BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 71 - 80 of 1559 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Salomon Fast Wing Hoodie
Paul, It is speced at <5 CFM.

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 13, 1:40am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Roman, Yes, the most recent high air permeability EPIC windshirt I tested was a 70 denier nylon, size XL @ 8.7 oz.; it tested 29.8 CFM. It is the Metacam color Windshirt WT 1.0 ($109) sold by Wi...

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 13, 1:14am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Roman, The EPIC process encapsulates the fibers within a woven fabric with an ultra thin polymer film and it precisely places a durable, breathable barrier within the fabric, between fiber bundl...

February 12, 11:05pm

Re: Running hoody
hwc, You said, "... my main purpose of a wind jacket: to block the wind on exposed mountain ridges or summits...". You already have a Marmot Essence in your pack; why do you want a win...

February 08, 8:41pm

Re: Backpackable Wood Stoves: Theory and Ultralight Application
Dave, I recently spent a very cold winter month, in the bush, experimenting with ways to deal with sustained sub-zero temps. I started to do the same research covered in this article. So, I have...

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpackable Wood Stoves: Theory and Ultralight Application
February 05, 11:25am

Norrona Spec to CFM Conversion
I sent an email to Norrona Customer Service this morning. I will post their response when I get a reply.

In GEAR » Windshirt Question
February 05, 11:15am

Re: MontBell and Norrona
Paul, The specification for the Norrona Bithorn Aero 60 jackets at 60 mbar/l/m2/s equates to 7.5 CFM. The specifications for the two Aero 100 jackets at 100 Mbar/l/m²/s equates to 12.5 CFM.

February 05, 12:15am

Re: Re: Montane? Patagonia Nine trails?
Dale, Divide their cm3/s/cm2 value by 0.508 for the CFM conversion.

February 04, 2:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Squamish
I tested a US distributed 2007 Black Acteryx Squamish Windshell (Gossamera without the air permeable PU coating) at 100.59 CFM. I noted the 2013 Arcteryx specification for Gossamera was 7 CFM. I ex...

February 04, 9:53am

Re: I must not be using a wind shirt properly
hwc, To understand how to use a wind shirt properly you either need a lot of experience or an understanding of the related physiology and physics concepts. I can't help with the experience o...

February 04, 2:29am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm