Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 621 - 630 of 713 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
To elaborate a bit further on this topic. It seems to me that attaching a quilt in the manner you are showing in your original picture sort of defeats the purpose of the quilt. By attaching under...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
June 16, 9:59am

Re: How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
I also move around a bit and am a side sleeper to boot. I recently acquired a Katabatic Gear quilt. The design of their quilts helps in several ways 1] Their is an elastic binding around the b...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
June 16, 9:53am

Really helpful on uphill sections
I hear people talk a lot about downhill protection of your knees but I find trekking poles are a huge difference in my performance going uphill by deferring some of the effort to my arms and tricep...

In Philosophy & Technique » Poles are a burden?
June 15, 9:49pm

Re: buff
Buffs are awesome. My favorite use for them is to pull down over my eyes and nose while sleeping when nights are a little cooler (i.e., summer) but not cold enough for a full balaclava. Also like...

In GEAR » Bandana question
June 12, 10:52pm

Re: Summer Quilt
Not sure if there is a price difference but I would go with the first one. That additional 10 degrees will likely extend that bag firmly into three season ability assuming you wear some insulation...

In GEAR » Summer Quilt
June 08, 6:22pm

Re: prefilter
So for those that use the dudadiesel filter. What size do you use and how much do they weigh? Looking on their website it looks like the #3 size is the smallest they offer. Also when you use the...

In GEAR » Steripen Prefilter Question
June 08, 4:49pm

Katabatic Quilts
I recently bought the Katabatic Chisos which is the 40 degree rated quilt. I was plenty warm without any extra worn insulation down into the 40s and that was without cinching anything tightly but ...

In GEAR » Katabatic Alsek quilt w/pictures
June 08, 7:59am

Mosquitoes are definitely active
Mosquitoes are definitely active. The were a few buzzing around the netting of my Bivy last night. But really I didn't have much of any issue with them since I always had a long sleeve shirt ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
June 05, 9:17pm

Just get it
Sometimes the problem with online reviews is you get a distorted picture of an item because you often get the handful of users that had an issue post something but you don't get all of the peop...

In GEAR » Steripen users advise
June 05, 9:11pm

Lake Park is snow free
I just got back from doing the full 24 mile loop, Hankins Pass to Lake Park to Brookside McCurdy to Refrigerator Gulch to Goose Creek. Lake Park only has a few very minor spots of snow on the trai...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
June 05, 4:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm