Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too. Debating whether to go 2 weeks or more. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...)
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1312 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...132

Forum » Thread

Re: Re. Zimmer 10oz pack - frame?
No sleeve since that would have added fabric (I just open the Thermarest valve after folding it into the pack as per the old Granite Gear Virga instructions iirc). I use the load lifters to shift ...

In GEAR » New Zimmer Pack 18 oz
September 19, 2:04am

Re: Volume?
About 30-35L give or take (I have a long torso, so I have to watch that frameless rucks do not carry like a "Hello Kitty" school pack), -- that was the spec. It's a basic pack, no po...

September 18, 8:25pm

Re: A desert crossing
Since you are hauling your load on wheels, you might want to consider 2 tarps, with a little room between both, as one will still transmit heat to occupants underneath in the midday sun. Worked in...

In Pre-Trip Planning » A desert crossing
September 18, 8:19pm

New Zimmer Pack 18 oz
When speed and miles are needed, a new Zimmer-Built ZB2 style roll top w/twin daisy chain and (removable) hydration sleeve holder inside -- totals 18 oz (21" torso height). Frameless but I us...

September 18, 7:52pm

Re: Glacier National Park WOW!!!!!
Great pics. The ones with the trail stretching the length of the valley (or cliff) gives a perspective of what it's like to hike it. To me anyways.

In Post-Trip Reports » Glacier National Park WOW!!!!!
September 13, 8:36pm

Re: Boys and their toys....
You should paint flames on the sides... J/k ... 29'ers ride fine even without flames. Will take a little more quad action to get rolling but more exercise

In Chaff » Boys and their toys....
September 13, 8:33pm

Re: Is there any gear that your don't go light on?
Not really, except for repurposing (my old multitools go in the snowsports or mountainbike repair kits). My traditional backpacking gear is now used for car camping (Flex-baffled Sierra Designs sl...

In GEAR » Is there any gear that your don't go light on?
September 11, 7:46pm

Countrywide... a few observations and thoughts
I was at a stream crossing taking a break and a guy comes pounding down the trail and immediately starts screaming at me “where do I cross, where do I cross? I can’t lose time”. Maybe te...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » just finished the JMT... a few observations and thoughts
September 11, 1:31pm

Re: MYOG: Supplex Pants
Great idea. Supplex has a great feel to it. How long would these last (both fabric and stitching)?

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Supplex Pants
September 11, 12:12pm

Re: An Ultralight Philosophy Outside of Hiking
Most sailors have only a certain amount of stuff they can bring on board, having read up on sailboat living. I'd go with layers that can go in town or on the trail if your sub goes to ports of...

In Philosophy & Technique » An Ultralight Philosophy Outside of Hiking
September 11, 11:47am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.