BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1135 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...114

Forum » Thread

Re: Grand Canyon Question
#3 15 degrees is a good safe range since weather can get inside the canyon, though during a warm spell in March 07I've pushed it to 30 degrees. Basically a 15F bag on the south Rim and a 45F ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyon Question
February 15, 7:56pm

Frustrated to Satisfied
Came upon this and thought it may be applicable to some of the more recent threads about minimalism and also packing light. In the video, the speaker mentions why we like travel and backpacking: e...

In Philosophy & Technique » Frustrated to Satisfied
February 12, 11:33am

Re: Montbell, Montane, Patagonia, etc...
@D W More about satisfaction than country of origin, though most of the brands I've been satisfied with and stuck with with are US-based. Not all, as my Patagonia tags say Asia and central A...

In GEAR » The heck with Montbell
February 11, 12:52pm

Re: "best bumper stickers?"
Like the tourist season one David. LOL Political: "Wolves against Sarah Palin" seen in Santa Fe, New Mexico, probably a reaction to the aerial hunts in Alaska (amongst others .. see b...

In Chaff » best bumper stickers?
February 10, 4:46pm

Leakage of down feathers
In 2006, my UL down liner leaked feathers as did a sleeping bag from one of the big box manufacturers, but I was not that impressed with the warmth of either, so eBayed it a few months after buyin...

In GEAR » The heck with Montbell
February 10, 4:42pm

Re: Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
It happens. Solo'ed it in March 2001, and went with a group March 2007, but faxing an app for March 2008 (height of American colleges Spring Break) early in the morning Nov 1, 2007, it was re...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyone Trip DENIED!!!!!
February 09, 6:38pm

Retiring baselayers
When the area touching the pack starts to show signs of wear (abrasion), I retire the shirt to non-hiking duty = more use out of the baselayer before it becomes too holy (like 1980's rocker clo...

In GEAR » when to shelf capilene and the like?
February 09, 9:34am

Needles - winter
Nice shots during winter and a different look at the park than most get, though Canyonlands is pretty vacant into November too. Two questions: Were you able to heat snow for water and what were yo...

In Post-Trip Reports » Needles to ourselves
February 08, 2:54pm

Everyday pack
Are you looking for something sleek and minimalistic? Or a pack that can carry laptop, printer, accessories, plus maybe a change of clothes for a business trip? I used my Camelbak BFM for the latt...

In GEAR » Everyday Backpack
February 08, 10:52am

Re: Blacks with Packs?
When I was a military officer, I took a couple of my fellow officers, who were Black, out backpacking and they enjoyed it. After they bought some gear, they stopped going due to time pressures of ...

In Chaff » Blacks with Packs?
February 08, 10:19am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.