BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 621 - 630 of 644 | Page: 1 ...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight Sleeping Bag
The Kelty Light Year is a pretty good value for a down bag. It's rated at 25-F, though that's probably, um, a stretch. But it ought to be good down into the 30s, and weighs a little over 2 pounds. ...

In GEAR » Lightweight Sleeping Bag
April 27, 7:18pm

Re: whisperlight upgrade
MSR sells a repair kit for the Whisperlight that has new O-rings, etc. It's not expensive. Replace the leather pump cup, too. You could also elect to purchase a new pump, which might be easier. ...

In GEAR » Lifespan of MSR Whisperlite Stove
April 27, 7:14pm

Re: 20 degree sleeping system dilemma
I've seen pretty good reviews of the Campmor brand down bags over on the AT listserv. The 0-F bag in particular seems like a good deal for an early spring AT hike at $139 and 3 pounds 5 ounces. Wes...

In GEAR » 20 Degree Sleeping System Dilemma
January 14, 7:32pm

Re: Re: Essence Pack
Rick-- The SMD Starlite got me out of my 3+ pound packs pretty easily. At 28 oz including the two aluminum stays, it carries a decent lightweight load comfortably (I hesitate to say a 'real worl...

In GEAR » Essence has arrived!!
January 03, 2:37pm

Re: Cheap Cold weather camping gear for warm weather Scouts
You can use a lightweight (summer-type) sleeping bag inside another bag, and get some additional loft and warmth. However, there can be some problems if the outside bag isn't large enough to allow ...

In GEAR » Cold weather camping gear for warm weather Scouts - on the cheap
November 27, 1:37pm

Re: Re" Bending Titanium
I was flipping channels last spring, and I swear I saw our very own Dr. Jordan on a TV show about ultralight backpacking. (Maybe on the Travel Channel? Not sure.) Anyway, he was showing the host ho...

In GEAR » Bending Titanium (repeatedly)
September 15, 11:53am

Re: Summer Layering System
Having hiked in August in Georgia and North Carolina, I can tell you up front it likely will be hot. Dang hot. And possibly wet. Here's what I bring in the summer: 2 pairs of lightweight synthe...

In GEAR » Summer Layering System
July 25, 11:31am

Re: "Small" = ? ci
If you look in the "Large but Lightweight" gear review on the main page, you'll see the Atmos 50, which is about 3000 cubic inches. So 3000ci = Large <g>. Ryan mentions the GoLite 24 pack ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Small Packs for Ultralight Backpacking
July 02, 5:29pm

Inov-8 vs Vitesse
Ryan, Thanks for your reply on the Inov-8 shoes. That's exactly the information I needed. That sort of flexibility is not something I want in a trail shoe (though I can see the appeal for someon...

In GEAR » Running shoes
May 22, 5:52pm

dollar per pound
Dropping weight from a 70 pound pack is free. You just start leaving the excess stuff at home. Dropping weight from a 40 pound pack starts to cost some money. I think I did what most lightweigh...

In GEAR » How much is a pound worth?
May 20, 8:33am

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm