BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 6951 - 6960 of 7361 | Page: 1 ...687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 ...737

Forum » Thread

re
I've been there before - wet definitely sucks

In GEAR » The D prize: for 1st synthetic down cluster
February 05, 8:20pm

re
can you pull the valve out along the joint that's leaking if so it would be a lot more effective putting sealer on it and pushing it back in polyurethane glue like McNett Seam Grip or ...

In GEAR » Kooka Bay
February 05, 6:31pm

re
Ryan, in his article, states points 1, 2, and 3, and the part after 3 without any supporting references to any data or anything. He did refer to a 1992 Mountaineers article. But that's okay...

February 05, 4:41pm

re
I agree that wet is bad, nothing really to argue about I should quit being an engineer and just blank out when I read about the 24x conduction If the volume of your sleeping bag insulation be...

February 05, 1:36pm

re
and the other bad thing about being wet is that your body heat will start drying it out takes much more than 24x to evaporate water

February 05, 12:23pm

re
The 24x difference in conductivity between water and air is an irrelevant factoid The problem is that it loses loft as the fibers get wet. The volume of the bag will still be mostly air. There...

February 05, 12:16pm

re
You really want to seal the ridge when it's set up It will stretch out the seam then put the sealer in and let it dry If you seal it un stretched, then when you set up the tent it will st...

In GEAR » Seam sealing
February 05, 11:43am

re
<a href="URL">text</a>

In User Test Forum » POST A LINK
February 05, 9:31am

re
Just one person's opinion: Don't need to seal tieouts - they're on the edge, any water will just drip onto the ground I don't think you need to seal the ridge either. It'...

In GEAR » Seam sealing
February 05, 9:24am

re
bottom opening pack - very innovative - don't need to worry about water leaking in

In Make Your Own Gear » video of fastpacking gear
February 05, 9:15am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.