BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 7501 - 7510 of 8998 | Page: 1 ...742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 ...900

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Internal Frame Packs
> That's easy - fresh milk, and warmth at night :) Of course - how silly of me!

In GEAR » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
August 22, 3:28pm

Re: Montbell UL Down Parka vs Jacket
> I thought that the hood on the parka would have more than .1 oz of down in it so that maybe the rest of the parka would not be as lofty as the jacket. What often happens here is that the ja...

In GEAR » Montbell UL Down Parka vs Jacket
August 22, 3:27pm

Re: Re: Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
> What do you consider really low? I have limited experience here; others should be able to give better answers. However, below 10 F seems a bit chilly, while below 0 F seems definitely cool. ...

In GEAR » Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
August 22, 1:48am

Re: Internal Frame Packs
> rent a llama. Frankly, I just can't see the benefit of carrying a llama around. Too heavy.

In GEAR » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
August 22, 1:42am

Re: First (U)L Trip
But the $:fun ratio is usually much better! Enjoy.

In Gear Lists » First (U)L Trip
August 22, 1:41am

Re: Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
Lot of very good advice here. The DriLoft etc shells were a bit of a failure in the field: they restricted the exit of air and water vapour from the bag too much and you ended up with ice inside...

In GEAR » Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
August 21, 5:03pm

Delivery
Hi Will Given the rather rough past history, do you have any idea what the delivery schedule on these tents might be? I'm curious, and I am sure many would be interested. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Sky International Convertible 2P Tent REVIEW Review
August 21, 1:07am

Re: Re: Big Sky International Convertible 2P Tent REVIEW Review on 08/20/2008 05:16:17 MDT
> I've had a few uncomfortable nights when dune sand blew under the fly and settled on my face for hours. New one on me! But of course. I think the tents used by nomadic Arabs have sodclo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Sky International Convertible 2P Tent REVIEW Review
August 20, 3:52pm

Re: hidden errors
> there isn't a single garment or piece of gear i've sewn whose imperfections and "oopses" i don't recall. if you're like me, you'll never be 100% happy with anythi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk, Baffled, Hooded Down Vest
August 20, 3:37pm

Flaps?
Hi Will Interesting. > as the photo shows, the snow flaps are extra clutter when summer camping. Seriously, just how much of a problem are the flaps in the summer time? I confess, the conce...

August 20, 2:33am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm