Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, ... thinking about multi-week.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1466 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...147

Forum » Thread

Re: New gear tested: good and bad news
On the bad news bivy, do you think it may have to do with being out in an open area in the cold? Maybe a nearby tree canopy to try it out again before modifying the bivy.

In Gear Lists » My 1+ Season dream list is almost complete!
April 03, 5:04pm

Re: Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
I prefer to stay out a few days minimum when possible, so the gear remains in the pack all little while longer. After a few days, some more hours won't hurt it. Clothing, I'll usually pul...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
April 03, 12:31pm

Re: Writing Style
Good info but your sentences are too long. About 14 words is an average limit to a typical sentence in English. Blogs should reflect the personality of the writer but run-on sentences are a killer.

In Gear Lists » My guide on packing light for an overnight winter backcountry hut trip
April 02, 11:36am

Re: 3 Passes Route (extended version), Arthurs Pass, New Zealand
Good stuff. Sounds like an adventure with all the river crossings, etc... The second trip report I've seen mention the rough conditions of NZ.

In Post-Trip Reports » 3 Passes (extended version) Route, Arthurs Pass, New Zealand
April 02, 7:28am

Re: Glacier Divide Loop ~ Piute Pass, Alpine Col, Lamarck Col
Great pics and report.

In Post-Trip Reports » Glacier Divide Loop ~ Piute Pass, Alpine Col, Lamarck Col
April 02, 7:14am

Re: Multi use: Microspikes
I think they would be a hit on the local golf course. Just stealth camp near the 18th hole to be first in line when it opens to make full-multiuse of your ultralight kit (BONUS: if you need to...

In Multiple Use Gear » Multi use: Microspikes
April 01, 10:10am

Re: Missing hiker on Mt Hood found
Pretty interesting television interview, so reading into her comments, her leg was hurt to the extent that she couldn't forage for wood to maintain a fire.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Missing hiker on Mt Hood found
April 01, 10:04am

Re: Sangre de Cristo Traverse: Poncha Pass to Great Sand Dunes
Holy ... schmokes !!!! Great trip. Was your trip a loop or did you have a shuttle back to the car? Saw the tracks but what kind of wildlife did you encounter?

In Post-Trip Reports » Sangre de Cristo Traverse: Poncha Pass to Great Sand Dunes
March 28, 9:23am

Re: Most important gear item
I would say a good sleeping bag. In the treeline in normal weather, hikers can get away with a cheap tarp, cheap blue foam pad, maybe some netting, and if warm enough, even sans stove. Without a ...

In GEAR » Most important gear item
March 28, 9:19am

Re: Spring Raftpacking (and Packrafting)
Looks like a fun spring activity but is there a limit depending on the streamflow at certain water level gauges? At a certain speed (think it was 1300 cu ft/sec on the Gila), kayaks, canoes, and r...

In Editor's Roundtable » Spring Raftpacking (and Packrafting)
March 27, 7:58am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.