Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 621 - 630 of 716 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Forum » Thread

SMD Starlite
Depends on the definition of "UL." My favorite backpack is the SMD Starlite. At ~2 pounds, it's not really UL, but it's comfortable to about 35 pounds. Good for those big resupply...

In GEAR » Your fav. UL backpack?
July 31, 10:25am

DR for two
I have a Double Rainbow which I purchased for hikes with my wife. It replaced our original Tarptent Rainshadow, which we used when our daughter came along. (She's in college now, and when she c...

In GEAR » Gossamer Vs Tarptent (You Pick?)
July 31, 5:50am

great shelter for 2
We used the original Rainshadow for four years. It's large enough for three plus some gear, and it's a *great* shelter for two people. My wife and I could get all our gear inside. I have...

In GEAR » Rainshadow for 2 people?
July 30, 7:49pm

mesh top? design comments.
We're talking about using a breathable bivy under a tarp, right? Something with a very water resistant top fabric to protect the sleeping bag from side splash, dew/frost, etc., but not totally ...

In GEAR » How to Sleep in a Bivy w/o Dying?
December 10, 10:58am

Re: Re: Re: Son of Ricoh GR D
>>>Ah - I am going to have to disagree with you here. The Wikipedia entry you gave is VERY misleading and out of date. It should be replaced imho with a more up-to-date entry. I think the ...

In Photography » Son of Ricoh GR D
December 07, 10:55am

wool
Cold and wet implies above-freezing temps. I like the Smartwool Adrenaline Light Cushion. Even with mesh trail runners, they keep my feet warm (though not dry) while hiking, and the combination ...

In GEAR » Looking for socks to wear with trail runners
December 06, 7:35pm

department of redundancy department
You've identified the problem -- too much clothing. I understand wanting to be clean, but the reality is that when you get on the trail, your idea of "clean" will change some. I li...

In Gear Lists » help with thru hike gear.TOO MUCH STUFF
December 04, 6:42pm

fuel tests
allison, I posted my test results here on 1/17/07. Basically half an Esbit tab never brought 12 ounces of water to a boil. Half a Firelight tab did it in 9 minutes. --Ken

In GEAR » Solid fuel users
December 03, 9:11am

make your own
Can you sew? You can make a light and *very* breatheable bivy using Momentum 90 fabric from thru-hiker.com. Use silnylon for the floor, M-90 for the top, and mesh over the head and face. Mine is 8 ...

In GEAR » Shelter and Rain Gear and Bivy
December 02, 9:33am

well, IME it's colder
We've done the zipped-together thing. It's not possible to snug down the hood, so you end up losing a lot of heat out the top of the bag(s), plus every time someone moves, a large draft of ...

In GEAR » Zipping bags together
December 01, 6:54am

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm