BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 7451 - 7460 of 7471 | Page: 1 ...729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748

Forum » Thread

Re: knife
CRKT Wrangler. It is a simple folding knife with an effective handle and a lanyard hole, 2.75" blade, inexpensive (under $20) and just 1.4oz. I was in a commercial fishing supply store and foun...

In GEAR » knife/multitool
November 26, 11:16pm

Re: Safety Lanyard - Better Ideas??
Use small diameter vinyl "spaghetti" tubing and a cold roll pin (see your local auto parts store). The pin jam-fits into the tubing, forming a break-away. If you have access to needle bearings (com...

In Multiple Use Gear » Safety Lanyard - Better Ideas??
November 20, 10:18pm

Re: Re: Portable fence chargers
I did get a reply from Hallman and they will sell direct to US buyers. I have no connction to them and I haven't used the product. http://www.hallman.ca/2705.htm On the mesh sack, I was think...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Electric Bear Fence
November 18, 2:07pm

Re: Who uses/hates the umbrella?
I use a GoLite umbrella and I don't think there is much metal in the frame. It is good for covering your kitchen setup in a drizzle, or as a windbreak, but I wouldn't get the stove too close. Gr...

In GEAR » Who uses/hates the umbrella?
November 16, 1:53pm

Re: Tried three kinds
A web search showed REI handling several modles of the SureFoot brand and the replacment spikes. I wonder if one could cut down a pair of old running shoes in a larger size and add sheet metal s...

In GEAR » Non crampon ice traction (stabilicers, etc)
November 16, 11:25am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Locating Ultralight Pack ?
The Exped dry pack is a little heavy but the design might get your creative juices goin': http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,7750,00.html

In GEAR » Locating Ultralight Pack ?
November 15, 11:55pm

Re: Shoulder Straps? We don't need no stinkin shoulder straps!
Grandma Gatewood crossed my mind as I wrote the message. Talk about less is more. I like to carry a fanny pack that way-- I have too much belly and too little fanny-- or I guess you could say I...

November 15, 4:01pm

Re: Re: Cougar Perimeter Fence or other ideas
The bear spray sounds good to me. Make yourself big, noisy, throw rocks and sticks, and don't run. We were on Vancouver Island years ago and got a report of a 12 yo boy who was on the West ...

In GEAR » Cougar Perimeter Fence or other ideas
November 15, 3:05pm

Re: Re: Shoulder Straps
Here's something that has intrigued me for a while-- once you get below the ten pound mark, why not use a design more like a duffle or messenger bag-- eliminating one strap completely? Ray Jardine ...

November 15, 2:47pm

Portable fence chargers
Check this out: http://www.hallman.ca/2705.htm I have an inquiry in about US sales. Note they recommend it for "protecting supplies from foraging nocturnal animals on camping or hiking trips ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Electric Bear Fence
November 15, 1:07am

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.