BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 671 - 680 of 800 | Page: 1 ...59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ...80

Forum » Thread

Sport-Wash
Michael - I've used Sport Wash for several years to clean jackets, pants, anything wool, anything capilene, and I think it's great - best thing I've found, even though I have to ord...

In GEAR » Sport-Wash ? For Down ?
March 31, 1:57pm

Great advice
"Good luck with your research -- my recommendation would be to spend very little at first, then spend a whole lot more for a very nice setup once you gain more experience. And keep your first ...

In Fishing » Starting Again
March 25, 11:54am

Other choices
If your budget allows, consider a Nunatak Skaha sweater, or Skaha Plus (has a hood). The MontBell EX Light is an excellent (though somewhat fragile) down sweater for use as a midlayer. It has 900 f...

In GEAR » Summer insulation?
March 16, 3:57pm

More advice
Robert, I encourage you to work with Tom Halpin, Nunatak's owner, to design the bag that suits you best. Nunatak is a custom shop, it won't cost much more to alter one of the standard desig...

In GEAR » Nunatak
March 16, 7:28am

Possibility
Melissa, I have an extra long Feathered Friends bag (Lark model, I think) that's several years old but little used - it's too long for me (I'm only 6'4"). If you have any inter...

In GEAR » really long bag for a really tall guy
March 12, 12:11pm

really big bucks tents
Two hybrids plus one true double wall: Stephenson's Warmlite 3R - big and lightweight, about $550 with large door and windows. A hybrid, single walled at the ends and double walled in the mi...

In GEAR » 3 person tent options
March 06, 3:59pm

Store-bought alternatives
Aaron, Patagonia has a down sweater that's cut longer than MontBell's. Both the Down Inner and new EX Light are intended as mid-layers, so they are intentionally shorter, and because they a...

In GEAR » Montbell Down Inner Alternative?
March 05, 4:25pm

Flyfishing
Jonathan, You're starting out in the right direction. Use a guide to find the fish, not to suggest gear. Particularly for backcountry fishing you don't need the high end (and highly priced)...

In Fishing » Starting Again
March 05, 4:19pm

Try Wild Things
Wild Things (www.wildthingsgear.com) sells an eVENT jacket with pit zips. It's called the Alpinist. Not sure if it qualifies as UL, though.

In GEAR » Recommendations for an E-vent Shell w/ Pit Zips?
March 03, 9:34am

EX Light versus Down Inner
I tested both for BackpackGearTest.org; you may read my detailed reviews at that site. I found the EX Light noticably warmer, perhaps because of a snugger fit. Both are great alternatives to fleece.

In GEAR » Montbell Extremely Light Down Jacket
March 02, 4:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm