BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 993 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...100

Forum » Thread

MYOB Single gear hybrid
Tuning my Specialized 29er and noting the time it takes for tune-ups, the "made in China" frame, and the fact I want more bike commuting; especially since thinking evil thoughts about ad...

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » MYOB Single gear hybrid
September 18, 11:18am

Maiden voyage of a 29'er
Great stuff. 29'ers are great on trails. A little more exercise but that's a plus.

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » Maiden Voyage of my new ride
September 18, 11:18am

Re: Going Stoveless
Depends on the situation: Hawaii beach hikes with lows in the mid 60F range? Yes. Stoveless is my preferred option, though the hike itself will require carrying more water and other liquids du...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Going Stoveless
September 18, 10:17am

Choosing a bike
1999... probably not if its got an aluminum frame and it's been used consistently with. Aluminum frames start to go at the ten year mark, so the term I've heard in bicycle maintainence co...

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » Help me choose a bike.
September 17, 12:18pm

PLB
If doing something fairly extreme, such as winter hiking/backcountry snowsports in the high Rockies, yes. Along the trail in the summertime, no.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » rescued hikers
September 17, 10:25am

Re: griz attack
Nice article and in response to the recent post(s) above, there's been another incident: From recent news, three hunters got tangled up with a griz, which killed one of the hunters despite n...

In Editor's Roundtable » Guidelines for Grizzly Country
September 17, 10:15am

Re: Levels of Fun - Skurka's?
It's all fun until the ambulance gets called, the police show up, etc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Levels of Fun - Skurka's?
September 17, 10:07am

RE: Where do you draw the line ..
@ Sarah: Not questioning any responsible adult's decision to have kids and for most it's still a lifelong goal, even to the point of adoption. I was looking at economics and technology...

In Chaff » Where do you draw the line and how do you get your point across?
September 17, 10:05am

Re: synth
... the problem IME is rarely with down getting wet for an external source, as that you can prevent and DWR tends to be quite good these days ... the real issue is the down getting soaked from ...

In GEAR » What down fill weight does Primaloft compare to?
September 16, 5:12pm

Down shelled in a water-resistant shell vs synthetics
Why not use down in a water-resistant shell material? A pertex-shelled 2004 EMS 750-fill down bag of mine got wet from condensation (during a monsoon) but simply wiped the droplets off with a cott...

In GEAR » What down fill weight does Primaloft compare to?
September 15, 7:43pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.