BPL Community Profile

Brett . (Brett1234) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale CA
About Me Brett . has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListSummer gear list 10'C

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brett .

Showing 71 - 80 of 1437 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...144

Forum » Thread

kovea jetboil ripoff.
When I need liter after liter of boiling water as fast as possible, I take my jetboil.. now I see there is a variant of the design being sold by Kovea. Instead of a flux-ring, they use 'sunspot...

In GEAR » kovea jetboil ripoff.
March 31, 7:51pm

FS: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
You bought it from REI and its still like new? Never too late to return it then. Dont even need a receipt. They can locate the purchase based on approx. buy time in the computer.

In Gear Swap » FS: Granite Gear Vapor Trail
March 31, 6:54am

re:"Kelty White Cloud?"/no, get Cilogear
Robert, I also recommned a Cilogear, for the same reasons Jeremey said. I own two of them; a 45L, and the "Schoolbag" which is actually a small technical pack. The D-clips make these pa...

In GEAR » Kelty White Cloud?
March 26, 2:04am

Re:Pit Zips Good or Hype ?/good
John, in my experience, pit zips are great for dumping heat without exposing inner layers to precipitation. No fabric can breathe as well as a protected vent, (yes, I've owned Epic). The additi...

In GEAR » Pit Zips Good or Hype ?
March 23, 8:01pm

sorry duplicate
duplicate

In Philosophy & Technique » Anybody want gear in more natural colors?
March 17, 10:16pm

Re:Anybody want gear in more natural colors?
Not me, Im always trying to find more vibrant colors to breakup the mass of black, tan, khaki, grey, and brown "outdoor" gear and clothing. REI branded stuff is a good example- really dra...

In Philosophy & Technique » Anybody want gear in more natural colors?
March 17, 9:03pm

Re:Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS / answer is the baffles
The answer is the stretch/baffle system in the MB bags. I own 3 MB bags (and others) and appreciate them primarily for that system. The fill to total weight ratio is a little lower because the bag...

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
March 16, 11:03pm

Re:When have you gone too light..3 tests
Ian makes great points. I would summarize it as too many generations of LW gear sitting on the shelves at home, but not enough in your pack when you need it. I also learned modern LW backpacking...

In Philosophy & Technique » When have you gone too light?
March 16, 9:09pm

Down vs. Synthetic
I dont know how many times this subject has come up at BPL, but I never tire of chiming in. In humid conditions or if the bag has a good chance of getting wet, choose synthetics. In dry conditions...

In GEAR » Down vs. Synthetic Quilt/Bag
March 10, 3:42am

new mid height light hiker boots/Inov8 or Montrail
I also recommend the Inov8 390s. Of course you are not going to get as much support, stiffness, torsional rigidity, protection, crampon compatibility, or insulation from a 390 gram boot, but for ...

In GEAR » Recommendation 4 new mid height light hiker boots
March 09, 4:05am

All Reader Reviews by Brett .

Showing 1 - 10 of 32 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

5.11 gear Tactical nylon pants
These pants weigh in at 720grams, that's a pound and a half, folks. I bought them as winter hiking pants because I do not need the convertable feature of my other pants in winter, but I found thes...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
December 05, 10:00pm

Petzl Tikka XP
In preparation for a night hike I wanted to buy a new headlamp. Technology has come a long way since my old Zipka Plus.. (and I couldn't find it!) After a few hours of research including

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
September 04, 11:58pm

Cilogear Schoolbag
I got my second Cilogear last week, what Graham calls the "Schoolbag". Here in BPL land it makes for a very nice day-hiking pack and I bet many BPL members could fit a weekend kit into its 3...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
September 04, 3:30am

tiny BIC lighter (the cute one)
I carry various types of fire making gear for my own educational and practice purposes, but I always have one of these 11 gram bics taped to my keychain or in my pot set. They won't flame when soa...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 06, 10:53pm

SnowClaw Backcountry Shovel Racer Backcountry Shovel
My snow claw is one of the more recent models. I used it on one winter trip for bivy prep; I can move snow at a higher rate than with a shovel due to the low inertia of the blade; I dug into a 45'...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
August 05, 11:44pm

Montbell Versalite rain pants
Just bought these today and tested them in a thunderstorm tonight. My usual test sequence is based on recommendations from one of our members. 1. The sitting test applies about 10,000mm head; 2. kneel...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 30, 9:25am

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
This device reliably makes sparks as advertised; even when wet. But so will an 11 gram mini-bic. So I carry the bic. Also, the tiny spark-maker from a Spark-lite is also a fraction of this item'...

In Cookware - Other
July 30, 9:07am

Petzl Zipka
If I only kept one light out of my selection; I would keep this one. Additionally, if someone requested my advice on one light to buy, this would be it. It is my default flashlight for any situation. ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
July 30, 8:55am

Montbell U.L. 90 Sleeping Pad U.L. 90
I own the 120cm version, but aside from the dimensions and weight, it is identical. This pad is not remarkable on its own, but as part of the Montbell sleep system, it is. The toggles mate with the...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 19, 2:04am

Sealskinz gloves
Sealskinz absorb water like a big fat sponge, and weighing them on my scale, they did indeed double in weight when wet. Totally unaceptable, and uncomfortable. Returned to REI.

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
July 09, 9:32pm