BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 631 - 640 of 641 | Page: 1 ...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Forum » Thread

Re: Marmot Driclim
I second the Marmot Driclim windshirt. It does have a very mild amount of insulation (not just a shell) but not much. IMO it's an excellent lightweight choice and is my primary outer layer wh...

In GEAR » Need Help w/ UL Wind Jacket...
April 28, 12:21pm

GoLite Poncho Tarp Configurations
Having recently acquired the GoLite Poncho Tarp I would like to resurrect this thread and solicit any additional setup pictures from anyone with this particular tarp. This is a great thread and ha...

In GEAR » setting up Golite poncho tarp
April 28, 12:15pm

Poncho's are not as good for above treeline
I have spent quite a bit of time above treeline in Colorado. To be honest, I don't care what rain gear you have, being above treeline in a storm is a VERY bad idea due to the exposure to light...

In GEAR » At/Above Treeline Rain gear choices.
April 27, 10:53am

Bristlecone Bivy
Due to a mistake in my CC information on my Bivy order, my Amazon order for the Sierra Designs Baffin Bivy was cancelled. So I decided to go with the Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy instead which ...

In GEAR » Do I really need a Waterproof Bivy?
April 26, 6:18pm

Re: What is a sufficient footprint substitute you use?
"The first time I was putting up my Lunar Solo, I was smoothing out my tyvek ground sheet, and got a big handful of thorns that poked thru it. So I'd have to say that where I live, you'...

In GEAR » What is a sufficient footprint substitute you use?
April 26, 6:04pm

Reasonably priced water resistant bivy.
The Pinon Bivy from Katabatic Gear seems to be one the least expensive well designed, ultra light examples I have found here http://katabaticgear.com/shop/pinon-bivy/ I am interested in any othe...

April 25, 7:34pm

Do I really need a Waterproof Bivy?
After doing quite a bit of reading on this Forum about the merits of a ultralight water resistant bivy paired up with a Tarp I am questioning the real need for a waterproof bivy. For those of you ...

April 25, 7:14pm

Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp
So I have made my first foray into the Tarp/Bivy setup and will be using the GoLite Poncho Tarp. The question is when using a smaller tarp like that do you find the need for something like a garba...

In GEAR » Protecting Pack from Rain under Tarp
April 23, 11:02pm

Thanks everyone for the valuable Insight
I really appreciate the very thoughtful feedback on the topic. For the most part I think the Bivy and Tarp kinda go hand in hand and so you can't really talk about one without the other. ...

In GEAR » Why use a Bivy
April 22, 4:21pm

Windy Higher Altitude conditions
One of the major advantages of a tent is in higher elevation locations where high wind is the norm not the exception. I suppose configuration of the tarp can block the wind somewhat but my point b...

In GEAR » Why use a Bivy
April 22, 11:45am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm