BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 711 - 720 of 797 | Page: 1 ...61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80

Forum » Thread

Drops or tablets
Dennis, Three people, including me, tested the tablets for BackpackGearTest.org; see http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Chemical%20Treatment/Aquamira%20Water%20Treatment%2020...

In GEAR » aquamira
December 05, 7:53am

More advice
First, an endorsement of three other suggestions. Allen O'Bannon Mike Cleland's two books should be must-reads for any backcountry skier of any type (NNN, NNN-BC, tele, AT). Both tend to b...

In GEAR » Advice on Backcountry skiing gear
November 30, 10:00am

NanoSphere
NanoSphere is a new fabric treatment from Schoeller Textil AG, a Swiss maker of waterproof-breathable fabrics. Schoeller also makes dynamic. I am testing a pair of Westcomb pants (the Syncro)with N...

In GEAR » New UL material?
November 26, 3:21pm

Used FF bag
PM sent

In Gear Swap » WTB Feathered Friends Bag
November 16, 8:38am

Endurance v eVENT
I would say it depends on where you'll be - temp and humidity. I have an Endurance overbag and it's totally waterproof and windproof, though a bit heavy and crinkly. eVENT is lighter weight...

In GEAR » Pertex Endurance
November 13, 8:49am

Athletic fit for tall hikers
I have three suggestions for you. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs, with 36.5 inch sleeves and a 22.5 inch torso. I am often frustrated by having to buy extra large shirts and jackets for the body an...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Which apparel makers are recommended for tall, skinny body types?
November 09, 8:07am

Temple Fork
I have more flyfishing gear than I'll ever use, but I agree that this is a real bargain. Temple Fork makes great inexpensive rods.

In Gear Swap » Backpacking Fly Fishing set-up
November 05, 9:20am

Catalyst sizes
According to Brian Frankle, the bigger the frame the bigger the pack. You can check out XL measurements at my review (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Frame...

In GEAR » ULA Circuit and Catalyst dimensions
November 05, 9:15am

Wool vest
For different circumstances (rest stops on cross-country ski trips when it's not desperately cold) I often wear a down vest over my mid layer; it blocks the wind and keeps my core warm. I'm...

In GEAR » wool vest
November 02, 6:48am

Some suggestions
Nick, If you're looking for serious insulation check out the Nunatak Skaha sweaters (www.nunatakusa.com). Expensive but wonderful, and really lightweight. I tested a MontBell Down Inner Parka f...

In GEAR » Warm Top Selection
October 22, 2:39am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm