Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 741 - 750 of 1236 | Page: 1 ...66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ...124

Forum » Thread

Re: opinions on different types of shelters.
A bivy doesn't really suck if you are only sleeping in it, just laying awake in one during a long rain can get monotonous if you make an early camp. My tarp- tent moment goes up very quickly a...

In GEAR » opinions on different types of shelters.
March 28, 6:22pm

Re: CO rain - overnight?
I've had rain go from the mid-late afternoon through dinner, going to sleep with a deluge outside my old tent at the Maroon Bells in July. Thankfully I was on higher ground.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Monsoon Season - Bad time to visit CO?
March 24, 11:55am

Xterra
My vehicle of choice hasnt been made yet. In the meantime I'm making do with a late 2000's Xterra 6cyl 4WD stick shift, so it can accelerate up the hills of central NM I-25 in front of tho...

In Chaff » Vehicle of choice.
March 24, 11:47am

Re: To snap pics, or not to snap pics...
I started taking a few during hikes as to document and attempt to capture the moment, though my brother the photographer always tells me editing is needed to get the true feel of a landscape. I co...

In Philosophy & Technique » To snap pics, or not to snap pics...
March 22, 12:00pm

Add Tebow-nomics to..: Re: Guns, Global Warming, LNT, Environmentalism, Class Warfare, Hunting, Yuppies, General Politics, Toilet Paper, Nutrition...
Ha, you forgot to add whether or not Tim Tebow is getting replaced as starting QB for the Denver Broncos tonight by Peyton Manning .... and whether another team will now need to teach Tebow how to ...

In Chaff » Guns, Global Warming, LNT, Environmentalism, Class Warfare, Hunting, Yuppies, General Politics, Toilet Paper, Nutrition...
March 19, 5:52pm

Ruidoso
That's a pleasant little backpack though this time of the year, there could be some lingering snow. Go up Argentina canyon (less time going up) but down the Bonito drainage which kind of meand...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Scotsdale, AZ or Santa Fe, NM, where would you rather have an overnight hike?
March 13, 7:46am

Can't see your hike
The address isn't working for search results. I was snowshoeing in the mountains NE of Santa Fe a couple weeks back and there was still a few feet of snow, though the southerly exposures were ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Scotsdale, AZ or Santa Fe, NM, where would you rather have an overnight hike?
March 13, 7:31am

Re: Pepper Spray v.s. Mountain Lions
There was a write up where it was successfully tested against big African cat species, so doubt american felines are that different. Still kind if dicey. Glad someone else is playing tasty human ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pepper Spray v.s. Mountain Lions
March 11, 9:15pm

Re: Ultralight is hurting my son's grades
Not sure about grade-school kids but eventually all students need to learn about density relative to water (you can get online and look at your state's science objectives) as per internations s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight is hurting my son's grades
March 09, 1:41pm

Re: How long have you been a lightweight backpacker?
Lightweight, with a 13 to 18 lb base, a bit over 10 years after reading Ray Jardine's PCT handbook, after it was featured in a Backpacker magazine article (1999 iirc). The Mountainsmith Auspex...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How long have you been a lightweight backpacker?
March 09, 1:34pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.