BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1092 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...110

Forum » Thread

ATP
Adenosine tri-phosphate used in muscle and other cells. Having a metabolic problem like diabetes obviously requires a physician, who will attempt to have the patient control insulin and carbohydra...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » My Paleo
January 08, 7:26pm

Re: Where is all the energy going..?
@ Jerry et al: "So where is the energy going to?" I have never heard anything about the amount of calories that go through the digestion system unprocessed. Is it because we have a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » My Paleo
January 08, 5:28pm

Re: Life expectancy of down sleeping bags
Christine has hiked more Aussie trails than most Aussie hikers and more US trails than Us hikers... Franco Yes, I just started reading Christine's blog this morning and it's a wealth ...

In GEAR » Life expectancy of down sleeping bags
January 08, 2:38pm

Re: Life expectancy of down sleeping bags
Having a similar issue with a Mountain Hardware Phantom 40 down bag (800-fill) used as a quilt (with a sleeping bag liner but - add- exposed to pretty dirty Central Asian air) continuously for abou...

In GEAR » Life expectancy of down sleeping bags
January 08, 2:08pm

Re: Is cotton best in hot weather?
In the desert summer sun, the evaporative cooling effect goes from being a negative to becoming a positive, so yes. Think Eugene had the right term for synthetics under hot, sunny conditions - sti...

In GEAR » Is cotton best in hot weather?
January 08, 9:26am

Re: Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June?
Zion in early June was hot on the mesas but cool in the canyons. A day trip up the narrows shouldn't require a wetsuit but you will need a stout hiking pole, good shoes with mesh as they will ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June
January 07, 11:22am

Minimalism with new technology
Just some thoughts as I will need to minimize for a move soon and frankly, stuff breaks down over time if used, moved, or even stored. Mostly the 2d Law of Thermodynamics meets planned obsolescen...

In Philosophy & Technique » Minimalism
January 07, 8:28am

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim- Campground Reservation Questions for the Experienced
Yes more than 1 tent per site is allowed and you have to have the permit holder with the permit. In the corridor, 4 of us male solo backpackers were able to fit each of our individual 1-2 person t...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyon Rim to Rim- Campground Reservation Questions for the Experienced
January 06, 8:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
A red headed young lady walking in the Purgatory trail going to the animas river in Colorado's Weminuche wilderness ... in a tiger stripe bikini and flip-flops. Kind of like a syren beckoning ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
January 06, 12:06pm

Best UL groundsheet? - Info needed
What's the best lightweight groundsheet out there that can be used as a shelter floor in multiple environments? Kind of thinking in the minimalism vein so I have only one choice in the gear cl...

In GEAR » Best UL groundsheet
January 06, 8:42am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.