BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 681 - 690 of 989 | Page: 1 ...60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ...99

Forum » Thread

Football Lovin Ultalighters
Being originally from the frozen tundra, I'm partial to the northern teams myself (Go Green Bay, Go Detroit) but don't forget Canadian football.

In Chaff » Football Lovin Ultalighters!
October 23, 8:08pm

Your Worst Trip - Santa Fe thunderstorm
Almost electrocuted by lightning at 11,000 ft in the Pecos Wilderness about Santa Fe, NM about 4 years ago. A large PM thunderstorm approached while I was on the trail and , after feeling a buzzin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Worst Trip
October 23, 2:47pm

What do you do for a living?
Actually hired gun, when I think about semi-seriously..

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
October 20, 10:15pm

Old Navy
Some items look better than yuppie brands appearance wise but noting the lack of specs on items that look like an UL down jacket liner, where fill power, weight, water-resistance shells, etc.. are...

In GEAR » Old Navy?
October 19, 9:43pm

Re: Is this idea crazy...
Wouldn't this in theory be the same as a ski resort jacket? The jackets are puffy waterproof breathable with down or synthetic insulation - imagine there's been some fleece lined ski jacke...

In Make Your Own Gear » Is this idea crazy...
October 19, 4:59pm

Re: Goggles and glasses
Think the term is OTG ("over the glasses") though finding a successful anti-fog treatment seems futile.

In Winter Hiking » Goggles and glasses
October 19, 8:24am

Re: Re: Roadside protein
Grad students supervising my senior thesis fed their families partially with roadkill (a "smorgasbord" of open highway around one of the large US 'prairie' universities only hea...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Roadside protein
October 18, 11:04am

Re: Stealth Camping in the Needles District of Canyonlands? - I haven't seen the need to...
I've never had an issue with getting a backcountry campsite at the Needles but you never know as the campsites are popular with both backpackers and climbers (younger and more coed on average t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stealth Camping in the Needles District of Canyonlands?
October 18, 8:11am

Rim-to-rim
Nice photos. Hot but looks like you had plenty of water.

In Post-Trip Reports » Rim To Rim - An Exploration
October 14, 11:22pm

9-9-9 plan
@Brian and Ben: My concern regarding the 9-9-9 plan is lower consumption as wage-earning US families would pay a 9% income tax, a 9% sales tax, plus business would pass their 9% tax to lower wage ...

In Chaff » America's Wealth Gap -- No. 39 in the World
October 14, 10:27pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.