Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1396 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...140

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: al-Awlaki
I asked the following simple question: 'Imagine you are leading a US Army patrol in, say, Afganistan, patrol an area known to be threatened by Al-Quaeda. You come under fire. Are these 'l...

In GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)
February 07, 7:19pm

Re: Ethics/Morality... Or Pay Pal Gift???
Not sure what the problem is. Looks like Konrad is only trying to keep the price down for prospective buyers, .. not like he will leave the country with $200 or so bucks. There's probably a w...

In Gear Swap » Ethics/Morality... Or Pay Pal Gift???
February 07, 1:38pm

Re: My situation has changes
Wim - Looks like a little more than half of the permits are reservable 168 days out but almost half are only available first come-first serve before 11 AM the day you plan to enter the wilderness a...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hiking Sierra's: newbie confused with the permit system
February 07, 8:11am

Re: Vegan Sleeping Bag Woes
Think condensation at those low temps is a problem regardless of fill, according to recents posts here on BPL. I've been thinking of quilt plus bivy for about 15F but am hesitant due to fill c...

In GEAR » Vegan Sleeping Bag Woes
February 04, 9:33am

Re: Marmot DriClime vest vs. 100 weight fleece vest
Or is it just windshirt material with a soft inside? Its basically a lined windshirt. Driclime itself is Marmot's wicking base-layer and the Driclime windshirt is a wind-resistant layer sew...

In GEAR » Marmot DriClime vest vs. 100 weight fleece vest
January 30, 4:54pm

Re: What New Gear are you trying for 2013
Definite: Tarp (cuben) 15F sleep system (sold mine years ago - miss it) Maybe: 0F sleep system

In GEAR » What New Gear are you trying for 2013
January 28, 6:30am

Re: How often do you hike or backpack?
I've fortunately lived about a few hours from some very good backpacking since 1995 (except when deployed), so it's usually averaged about a weekend a month due to work, household chores, a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How often do you hike or backpack?
January 23, 10:28am

Re: Elk Park/Chicago Basin shuttle loop questions
I'm more familiar with Elk Park and north into the Highland Mary Lakes region, but at least at Elk Park, Beartown, etc.. you can get off the ridges and into the valleys, forests, etc.. by lunch...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Elk Park/Chicago Basin shuttle loop questions
January 23, 9:00am

Re: Pre-trip nutrition
Some sort of fried potato and, as a nod to Eugene, readily available at truck stops (plus fast food joints, gourmet food places, etc..). Try not to get too crazy with the road food to keep "...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pre-trip nutrition
January 23, 8:50am

Re: Ibuprofen risk
Never have taken it unless prescribed but with the muscle/cartilage problems written about, I'll go with the pain and try to remember to stretch it out properly.

In Philosophy & Technique » Ibuprofen risk
January 23, 8:38am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.