BPL Community Profile

Douglas Frick (Otter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Wyoming
About Me Douglas Frick has not added a biography yet.
StateWY

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Douglas Frick

Showing 751 - 760 of 768 | Page: 1 ...58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77

Forum » Thread

Baby Carrier?
>One other concern that I have is that I would like to make sure that this pack is comfortable for my wife who has discomfort carrying anything other than a woman specific backpack due to her figur...

In GEAR » Baby Carrier?
May 03, 2:38am

child carrier backpacks (long)
>With a new addition coming soon to our family my wife and I have been looking at baby carrier backpacks. Since child carrier backpacks aren't recommended for children until they can hold the...

In GEAR » Baby Carrier?
May 02, 4:58am

Garmin patch antenna
I have had similar experience of spotty reception under jungle/tree cover with my Garmin Legend's patch antenna. Not really unexpected, but still annoying. Also, because it hangs upside down and te...

In GEAR » Garmin Geko 201
April 27, 12:20am

Montrails
>The Montrails fit well, I need to know about their experience with the support of lightwieght shoes. I love my Montrail Torre GTXs (64.4oz/pair) but they aren't very light. I've recently swi...

In GEAR » What's on your feet?
April 18, 1:07am

water purification
>Am I being paranoid? How do you deal with those? I would like to know what this group thinks. The good old days--when we carried our Sierra cups and drank from every little stream we passed a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Hydration and water sources
April 10, 2:46am

Re: RJ bomber hat
The PolarGuard insulation is fairly loose between the layers of fabric, so mine didn't lose any loft. Maybe yours got stretched when you sewed it? You could send e-mail to Ray; he would be able ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gear Patterns
April 01, 2:11am

kits
Another positive recommendation for www.rayjardine.com. My wife and I made the Quilt and Bomber Hat kits without too much trouble. It takes many hours of finicky work with annoying fabrics, but it ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Gear Patterns
March 31, 1:13am

can stove/stand
I hacked up a Pepsi-bottom/Pepsi-top can stove (inner wall design, no insulation), but I didn't do a very good job. The can-top has a different diameter for the inner wall than the can-bottom, so t...

In GEAR » 1.5 oz alcohol stove and pot combo
March 30, 12:07am

can stoves and pots
>I went down stairs to my work shop and started making the everyday average soda/beer can stove. But this time instead of using the bottoms of two cans I used the bottom of one and the top of anoth...

In GEAR » 1.5 oz alcohol stove and pot combo
March 25, 9:40pm

alcohol stoves
I'm not sure if there's a common name for the side-jet variant of the Pepsi Can stove (same design as AntiGravityGear's stove). I made one of those recently; it worked well enough. I've found using...

In Make Your Own Gear » RedBull...
March 15, 12:45am

All Reader Reviews by Douglas Frick

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Petzl Zipka
I have the original 3-LED Zipka (1.9 oz with Lithium batteries). It is my regular headlamp (when there's little likelihood of hiking at night) and I always carry it with me on day hikes. It isn...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 07, 1:54pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
I grabbed a bunch of random non-Cliff bars at REI before a recent trip. A few of them were wretched, some just indifferent, and a few I thought would be worthwhile to remember for next time. And then ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 13, 1:03pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
The good points are: fast, fuel-efficient, easy, simple, and reliable boiling water. You can hold it in your hand while you boil water, if finding a place to set up a hot stove is a problem in your en...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 10:55am

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I read all of the free articles, and after looking at the abstracts of the Premium articles, I immediately bought a membership. That was well worth it right there. I've also more than saved the price ...

In Books and Media
December 26, 10:01pm

Hiking Light Handbook by Karen Berger
This is a great intro to lightweight backpacking. She covers all of the major gear areas in an uncomplicated fashion, giving overviews of what, why and how to lighten up. The book includes strategies,...

In Books and Media
December 26, 9:56pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I refer to it as my "ugly hat," but it's the one I always grab when it's sunny. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy. I just tighten the headband a bit (easily and securely adjust...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 23, 9:16pm

Brunton Helios "Stormproof" lighter
I don't have a Brunton Helios lighter, but unfortunately there isn't a way to comment without giving a rating. I do, however, have six butane 'windproof' lighters/torches: a Brunton Firelight, a Solo ...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 23, 8:27pm

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
This is a thick book with a lot of useful information. I found it inspiring, with a fairly well-balanced idea of hiking and camping with light gear. I've bought copies for friends, with the simple adm...

In Books and Media
November 25, 2:17pm

Superfeet Performance Green
I have flat feet after wearing rubber slippers in Hawaii for 15 years. When I got back into hiking I found I could only pack for a mile or two before my feet started screaming. Superfeet solved that p...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 25, 1:47pm