BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 7574 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...758

Forum » Thread

pit zips
My experience is that pit zips don't provide big enough opening to make very much difference. If it's not rainy and windy too much, I'll unzip the front of the jacket - now that'...

In GEAR » Rain jacket
March 01, 11:00am

Re: wind shirt help
Try taking off the shell or the base layer and see of you still sweat I think there is a fairly narrow range of conditions where you won't sweat in the windshirt but will sweat in the shell

In GEAR » wind shirt help
March 01, 7:51am

eVent
eVent is not magic If it's raining, above about 40 F, exercise vigurously, I'll sweat Sweat a little less in eVent than other WPB Maybe the best thing about eVent is the DWR coatin...

In GEAR » Rain jacket
March 01, 7:39am

re
I made something similar to a Whelan Lean To - large open face Used it on a trip up the Deschutes River from the Columbia River Windy - guessing maybe 30 MPH The lean to blew all over the ...

In GEAR » Does tarp + bivy actually save all that much over a tent?
March 01, 7:24am

re
I have a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX 3 pounds for a pair os size 12 - pretty heavy They've been waterproof, no blisters, very stiff soles for walking on rocky terrain

In GEAR » Lowa Boots
February 28, 8:21pm

re
Why is it that the UV stays in your water bottle and doesn't come out to bother you? Maybe index of refraction thing and UV is reflected off the water-air surface staying inside the water?

In GEAR » Alternative UV Usage -- Useful? Paranoia?
February 28, 4:51pm

re
I agree with you Craig, shock line is not going to fail, but weight of extra line is negligible so doesn't matter either way. I've used taut line hitch on Mason Line for years including...

In GEAR » Shelter cord - Best line locks for Masons Line ???
February 28, 4:08pm

re
Easton aluminum poles are smooth, so a clove hitch wouldn't work very good If they have a pole tip on them, maybe there's a place you get a clove hitch to work Or you could put a grom...

In Make Your Own Gear » 5 X 8 tarp
February 28, 2:56pm

re
I should feel stupid for asking That's weird, because the consensus here is you should tape seams for better strength MLD is a quality supplier so I would think they would tape Maybe t...

In GEAR » Sealing Help: Regarding MLD Cuben SoloMid
February 28, 2:52pm

re
Quit humoring those guys, Sam You're just encouraging them

In Chaff » Absaroka madness
February 28, 2:49pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.