioning requires that th...

In GEAR » MontBell Ex Light: UL Madness?
February 01, 1:29pm

Re: Re: Natural wood sealant???
Mineral oil? We must have a difference in meanings here. To me, 'mineral oil' means the same as motor car oil! Perhaps you mean something like vegetable oil or paraffin oil? Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Natural wood sealant???
February 01, 1:25pm

Re: bending copper for preheat tube
Hi Mark There are two secrets to bending tubing without it collapsing. The first one is to fill it up with sand or springs or whatever, so it can't collapse on itself. This works, but can...

In Make Your Own Gear » bending copper for preheat tube
February 01, 1:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Great Post
> walk 50km days with a heavy pack With age comes wisdom too! Cheers (And hang in there)

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight Reduction
February 01, 1:10pm

Re: RE: "DuoMid Bug Net with Floor" - Hey Roger!
Depends on what you want the tent to handle. 3-season? I guess netting would do. 4-season & snow? Then you need something like Pertex Momentum or Microlight, or some other very light uncoat...

In Make Your Own Gear » DuoMid Bug Net with Floor
February 01, 12:44am

Re: Re: DuoMid Bug Net with Floor
Hi Greg Those are AWFUL heavy looking tent stakes you have there... Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » DuoMid Bug Net with Floor
February 01, 12:38am

Re: Cumulus Quantum Models - Pretty Impressive On Paper
The ratings on the Cumulus bags may not be far off truth. Instead of using Chinese down they are using top grade Polish down. They rate it at 870 loft, and from what I know of Polish down that is p...

In GEAR » Cumulus Quantum Models - Pretty Impressive On Paper
January 31, 11:58pm

Re: Waterproof/Protect Tarptent?
Not necessary imho. BUT, whatever you do, do NOT use a fluorocarbon DWR on the silnylon! They are not compatible. If you must, use a silicone spray. Cheers

In GEAR » Waterproof/Protect Tarptent?
January 31, 11:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm