Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 621 - 630 of 691 | Page: 1 ...51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Forum » Thread

Re: MANY THANKS!
I love my SMD Starlite. It's a 2005 model, and I use it year-round. I replaced the hip belt with the ULA belt for the pockets and the extra stiffness, so the whole thing weighs 30 ounces now (w...

In GEAR » Favorite Packs of the UL crowd?
May 23, 11:40am

Re: Trail Shoes - NB872/873 the way to go?
A 14 pound load is great, and so much more enjoyable than a 60 pound load. I find that having a base weight in the 14 pound range provides the right mix of trail comfort (it's light) versus sle...

In GEAR » Trail Shoes - NB872/873 the way to go?
May 07, 12:23pm

Re: Re: 3 person tent
Here's a second vote for the Tarptent Rainshadow. Ours is three years old and still going strong. It really sleeps three adults, and weighs 40 ounces using a trekking pole for the front.

In GEAR » 3 person tent
April 22, 1:05pm

Re: Thanks
If you are going to use a tarp (poncho), then you don't need a bombproof Goretex bivy, you only need a water resistant *very breathable* bivy. It will act as a groundsheet, and protect your bag...

In GEAR » 3-4 season shelter. Golite poncho?
April 09, 9:45am

Re: Bacpacker Magazine award to Big Sky
deleted

In GEAR » Bacpacker Magazine award to Big Sky
March 07, 8:36am

Re: pack cover vs. dry sacs
I use drysacks or pack liners for the stuff I have to keep absolutely dry. I also use a pack cover, because my pack has several large mesh pockets that are generally filled with stuff that I'd ...

In GEAR » pack cover vs. dry sacs
March 05, 4:18pm

Re: Socks for hot weather
In summer, I wear low-cut Coolmax socks that I bought at one of the big sporting goods stores, in the running shoe area.

In GEAR » Socks for hot weather
February 26, 7:41pm

Re: Tarptents and Appalachain Trail
Tarptents are a terrific choice on the A.T. They are light, airy, bug proof, and very protective in a rain storm. When we take 2 or 3 people on an AT hike, our Rainshadow is the perfect shelter. ...

In GEAR » Tarptents and Appalachain Trail
February 24, 11:44am

Re: Esbit tabs. How much do yours weigh?
Greetings, I recently tested the new Firelite fuel tabs from this site against the usual Esbit brand tabs. They are both 14 gram (1/2 ounce) tablet, and a search of this forum should find the t...

In GEAR » Esbit tabs. How much do yours weigh?
February 24, 11:39am

Re: Lightweight Gear Excluding Smaller Wallets
It takes some effort, but making your own gear is a satisfying way to have top-quality stuff without breaking the bank. You'll need a sewing machine, of course, and a fair amount of practice in...

In GEAR » Lightweight Gear Excluding Smaller Wallets
February 16, 11:50am

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm