Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 71 - 80 of 286 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...29

Forum » Thread

coyote
I love the photo Bob! Any chance you have a larger resolution version of it? I love coyotes. I know lots of people view them as a nuasance, and pest, but I think they are gorgeous animals. P...

In Photo Gallery » a nice puppy dog photo
December 29, 11:01pm

Promaster
My new tripod (full featured) is the ProMaster XC552: http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=XC522 The listed weight is 1.9 lbs, shich is accurate if you are NOT including the included b...

In Photography » State of the Market - Fully Functioning Lightweight Tripods
December 27, 10:57am

moto-camping
Motorcycle touring/ camping is probably my favorite hobby, bar none. IN the past few years I have also added backpacking to my list of hobbies. I enjoyed the article, and agree that they share ma...

In Editor's Roundtable » Moto-Backpacking
December 25, 1:21am

Re: Rattlesnake hazards
Similar experience here Don, 15 years and counting on a wilderness SAR team (and deputy sheriff/ coroner) and not one call involving a snake bite victim, or any in the history of our team that I am...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 24, 6:33pm

domesticated snakes
Cesar, I'm sure you are right. There is a big difference between a docile domesticated animal and a wild one. I wouldn't encourage cuddling up with a rattler. ;-) I know that my story i...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 24, 1:29pm

snakes
"Asps Indy, very dangerous...you go first." :) My only comment is about the snakes liking areas of warmth. Growing up we had a couple garter snakes, a green tree snake, and a rosy bo...

December 24, 12:53pm

Re: the problem with Paul ...
Peter, awesome post! :) I got a good laugh out of it thanks to your good sense of humor. This is an interesting topic. When I hear about incredibly long journeys with very light gear, I am im...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest ultraight BP w/o replenishing?
December 21, 11:06pm

Rae Lakes from the East side
Hello all, I'm looking for a bit of info on getting to Rae Lakes either mid or late season 2014. In "Sierra South: backcountry trips in California's Sierra Nevada", they list the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Rae Lakes from the East side
December 21, 3:03pm

Re: Fire under a silnylon tarp (Video)
Thanks for the video. I'm a little wary of fire and nylon, but that video was a real eye opener to me. That was a pretty decent fire, putting off a lot of heat to be under a silnylon tarp. I...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire under a silnylon tarp (Video)
December 16, 2:18pm

Re: "1000 Island Lake in winter"
Jeffrey, thanks for the comparison. My first and only attempt at snowshoeing was a complete disaster, probably due to the several feet of new snow that fell overnight. Unfortunately it really sou...

In Winter Hiking » 1000 Island Lake in winter
December 15, 2:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.