Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 8773 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...878

Forum » Thread

Re: Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
Someone at portlandhikers.org just did a trip to Tanner Butte and Dublin Lake. Lake frozen over but no snow on ground. That's about as high as anywhere else in the gorge like the PCT. Weat...

In Winter Hiking » Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
December 19, 7:01pm

Re: OWFINC Site
I just tried the owfinc site and it's totally screwed up. Earlier today it was much better. It's been screwed up for months and they keep saying they're going to fix it. You can down...

In Make Your Own Gear » Clothing Material Advice.
December 19, 4:48pm

Re: Please check my math
Same here - just my opinion 10-15% overage = thin spots like the recent JRB quilt thread? maybe 25% is better? I made a vest which is a little different and it's more like 40% overfill (act...

In GEAR » Please check my math
December 19, 10:18am

Taste of melted snow water
"Don't you think stream water tastes better than snow melted in a pot?" I wonder why that is? Melted snow water has an odd taste. Stream water is much better.

In Winter Hiking » Snow melting techniques
December 19, 8:04am

Re: Plastic
Same here - 3 mil polyethylene - plenty strong enough for a number of nights - only a little heavier than silnylon - try out several configurations and sizes to see what works. I used duct tape,...

In Make Your Own Gear » Quick and dirty tarp ideas. Who has them?!
December 18, 7:50am

Re: Width
I use 1/2 inch grosgrain for tie-outs Seems more than strong enough, lightweight, plenty big enough to spread load to silnylon

In Make Your Own Gear » Need MYOG 5x10 tarp advice
December 18, 7:41am

Re: Re: Question for Dan
0.75 oz/yd2 down a ways in http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40995

In Philosophy & Technique » Cuben v Silnylon (weight v cost)
December 17, 7:06pm

Re: glue it
Yes, hem edges, fold over twice and sew one row of stitches. You could glue it, but that would be a lot more work than sewing. You can't figure out flat felled seam? Did you see http://thr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need MYOG 5x10 tarp advice
December 17, 1:38pm

Re: Clothing Material Advice.
I made mine with Supplex - fine weave nylon that feels sort of like cotton. I got it from local fabric store, but owfinc.com and others sell it. It's not exactly "wicking" but I...

In Make Your Own Gear » Clothing Material Advice.
December 17, 1:25pm

Re: What to do with old wool socks?
I don't know, but I hate the fact that I have all these perfectly good socks, except the soles and heels are worn out.

In GEAR » What to do with old wool socks?
December 11, 4:13pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.