BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 7102 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...711

Forum » Thread

re
.34 inch Easton poles from polesforyou.com or questoutfitters.com maybe 1.5 ounces for 40 inches - in two sections maybe $10 I've been using those successfully for several years

In GEAR » Options for tarp poles
December 25, 7:05pm

re
A long time ago I got a Thermarest full length Guidelite which is 1 inch. Then I got a Thermarest torso length 1.5 inch. I didn't like my legs being on the ground, so I just went back to ...

In GEAR » Prolite small vs. regular
December 25, 3:36pm

air it out?
This is sort of obvious, excuse me, but hang it up and let it air out for several weeks Outside would be best if you have a dry place

In GEAR » Smelly down sleeping bag?
December 25, 7:31am

re
Wouldn't you just use the same stuff as constructing a tarp - seam tape or what's it called Hysol? You'de have to have a scrap of Cuben to use.

In GEAR » Repairing cuben-- SilNet or SeamGrip?`
December 23, 8:13pm

Esbit
Esbit - very feeble flame, takes forever to boil. Yeah, nasty smell and soot on your pot. I don't like it : ( Thruhiker says it's .25 ounce to boil 1 pint, the lightest weight stove/fuel.

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove efficiency
December 23, 8:10pm

re
I have to ackowledge that with alcohol you can save up to 6.5 ounces given those number, or even more if you have to carry a full canister, especially for short trips/if you don't boil a lot of...

December 23, 12:01pm

re
Thruhiker.org doesn't directly give the 2:1 ratio of alcohol to canister, but you can interpret it from their plots. Will's article gives a 2:1 ratio in the mountains but it's smalle...

December 23, 11:54am

re
I agree it's subjective - different opinions for different people and at different times White Gas - Occasionaly, when I make a user error, when lighting it flares up and singes my eye brows...

December 23, 8:00am

re
An alcohol stove weighs about 0.75 ounce. Fuel bottle 0.75 ounce. Canister stove weighs 3 ounces. Empty fuel bottle weighs 5 ounces. Canister weighs 6.5 ounces more. Canister takes 1.25 ...

December 22, 7:52pm

foam
There is foam that you spray out of a can and it expands to fill the space For house insulation. Like to seal air leaks around pipes or whatever Maybe you could make a mold and fill it with ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heat molding foam/neoprene
December 22, 7:28pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.