Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1395 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...140

Forum » Thread

Re: Colorado in early July - San Juans?
About 10 years ago, I'd go yearly just east of Silverton, to the Highland Mary TH and another TH not too far away (1/4 mile if that). I've seen anglers in the Highland Mary Lakes and they ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado in early July - San Juans?
March 25, 7:03pm

Re: Blackbeard & Destroyer's 2012 PCT Thru Hike... The Movie!
Great film (only got to 36 minutes due to work, ... need to catch up with it later). Looks like you hit the sweet spot with precipitation through most of the southern CA desert.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blackbeard & Destroyer's 2012 PCT Thru Hike... The Movie!
March 25, 5:26pm

Re: Re: Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay
With some of these expensive down sleeping bags/quilts? That's affirmative. Now, if using a synthetic that would be replaced in a few years anyways, I wouldn't bother.

In Philosophy & Technique » Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay
March 25, 12:34pm

Re: 5-day Grand Canyon - decisions
Shelter options only get funky in the "Corridor" as the "ground" is almost rock-hard and you cannot stake outside your allotted area (a buddy of mine got ticketed for this). Yo...

In Gear Lists » 5-day Grand Canyon - decisions
March 24, 11:45am

Re: Patagonia Military Windshirt
If you have access to it, does it have a tag inside with a number called a NSN? Patagonia also used the camo pattern for fishing clothes uppers (that pattern isn't really a good camo for anyth...

In GEAR » Patagonia Military Windshirt
March 23, 12:19am

Re: Happy/Hatch/Dirty Devil hike and packraft
Neat trip and enjoyed the photos. I'm noticing both long pants and shorts. Did the temps vary and did you feel cold in the water?

In Post-Trip Reports » Happy/Hatch/Dirty Devil hike and packraft
March 22, 8:32am

Re: Aero-Gel
I have some "Toasty Feet" insoles made of aero-gel for snowshoeing but they are not supportive in anyway. Most other hiker-oriented insoles are rigid with a pronounced arch. Not these b...

In GEAR » Aero-Gel
March 22, 12:11am

Gila Middle to West Fork loop via Meadows
My plan was to visit the Gila after 5 years (last year a fire shut it completely down) and guide another backpacker in his first trip in often submerged Middle Fork trail. Traditional hiking boots...

In Post-Trip Reports » Gila Middle to West Fork loop via Meadows
March 21, 9:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's the same
Backpacking is a fairly expensive sport to enter with the initial gear outlay with a minimum amount of calories expended to stay on the trail. Not to be confused with the typical homeless who ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?
March 21, 4:45pm

Re: Local Wally World carrying Mountain House
They've had them for awhile with 12 grams of fiber per serving (see tp thread) but there is some local differences in availability.

In Gear Deals » Local Wally World carrying Mountain House
March 21, 11:44am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.