Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 641 - 650 of 713 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Forum » Thread

Goose Creek TH Loop
I ended up having to bail when my buddy's knee wasn't going to allow him to do the full loop and so ended up doing a day hike in RMNP instead. I may give it a go this weekend if I can find...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 31, 1:48pm

Tarptent Contrail
Did you see this thread already which has a Tarptent Contrail for sale?

In Gear Swap » WTB: Tarptent Sublite or Contrail
May 31, 8:02am

Jam vs Gorrila
FYI, you can get the Jam on sale for $75 at some temporary Golite stores in the Denver area and in Boise, Id. I see you are in SE Idaho so Boise may be too much of a drive unless you will already ...

In GEAR » Help me decide b/w Jam & Gorilla
May 30, 6:00pm

Golite sale in Denver/Boise
Golite has setup temporary store fronts in several locations in the greater Denver area and in Boise, ID where they are selling a full range of their merchandise at huge discounts. Check the link ...

In Gear Deals » Golite sale in Denver/Boise
May 30, 2:47pm

Rain Jacket
If you are going to bring a Rain Jacket regardless then you don't need to also bring a wind shirt. The rain jacket cuts wind just like a wind shirt. Generally a wind shirt does NOT breath lik...

In GEAR » Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket?
May 30, 2:35pm

Durability of GG LT4 Trekking Pole
Hearing several stories of snapped poles doesn't give me much comfort that Carbon Fiber poles in general are a good thing. Yes I can cut weight but they just sound way too fragile. Am I overr...

In GEAR » snapped a gossamer gear lt4 pole...what to do?
May 27, 5:51pm

Sorry, this is where I think you cross the line from being light and functional to just light. A flashlight that only has 1.5 hours of light for a single battery is just ridiculous. Give me a Mam...

In GEAR » The perfect ultralight flashlight?
May 27, 8:06am

Re: Thank you
"I have a old Marmot windshirt that I use for winter running. I'm pretty sure it is less than 5 oz". My Marmot Driclime Windshirt is 8.6ozs, but it has a light fuzzy insulation b...

In Philmont » Bear Protocol for Sleeping
May 27, 7:59am

Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
I could see where the cutoff water bottles may degrade over time but they are certainly easy and cheap to replace.

In Make Your Own Gear » Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
May 24, 10:03pm

Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
Thanks Tom. I really like both of your suggestions. Using a 2 liter bottle (or I think AquaFina has a 1.5 liter bottle) I could cut the size so that will hold the full 1 liter and I love your sug...

In Make Your Own Gear » Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
May 24, 9:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm