Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt (just started 6 weeks off). Heavy gear in the mid-90's when I was young and stoopid, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013 over 15 yrs (older and er, ...)

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 1258 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...126

Forum » Thread

Re: South San Juan Wilderness: Elk Creek/CDT/South Fork Conejos
2d the great photos. Looks like Woodrats 1, Humans 0 ... I've had buddies with packs and even tents gnawed through by enterprising rodentia.

In Post-Trip Reports » South San Juan Wilderness: Elk Creek/CDT/South Fork Conejos
September 22, 12:28pm

Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
It is what it is but if I were in the market for a new shelter, having all the weights and stand-out features available in this review would make my job as a consumer easier. Not like BPL can ship...

In Editor's Roundtable » Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
September 22, 12:21pm

Re: SEKI High Pass Loop 8/30 -9/3
Great pics. Some brilliant blue skies.

In Post-Trip Reports » SEKI High Pass Loop 8/30 -9/3
September 19, 2:03pm

Re: Maps and how to use them?
Maps can hide features within their contour intervals, so a smaller scale is often needed. Then more maps are needed which cost more money and they will not likely reflect trail maintenance (or th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maps and how to use them?
September 19, 1:26pm

Re: Staying Dry in a Bivy Sack: Techniques for Managing the Moisture Balance ..
Timely article. Looking to reduce shelter and sleeping bag weights (have a WM currently); don't know if a bivy will factor into that or merely using a water-resistant shell for a sleeping quilt.

In Editor's Roundtable » Staying Dry in a Bivy Sack: Techniques for Managing the Moisture Balance Between External Precipitation and Internal Condensation
September 19, 1:00pm

Re: An Ultralight Philosophy Outside of Hiking
About the OP’s actual question: There's regs for dealing with government paperwork, data, etc.. and having worked data in the military in the ground forces in the 2000's, we stored (pas...

In Philosophy & Technique » An Ultralight Philosophy Outside of Hiking
September 19, 12:01pm

Re: Re. Zimmer 10oz pack - frame?
No sleeve since that would have added fabric (I just open the Thermarest valve after folding it into the pack as per the old Granite Gear Virga instructions iirc). I use the load lifters to shift ...

In GEAR » New Zimmer Pack 18 oz
September 19, 2:04am

Re: Volume?
About 30-35L give or take (I have a long torso, so I have to watch that frameless rucks do not carry like a "Hello Kitty" school pack), -- that was the spec. It's a basic pack, no po...

September 18, 8:25pm

Re: A desert crossing
Since you are hauling your load on wheels, you might want to consider 2 tarps, with a little room between both, as one will still transmit heat to occupants underneath in the midday sun. Worked in...

In Pre-Trip Planning » A desert crossing
September 18, 8:19pm

New Zimmer Pack 18 oz
When speed and miles are needed, a new Zimmer-Built ZB2 style roll top w/twin daisy chain and (removable) hydration sleeve holder inside -- totals 18 oz (21" torso height). Frameless but I us...

September 18, 7:52pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.