BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1120 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...112

Forum » Thread

Hiking in the USA
California and the American southwest you can find perfect weather anytime. During winter the lower elevation coastal hikes are great and then as temps rise, travel to the taller mountains. Other ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Maybe Chaff?
February 03, 4:59pm

Re: How Do You Pack Differently When Traveling?
Depends on how many changes of clothing. My last trip to Hawaii to visit parents, I just took an Osprey Exos 34 which also included a no-cook backpack trip while out there, shoved an iPad in the f...

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do You Pack Different When Traveling?
February 03, 3:46pm

Re: selfish - a secret place
Weekends on the coast(s) are packed regardless of the venue. If I ever moved to California full-time, I'd have to work a few weekends to get into the backcountry on the less-crowded weekdays. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » selfish - a secret place
February 01, 10:09pm

Re: Move to the mountains, watch your ...
I've lived next to mountains in a number of western cities and mountain lions have occasionally strayed into the 'burbs as young cats stake out territory. Price to pay but usually by small...

In Chaff » Move to the mountains, watch your kids
February 01, 9:51pm

Re: packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
I've used the old OR packing cubes more for long-term international travel and (+) found they reduce the volume of most clothing (even fire-resistant stuff), allowing a traveler to cram more c...

In GEAR » packing cubes for the ultralight traveler?
February 01, 1:50pm

Re: Tarp/Tent Fabric Color
If I were worried about being stealthy, maybe I'd go earth tone (some of that OD green cuben fiber, perhaps). My winter tents (Big Agnes eVent Sarvis 1+ and MSR Zoid 1) are mostly red in c...

In GEAR » Tarp/Tent Fabric Color
February 01, 1:39pm

Re: An ultralight life?
Sounds like a plan, and a budget (or you can think of it as a "spending plan" is budget sounds too much like "diet" ) is always good - but balance #1 with #5 to keep a little em...

In Philosophy & Technique » An ultralight life?
February 01, 7:35am

Houdini new color
@ Peter: It's more of a light grey, if you ever saw their Alpine windjacket (discontinued), the grey is similar to that. I did not notice any shine under a regular light bulb and only a little...

In GEAR » New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
January 31, 9:13pm

New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
First thing (besides the new gray-silver color) that sticks out is the hood has undergone weight and bulk reduction from my 2010 version. No snaps that roll the hood into collar anymore. It may k...

In GEAR » New 2012 Patagonia Houdini
January 31, 8:56pm

Wrapping a tarp around you like a burrito
The Complete Walker described something like this in the shelter chapter under tarps - taunt tarps (Visqueen) and the "Visqueen burrito". Breathability and even breathing can be issues d...

In GEAR » Wrapping a tarp around you.
January 30, 2:41am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.