Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 8972 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...898

Forum » Thread

Re: The Carbon Flame War
Why aren't the Norfolk police impounding the computers of all the major Republican politicians?

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 05, 1:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions
"Sorry for spelling and grammar. I am using my phone and not going slow enough. Sorry." what is "tip and taff"? : )

In Make Your Own Gear » Apex compressiblility?
February 05, 1:05pm

Re: Summer quilt Questions
calendaring - Heat and pressure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendering

In Make Your Own Gear » Apex compressiblility?
February 05, 11:42am

Re: I made a synthetic quilt (1st sewing project ever)
Nice job! I think it should be good at 30 F if you wear down jacket inside. I've worn similar colder than that.

In Make Your Own Gear » I made a synthetic quilt (1st sewing project ever)
February 04, 8:51pm

Re: Patterns...
I made a pretty basic jacket. Described in http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_event_jacket.html. Including the pattern. I think you have to be a member to look at that...

In Make Your Own Gear » Jacket patterns
February 04, 8:47pm

Re: Upright canister in cold weather
Good ideas Roger, I'll try them next time This was sort of quick and dirty : )

In Make Your Own Gear » Upright canister in cold weather
February 04, 2:22pm

Upright canister in cold weather
It was 29F. Using a 1/8th full canister, it slowly fizzled out before it heated a cup of water. Switched to a full canister and it worked fine. Put this on the 1/8th full canister: ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Upright canister in cold weather
February 04, 9:02am

Re: what is your preferred type of shelter?
If there's a lot of rain - floorless pyramid. The MLD Trailstar looks very similar with a little less weight. You can sit inside and do stuff, out of the rain, as opposed to a shorter ten...

In GEAR » what's your preferred type of shelter?
February 04, 8:47am

Re: selfish - a secret place
Since you mentioned Southern California places I used to go up to Mt. Waterman. Many places where you can park the car on Angeles Crest generally North of Waterman and just hike up to the ridge...

In Philosophy & Technique » selfish - a secret place
February 03, 11:00am

Re: Need one more estimate on a quilt rating
Maybe Richard's numbers are a little conservative. I have slept many nights in a vest and bag with almost 5 clo down to 35F. Another thing - if you're talking 6 F you probably need ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need one more estimate on a quilt rating.
February 02, 7:25pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.