Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1236 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...124

Forum » Thread

Regulations
I'd read the human resources regulations governing employees breaks/lunch/dismissal times and see how much leeway a supervisor is given first. If there are no set times, such as mandating 15 m...

In Chaff » Student workers. Am I off?
September 04, 7:45pm

Re: Food in other countries
Hi Irena, One thing I noticed this summer hiking with BPL hikers and traditional backpackers is the variety of food in the US, mostly processed. This summer for breakfast, some boil fresh eggs ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food in other countries
September 03, 7:27pm

Re: Re: Tahoe-Desolation Wilderness Aug 2012
@ Chris: I got a permit that day with no problem en route from Sacramento and you need to camp in the zone you and the ranger decide on the first night. If I had to do it over again, I'd get ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Tahoe-Desolation Wilderness Aug 2012
August 28, 8:31am

Re: Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?
Almost hit by lightning one summer about 5 years ago. Retreated to a tree line as a storm rolled over and watched as the open area I left got hit.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?
August 27, 1:30pm

Re: A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 5: Filtration Methods
I definitely needed this update in the latest in water treatment. I'd gotten away from filters after a popular but now defunct brand's best seller shattered. Pressed down on the plunger a...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 5: Filtration Methods
August 25, 8:59am

Tahoe-Desolation Wilderness Aug 2012
This was one of my first backpacks back in 1999 but the film was long lost, so I've always wanted to return for pictures. This trip had to be done regardless of rain, heat, or bugs, thus the n...

In Post-Trip Reports » Tahoe-Desolation Wilderness Aug 2012
August 24, 11:00pm

Re: Romney/Ryan 2012
I think Jimmy Kimmel (late night comic) got it right. The American Presidential election will be a 2 billion dollar "Comedy Central" Roast of both Romney and Obama with all that money fl...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
August 24, 9:59pm

Machaca isn't always horse
Actually Machaca can be about any left-over meat (usually beef and chicken) mixed with egg, etc... Been eating Machaca weekly for about 20 years just north of Mexico and you can find the burritos ...

In Chaff » What if a stock animal goes down in the backcountry?
August 15, 3:35pm

"Black Range" Re: Gila east of Silver City
You are talking the Aldo Leopold ("Black Range") and it escaped burning except for a little bit at the base of McKnight (was there when it happened due to lightening in fact). Had a budd...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Gila east of Silver City
August 15, 3:30pm

Redundancy
Like David, I seem to forget my spoon.

In GEAR » Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
August 14, 7:01am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.