BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1103 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...111

Forum » Thread

Re: Jacks ‘R’ Better Sierra Stealth Quilt Review
Answers a lot of questions I had about these looking for a 45*F solution for next summer. Great little write-up.

In Editor's Roundtable » Jacks ‘R’ Better Sierra Stealth Quilt Review
December 07, 9:28am

Re: what do you wear
Southern Rockies in the summer, desert/California in winter: Base (NTS): Capilene 1 or 2 ss (oops, add a Smartwool lightweight nts that needs replacing due to large holes) Shirt: (Rough tra...

In GEAR » What do you wear?
December 06, 6:28pm

Re: Trying to figure out how to use an AA in sociology...
... AA ...[in] Sociology ... Combining my AA background with nature - humans in relation to the wilderness - may have possibilities,.. @Gabriel: Why not a "hoods in the woods" pro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Careers working in the great outdoors
December 01, 8:50pm

Ever type on an iPhone?
According to Eric, he is typing on an iPhone. It's tough enough when I type a response on an iPad2, let alone the smaller screen of an iPhone. Especially the younger crowds are using their...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dont buy this jacket ...
December 01, 10:52am

Re: Florida Boy going cross country skiing
The downhill ski jacket might be too warm to wear while XC skiing but might be good at rest stops or during an emergency. Typical layering should work; in fact you may have to go with just baselay...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Florida Boy going cross country skiing
December 01, 10:02am

Suggestions for Christmas in the SW
This time of year, I'm heading to the lower elevations of southern/central Arizona myself, and think it's within the max drive time you stated. Hopefully the coffee-fueled travel essay bel...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggestions for Christmas break
December 01, 8:02am

Stealth camping
@ Jeff: Yeah, I see what Mike is saying, though (for example) climbing out of the corridor of the Grand Canyon will likely require a last night camp at the usually packed Indian Gardens to get to t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
November 30, 1:37pm

Stealth camping
Wondering if stealth includes a small enough pack so you get mistaken for a dayhiker. A big honking sleeping pad strapped to the outside of a pack may give the plan away to an alert ranger. Ditto ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
November 30, 12:23pm

Re: Re: running (specifically trail running)
Probably some way more experienced runners on the board, so I'm interested in knowing how they avoid tripping on obstacles on a descent? I ripped up a lot of skin tripping coming down the Bayl...

In Chaff » running
November 30, 11:59am

Editorial on OWS
Hard to say. On one hand, U.S. citizens have the right to protest and the right to free assembly. Many, not just OWS, are truly concerned with a concentration of wealth not seen since before the ...

In Chaff » Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
November 30, 11:42am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.