BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 641 - 650 of 680 | Page: 1 ...49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: hammock insulation
I have the GG thinlight 3/8" pad, so I have a sense for what the 1/4" version might be like. My concern with any close-celled foam pad, even one as thin as 1/4", would be that it wo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » U.L and hammocks?
July 05, 2:25am

Re: HH SS
"The best thing about the SuperShelter, after you have mastered the learning curve, is the ease of augmenting it with very light weight insulation, some or most of which you might have with yo...

July 03, 11:37am

Re: Re: Not available anywhere?
Thanks, Sarah. That's very gracious of you to say about a competitor! I have your book, and have gone through it multiple times; it's a little like getting the right shoes, though, ever...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Travel Light-Eat Heavy
June 30, 12:47pm

U.L. and Hammocks
I'm still waffling back and forth between hammock vs. tarptent. For my PCT thru-attempt next year I'm thinking I'll go tarptent in CA, then switch to a hammock near the Oregon border. ...

June 30, 12:38pm

Re: deterrence or eternal vigilence
"I'd go the humor route----it's lighter." I have a marketing suggestion for a different type of video. Take one of these units to Chicago and give it to a group of Bears linem...

In GEAR » Sub 15 oz bear deterrent...
June 30, 12:22pm

Not available anywhere?
I ordered this from amazon.com some time ago, they finally sent me an email saying it wasn't available and suggested I try some online used book sellers. On the amazon.com website for the item...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Travel Light-Eat Heavy
June 29, 5:40pm

Re: Re: Campmor poncho --- good, but some downsides
Hi Todd. I'm 5'10" and find the normal length Campmor poncho to be a great length for me. Coverage of arms: I guess I just accept that a poncho isn't going to cover my arms all t...

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
June 28, 1:06pm

Campmor poncho --- good, but some downsides
I've got one of the normal (not extended) Campmor (aka Equinox Terrapin) ponchos, and on the whole I agree it's a good piece of kit and a good value --- it fits me well, and the design seem...

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
June 27, 1:08pm

REI Carbon Fiber == Good
I've got the REI carbon fiber poles, and I like them a lot. They can slip on you; the annoying time is when it's cold enough that you really don't want to take off a mitten but need to...

In GEAR » Trekking pole newbie questions what makes 1 better than another, solid/adjustable,why? Recommendations
June 27, 12:53pm

YMMV on this too
Interesting to read comments from different perspectives; one person suggested cutting the straps off the poles, whereas I think of the wrist straps as being pretty essential. Each to their own! ...

In GEAR » fixed length poles
May 05, 8:42am

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am