Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 8638 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...864

Forum » Thread

Re: Taxes
"To make it more interesting. If you are paying for the procedure yourself (i.e. cash up front) you can negotiate a real good price. Better than the insurance rates in some cases." Wha...

In Chaff » America's Wealth Gap -- No. 39 in the World
October 31, 10:40am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Roam Mountain MYOG Gear Test
When it's near freezing which is the worst condition, I cover my shoulders with insulated layer. Am experimenting with different fabric and colors outside this. Make sure that above my should...

In Make Your Own Gear » Roam Mountain MYOG Gear Test
October 31, 10:30am

Re: Re: Roam Mountain MYOG Gear Test
"Would a piece of fabric added at neck level to form a curtain separating the air in the head and body areas help? " Would that curtain fabric get wet, then wick water to your insulation?

October 31, 7:53am

Re: water loss
"you lose significantly more water through respiration during a night than you do by way of transpiration" Recent threads say the same thing I'm too lazy to find links

October 30, 10:05pm

Re: Roam Mountain MYOG Gear Test
That's what I thought you meant. I have same experience - any fabric that's above the top of my shoulders has to be flat to the ground, or water vapor from breath will hit it, condense o...

October 30, 8:13pm

Re: Re: UL Liquor bottle
I use PET juice bottle for 95% Everclear, haven't noticed any problem, although I have developed an odd twitch, do you suppose that has anything to do with it? Just kidding, no twitch.

In GEAR » UL Liquor bottle
October 30, 7:24pm

Re: The high cost of Health Care
"The problem is the total cost of health care." I agree totally. This is screwing everything up - medicare, private health insurance,... I think the solution is doing the care that...

October 30, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Roam Mountain MYOG Gear Test
Very nice set of gear Jamie What do you mean, head in hood first night = bad condensation, head out of hood second night = little condensation? I don't understand what you mean head in an...

October 30, 7:01pm

Re: Re: Its really two triangles
I agree with Jonathan and Lance Side of tent has a base of 9' and a height of 7.5' Little traingle on top has a height of 2.5 feet, so base of little triangle / 2.5' = 9' /...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pyramid - math help
October 30, 6:44pm

Re: Taxes
I believe that at some point, "Obama Care" will put some limits on for profit insurance company overhead. That is, unless the for profit insurance companies "contribute" enou...

October 28, 9:33pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.