BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 71 - 80 of 557 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What kit sleeping\camp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)
I attended the school in 1981. I still remember the weather. Very cold (below 0 F at night), followed by a warmup, then misty drizzle, then very cold (well below 0 F at night).

In Gear Lists » What kit sleeping\camp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)
October 24, 6:41pm

Re: Re: Re: What kit sleeping\camp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)
I'd also suggest a Google search for "ADK Winter School", and then downloading a copy of the student handbook and equipment checklists -- these will give you a good idea of what to ta...

In Gear Lists » What kit sleeping\camp clothing (Michigan mid Nov, Ontario early Dec, ADK High Peaks early Feb)
October 23, 8:26pm

Re: What Would BPL Do...
I would have replaced the extra merino shirt and windshell with a synthetic insulated puffy, put that over the damp merino shirt, and not put the cotton shirt on until I was ready to hike out in th...

In Philosophy & Technique » What Would BPL Do...
October 22, 5:59pm

Re: Rol?
ROI = Return on investment

In Chaff » November Issue of Backpacker
October 17, 8:09am

Re: 4 oz vest
I just put my Hadron vest on the scale -- 6.1 ounces with the cardboard tags still attached, and the hem drawcord still in place. More than 4 ounces, but for $65.00, I'm not complaining...

In GEAR » light hooded mid-layer + light down vest > than a light hooded down jacket?
October 07, 11:52am

Re: light hooded mid-layer + light down vest > than a light hooded down jacket?
Having just purchased the new Cap 4 hoody and the Stoic Hadron vest, I'm thinking about how to integrate these layers into my clothing system. Need to do some experimenting...

In GEAR » light hooded mid-layer + light down vest > than a light hooded down jacket?
October 06, 10:20am

Re: fixing silnyl in the field - repackaging silnet
I just scavanged the tube of Silnet out of a Gear Aid Sil-Fix repair kit. It's a 0.25 ounce tube...

In GEAR » fixing silnyl in the field - repackaging silnet
September 30, 6:16pm

Re: Re: MH Direkt 2 4 season tent
There's a thread from August of this year, over on cascadeclimbers.com discussing it. There's some useful information in it, and several pictures of an actual Direkt 2. The thread is in the...

In GEAR » MH Direkt 2 4 season tent
September 18, 10:54am

Re: FS - Men's Montrail Mountain Masochist
Bump...

In Gear Swap » FS - Men's Montrail Mountain Masochist
September 17, 6:34pm

Re: PLQ Pullover.
Bob J -- I sent my PayPal address to you via PM...

In Gear Swap » FS - MB Alpine Light Down Jacket/ID PLQ Pullover
September 16, 2:35pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm