BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1195 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...120

Forum » Thread

Tickets on the trail
Rough spot to be in but, from my own groups experience with Grand Canyon rangers, they tend to get formal in crowded conditions (if even a peg is outside the designated campsite, it's a ticket ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ticketed on the trail
May 21, 4:31pm

Re: technique for max. muscle mass?
Muscle increases require resistance training with adequate rest afterwards (especially if "cross training" with aerobic activities) with and getting enough protein (meat, eggs, beans n...

In Philosophy & Technique » technique for max. muscle mass?
May 14, 8:21am

Re: How far for an overnighter?
About 3-4 hours in any direction for me, currently. Anymore gets to be more about driving (and getting gas, food, etc...) than hiking.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How far is "too far" for an overnighter?
May 12, 6:06pm

Re: ,...
Has anyone figured out what Capilene piece level I corresponds to? I'm thinking 2, but not too sure. I'd say "2" is the corresponding thickness. As to the weight, I might ha...

In GEAR » Investing in military clothing system?
May 10, 12:30pm

Re: Snakes
When I was a kid taking a climbing class in some "snakey" desert mountains, the instructors said stomp your feet when approaching a snakey hideout (tall grass, etc..) to warn them. Of c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Snakes
May 06, 5:36pm

Re: Are more backpackers a good thing?
Think we need to break up some roads going into the forests and parks, and turn them into trail; set the trailheads back, so the land can heal. Need to save federal money anyways, right?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are more backpackers a good thing?
May 05, 11:43am

Re: Financing the UL lifestyle
This was my former job, but before 9/11, I backpacked almost every weekend while teaching high school with most weekends off, incl. 3-day federal holidays (except "drill weekends" as a re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Financing the UL lifestyle
April 28, 8:57pm

Re: Are you a seasonal hiker?
It's been getting that way - I try to escape the heat for the cool of the mountains during summer but if a winter storm is howling outside, it's probably not much better in a tent.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you a seasonal hiker?
April 28, 4:13pm

Sagauro National Park - AZ
Here's some pics from a recent day hike in Saguaro NP east of Tucson AZ (take the Houghton Road exit off I-10). It can be backpacked but need to follow the Park Service times. A little too ho...

In Photo Gallery » Sagauro National Park - AZ
April 26, 4:02pm

Re: TR: SUL Sespe Backcountry and Beyond Loop
I enjoyed the pictures. What were the temps like? Does it follow the southern coastal California model of greening up in winter?

In Post-Trip Reports » TR: SUL Sespe Backcountry and Beyond Loop
April 19, 9:44am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.