Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 621 - 630 of 734 | Page: 1 ...54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Forum » Thread

Camera choices
Canon G-7, hoping to get a G-11 this winter. It's very heavy for a compact hiking camera (on the order of 18 ounces with a spare battery, the charger, and a spare card.) However, the image qual...

In GEAR » ... So what camera do you carry?
October 01, 8:04pm

yes to winter
I find I use my windshirt(s) more in cool to cold weather. Hiking in a light wool baselayer with a single layer nylon windshirt is good in cool blustery conditions, or cold still air. In winter, I ...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt Questions
October 01, 7:55pm

Re: comps vs Pros
I have both the XA Comps and the XA Pro 3D. I was surprised to find that I needed a half size larger in the XA Pro shoe, after buying my usual size 11 and jamming my toes on several longer hikes. ...

In GEAR » Salomon XA Comp vs. Salomon XA Pro 3D
September 30, 5:46am

Starlite is a good choice
I'd like to put in a plug for the Starlite. I've been using mine since I got it for Christmas in 2004 (nice surprise, I might add.) It carries plenty of gear, works well up to about 35 poun...

In GEAR » UL BAckpacks
September 28, 4:08pm

LL Bean
LL Bean sells some great car camping tents. They might look at the King Pine tent, if it's still available. Not cheap (way more than wally-mart/coleman prices), but well made and with a solid w...

In GEAR » Non-UL tent recommendation?
September 25, 7:05pm

solo shelters are good
Something to consider: hiking with your son, you might want separate shelters. Two big guys in a tent can be a little much. The only person I share a tent with is my lovely wife -- my hiking partne...

In GEAR » Big guy...bike camping. Help with tent selection
September 20, 3:13pm

no
I have several merino base layers, and when they get fully soaked, they don't dry overnight. That's when I experience the joy of putting on my wet clothes in the morning. I had the same...

In GEAR » merino base layer q
September 20, 3:07pm

rainshadow
I would take the Rainshadow just to give him thrashing room at night or on a rainy day. My wife and I used our Rainshadow as a two-person tent for a while after our daughter went to college, and al...

In GEAR » low cost, ultralight tent for dad and toddler
September 20, 3:04pm

gossamer gear squall
The DR is about the same weight as the Rainshadow II, as is the Lunar Duo. The Squall is lighter, but I think the only significantly lighter 2-man is the Spinnaker Squall from Gossamer Gear. We...

In GEAR » 2 person tent vs Double Rainbow...
September 16, 5:24pm

belt and suspenders for me
I got the 70d floor, and I carry a polycro groundsheet. Rationale: I need a dry place to put my gear when packing up on a wet morning, plus I like to have the groundsheet for breaks, and cowboy cam...

In GEAR » Lunar Duo 30d vs 70d floor option
September 12, 4:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm