Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 621 - 630 of 672 | Page: 1 ...49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Forum » Thread

REI Minimalist bivy without a tarp
The main purpose of the Tarp is rain protection for the Bivy and for your gear. However, given that you don't encounter that much you could probably use a rain jacket draped over the mesh part...

In GEAR » Using a bivy without tarp
May 21, 4:05pm

Re: Good list
"*Keep the toilet paper, skip the trowel." What do you dig your cat hole with?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » My 2011 JMT Gear List
May 21, 11:17am

Deadfall along Hankins Pass trail
The Trip Report on 14ers.com (link in one of my earlier posts above) was done in June of 2010. Towards the bottom of that trip report is the following "If I have one major complaint about the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 21, 10:54am

Deadfall along Hankins Pass trail
I have read quite a bit about deadfall all along the Hankins Pass section of the trail. How long is the stretch with significant deadfall? Just how bad is it? Trying to get a sense of how much e...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 21, 7:32am

Waterproof bivy
"Isn't that kinda the same thing as being inside your tent without it being set up, albeit just a little more form-fitting" A little more form fitting? Try a lot more form fitting...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tent fail this weekend
May 21, 6:44am

Capilene 2 or Nylon
Cap 2 breathes very very well but may snag if bushwhacking, Nylon is very durable but doesn't breath as well. So depends on what/where your doing.

In GEAR » Advice on choosing a hiking shirt?
May 20, 8:01pm

SOLD
MSR Miniworks EX is SOLD

In Gear Swap » FS: MSR Miniworks EX Water Filter
May 20, 5:04pm

Steripen Adventurer Opti
I am replacing with a Steripen Adventurer Opti. Just bought today at REI where they are on sale now for $64.99.

May 20, 5:00pm

FS: MSR Miniworks EX Water Filter
$40 shipped. Has been used to treat approx 5 gallons of water. Works great, I am just wanting something a little more lightweight. Email: castlerock.climber@gmail.com

May 20, 2:26pm

+1 on Exped Air Pillow
I like that it has a higher and lower side and that it has a brushed side and a smooth side. I am a side sleeper and it has plenty of height. Only down side of the air pillows is they can move ar...

In GEAR » Pillow woes
May 19, 7:53am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm