Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 621 - 630 of 703 | Page: 1 ...52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Forum » Thread

fuel
I use the Firelite tablets, usually 1/2 of a 14g tab is enough to boil 500ml of water. It has taken more fuel in very cold and windy weather (worst case was 2 full tabs for morning coffee at an A.T...

In GEAR » Solid fuel users
November 29, 7:16pm

differences
I have a Micropuff pullover and a Sierra Designs down jacket with a full zipper. Jacket: easier on and off, better ventilation, wider comfort range, easier to use inside sleeping bag draped ove...

In GEAR » Pullovers Vs. Full zip Jackets
November 27, 6:24pm

other packs
You could check the Comet from Six Moons Designs. I've been using their Starlite for several years. It's a similar design and one of the best packs I've ever tried. Other options get...

In GEAR » A pack for the Missus
November 18, 7:31pm

choices
The umbrella does have some utility around camp; it protects the open end of a tarp, and provides rain gear for those middle of the night calls of nature, when your poncho tarp is otherwise engaged...

In GEAR » Rain Gear games
November 14, 1:19pm

shorts and wind pants
I wear shorts year-round, and carry homemade wind pants that weigh 2.7 oz. Like the ultralight wind shirts, they add a surprising amount of warmth for something that feels so insubstantial. The sho...

In GEAR » Help Me with a Gear Diet!
November 14, 1:07pm

making sure on the length
Just one quick note: we have several Western Mountaineering bags, and though my spouse is only 5-4, and should theoretically fit in a Short bag, she ended up with the regular bag. The short was far...

In GEAR » 0* Or Lower Womens Bags?
November 06, 9:26am

Re: Shelter for 2 Adults &/or Adult & kid
[quote]The other half of the time, the 2nd person will be one of my kids (ie: a non-careful youth). They'll be using down bags with nylon DWR coated shells - which is why I'm so concerned a...

In GEAR » Tarptent vs Small Double Wall Tent
November 04, 7:26pm

customize it
I cut my 8x10 foot tarp down to 6x10 feet. It saved 25% of the original weight, and provides plenty of coverage for me and my gear in any weather. I also have a Golite poncho tarp, and when pitched...

In GEAR » Tarp size when used with a bivy
October 24, 10:11am

sil/momentum bivy
I paid about $65 for the materials for my sil/Momentum .90 bivy last winter. Mine has a circumferential zipper that starts at the right shoulder and goes around the top to the left hip. The top thi...

In GEAR » CheapO bivy
October 16, 9:01am

half-pyramid
I set mine up in the half-pyramid shape, using a couple of trekking poles. I get easier access and better coverage on three sides. (But you need to make sure that the weather is coming from the cov...

In GEAR » setting up Golite poncho tarp
October 05, 6:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm