Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 671 - 680 of 856 | Page: 1 ...59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ...86

Forum » Thread

Wind Shirt in the winter
I find a good wind shirt more useful in winter than in summer. Good ones (I have ones from Wild Things and block the wind really well and have enough DWR to repel snow, a great mid...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt Questions
October 01, 9:21am

Black Diamond/Bibler
<<> -capable of standing up to really big wind and wet weather. I think you may need to look at a European tent - something like a Hilleberg tunnel. Most USA tents are not designed for th...

In GEAR » Need some advice: tent for upcoming Labrador trip
October 01, 7:24am

Theft issues
It's never happened in 35+ years, and I'm a frequent base camp backpacker. I have worried about it when in high-use areas. If terrain and regulations permit it, I try to set camp as far off...

In GEAR » Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns
September 30, 9:43am

Tent suggestion
Matt, I love my Unna for all seasons. I'm 6'4" and there's ample room for me and my gear. At those temps though you can definitely go lighter - Scarp should work well, or try a ...

In GEAR » Need some advice: tent for upcoming Labrador trip
September 30, 9:36am

Volant sizing
These do run small. I had one of these once and thought my usual XL was too tight. Someone is going to get a bargain on this one - fantastic price.

In Gear Swap » FS:Feathered Friends Volant Jacket
September 25, 7:40am

More advice
Josh, For years I used the WM Alder (formerly called Aspen) plus Summer Coupler. Since buying a Nunatak Back Country Blanket I've tried it with flannel sheet underneath, then a custom-sewn gro...

In GEAR » Double Sleeping System for the snugglers.
September 25, 7:34am

Ski touring boots
Roger, I haven't checked lately but the old-style leather ski touring boots are often available on eBay. Also Sierra Trading Post regularly has SCARPA and Alico leather ski boots. Don't ...

In Gear Swap » B.D. Lighthouse, Komperdell, eVent Bivy, Arc'teryx, Atomic 5Lb Skis
September 25, 7:20am

Ray - PM sent on the Scarp. Best, Richard

In Gear Swap » misc gear for sale
September 24, 8:39am

Merino hoody
Andrew, I'm interested; would prefer grey color. PM me (or direct at regarding postage charges and payment arrangements. Richard

In Gear Swap » Icebreaker merino wool hooded tops
September 23, 10:08am

DownMat short in winter
I also use my Exped 7 short in winter, adding pack and sitting pad for my feet. As the user reviews on BPL indicate, this pad is worth every dollar and every ounce for a good night's sleep.

In GEAR » Exped DownMat for Winter?
September 11, 7:54am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm