BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 7048 | Page: 1 ...686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705

Forum » Thread

re
I guess I hit a nerve here : ) I thought there were a lot of good, innovative ideas in his book "Beyond Backpacking". Maybe sleeping with head lower isn't one of those good id...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to tell which way the tent floor is sloped on a level site?
December 14, 8:50pm

re
Ray Jardine says you should sleep with your head on the downhill end

In Philosophy & Technique » How to tell which way the tent floor is sloped on a level site?
December 14, 5:01pm

re
You can get 2nds silnylon from owfinc.com or quest outfitters or other sources - $5.50 per yard (60 inch wide) - I've used this a lot and never noticed any significant defects.

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Hexamid?
December 09, 2:44pm

re
I probably diluted it 7:1 or something I'll try thinner next time

In Make Your Own Gear » recoating sil-nylon
December 09, 8:03am

zipper
Clear picture of grommet, thanks Do you ever put in a zipper in a Cuben Shelter? How do you do that?

In Make Your Own Gear » How to bond a cat curve on cuben shelter
December 09, 8:00am

silicone mineral spirits
Like James said I did that on a sil-nylon bivy bottom that wasn't very waterproof I sealed top and bottom After maybe 10 nights, the bottom started peeling off. No big deal though, af...

In Make Your Own Gear » recoating sil-nylon
December 08, 8:30pm

Seattle Fabrics Spinnaker Fabric
I bought several yards of Spinnaker Fabric from Seattle Fabrics $12.50 per yard - polyester - DWR (not silicone) coating It was 62 inches wide, not 54 like they said It weighed 1.1 ounces ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker?
December 08, 8:23pm

How do you put on a loop for a guyline
I sew 1/2" grosgrain on silnylon for a guyline tieout Does that work with Cuben? Better to reinforce with another layer of Cuben, glued to main fabric with 1/2" tape?

In Make Your Own Gear » How to bond a cat curve on cuben shelter
December 08, 8:14pm

re
I've used seamgrip to successfully repair pin holes in inflatable pad - put it in water and look for air bubbles - no need for anything additional. On another 1980 Therma-rest I could never ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Inflatable Pad Repair
November 30, 6:00pm

re
I use a windscreen all the time. I think it's mandatory for canister stove. I think you're right, inverted stove is best for really cold conditions, but I hate carrying an extra 5.5 oun...

In Make Your Own Gear » Canister stove in cold weather
November 24, 6:24pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.