Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 671 - 680 of 845 | Page: 1 ...59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ...85

Forum » Thread

Patagonia weather
In fact when I did the Circuit the weather was freakishly good - one 15-minute rain squall and a snow squall when we hiked through Passo John Garner. But be prepared for anything, especially that w...

In Gear Lists » Patagonia in November - Paine Circuit and Fitz Roy
September 10, 2:49pm

Torres del Paine
Be sure that you take a tent that can handle constant wind (and I mean WIND; these latitudes are called the roaring 40s for a reason) and be prepared for daily rain squalls. Much of the trail is mu...

In Gear Lists » Patagonia in November - Paine Circuit and Fitz Roy
September 10, 10:39am

Zero degree Nunatak
Donna, As you doubtless know Nunatak welcomes customizing. Talk to him about exactly what you want and I'll bet he can get you down to zero.

In GEAR » Nunatak
August 20, 3:45pm

Nunatak ratings
Donna, based on my experience with two Nunatak bags (Back Country Blanket and Ghost) I'd say its ratings are conservative. I sleep cold and usually factor in a 15 F degree cushion, but the Ghos...

In GEAR » Nunatak
August 19, 8:52am

First tent
I strongly agree with John that you should get used to camping first and then start looking for gear that suits the style you've developed. Less expensive and far less frustration than spending...

In GEAR » Help deciding on a tent
August 14, 2:03pm

Westcomb
Everything I've used from Westcomb - eVENT Mirage rain shell, Pinnacle wool sweater, Nanosphere Syncro pants, 3 layer eVent ski jacket, and a heavy fleece pullover - has been great. Very durabl...

In GEAR » Westcomb vs. Rab
August 14, 7:53am

Crested Butte area
There are countless day hikes/overnighters in the Crested Butte, Colorado area. Conundrum Hot Springs is a favorite, but popular, so go on a weekday. The earlier post about Grand Teton and Yell...

In Other Activities » Long challenging day hikes
August 13, 4:17pm

Advice from the pros
Mike and Sam (and others!) - Do keep it coming. Earning a living makes me at best an infrequent backpacker, and I welcome whatever advice you true outdoorsmen provide.

In Gear Lists » Beartooth Wilderness 6-day list
August 11, 9:04am

bear spray a must
Dave, I'm late posting on bear spray because I was camping in the Slough Creek area of Yellowstone Park, just south of the Absarokas. In four days our group saw twelve bears, most of them un...

In Gear Lists » Beartooth Wilderness 6-day list
August 10, 8:52am

Learning to fly fish
Dave, Alan's post is right on the mark. You might check to see if there's a fly shop in New York City that gives classes or has someone who gives lessons. I used to live in Manhattan an...

In Fishing » Learning to fly fish: where to start?
July 30, 3:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm