BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1185 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...119

Forum » Thread

Re: Transition lenses for backpacking?
The newer versions are pretty sensitive. I deliberately put mine in front of a grid-like curtain when the sun is shining through and get a grid pattern in my lenses temporarily.

In GEAR » Transition lenses for backpacking?
February 08, 10:10am

Re:: Sykes Hot Springs
Nice photos but didn't look like many level campgrounds (only backpacked the more southerly Arroyo Seco portion of the Ventana/Big Sur area).

In Post-Trip Reports » Sykes Hot Springs
February 07, 1:33pm

Re: Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
Maybe something to look at, though here we get sunny and windy a lot (article confirms what I thought in that is the conditions where most umbrellas fail).

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
February 07, 1:28pm

Re: Re: What's the cause
+1 on the geography. Everywhere in the American west, if there's an agricultural valley, inhabitants burn agricultural wastes and also wood for fireplaces in the morning as the valleys serve a...

In Photo Gallery » Pollution over California's Central Valley
February 07, 1:26pm

Re: coldest temperature you've experienced?
3F above zero in New Mexico's Gila NF near the visitors center on a winter (short-range) backpack. Add that it was an unexpected cold snap and my optimistically 25F sleeping bag didn't...

In Winter Hiking » coldest temperature you've experienced?
February 05, 11:16pm

Hiking in the USA
California and the American southwest you can find perfect weather anytime. During winter the lower elevation coastal hikes are great and then as temps rise, travel to the taller mountains. Other ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Maybe Chaff?
February 03, 4:59pm

Re: How Do You Pack Differently When Traveling?
Depends on how many changes of clothing. My last trip to Hawaii to visit parents, I just took an Osprey Exos 34 which also included a no-cook backpack trip while out there, shoved an iPad in the f...

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do You Pack Different When Traveling?
February 03, 3:46pm

Re: selfish - a secret place
Weekends on the coast(s) are packed regardless of the venue. If I ever moved to California full-time, I'd have to work a few weekends to get into the backcountry on the less-crowded weekdays. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » selfish - a secret place
February 01, 10:09pm

Re: Move to the mountains, watch your ...
I've lived next to mountains in a number of western cities and mountain lions have occasionally strayed into the 'burbs as young cats stake out territory. Price to pay but usually by small...

In Chaff » Move to the mountains, watch your kids
February 01, 9:51pm

Re: packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
I've used the old OR packing cubes more for long-term international travel and (+) found they reduce the volume of most clothing (even fire-resistant stuff), allowing a traveler to cram more c...

In GEAR » packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
February 01, 1:50pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.