BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 621 - 630 of 684 | Page: 1 ...50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Forum » Thread

Yup, Everclear
"I suppose someone will suggest taking Everclear or some other 190 proof grain spirits and mix with some Crystal Light for the true multiple-use beverage item." Yes --- apart from a ba...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » booze, drinks, etc
September 10, 1:55am

Try capilene 1
Last wet hike I was on I used a combination of poncho and long-sleeved capilene 1 base layer, and I was quite happy with that. I basically now just wear the capilene 1 base layer all the time. Sm...

In GEAR » Long sleeves in the wet
August 14, 12:29pm

Gardenville did this a couple years ago
Just FYI, Gardenville's project #3 from Sept 2005 on the following site does the same thing, modifying a ULA Amigo to use Cuben and cutting excess plastic off the filter itself: http://ultrali...

In Make Your Own Gear » Light and Easy Water Filtration for the Lazy Backpacker
August 10, 11:53pm

YMMV
I have the thermawrap jacket, 2006 model, and I use a 32-degree rated bag (WM Summerlite) and in the conditions described in the original post I'd be confident that setup would work for me. B...

In GEAR » Thermawrap warm enough?
August 04, 10:32am

Re: Re: Trail head weighing: More for fun
I don't think that trailhead weighing is just for bragging rights or fun, nor to make any frantic last minute gear changes. Well, maybe some of the more blatant ones; I once hiked with a fello...

In GEAR » Weighing gear?
July 28, 11:56am

Preparing for a trip
I learned in the Army that you don't need to "learn how to suffer" too much in advance to be able to successfully suffer when needed. Seriously, rather than messing with the actu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Preparing for a Trip
July 27, 10:59am

Re: Backpacks Staining Your Shirt?
Exact same thing happened to me --- mariposa plus backpack, white shirt, result is something that looks akin to ink stains all over the back of the shirt. So what? I only plan to use the shirt b...

In GEAR » Backpacks Staining Your Shirt?
July 26, 7:06pm

Poncho, maybe no spinnchaps
I used a poncho and spinnchaps on a recent wet trip (80 miles, got back Sunday). Or rather I happily used the poncho and mostly didn't bother with the spinnchaps. When I was moving, the spin...

In GEAR » Reassure me about my poncho
July 26, 11:13am

Very helpful thread for me
Very helpful comments, from both of you --- thanks. Now I don't have to bother trying the puptent-like setup with the Golite, as I was guessing it will be too short. Richard, I think I unde...

In Multiple Use Gear » GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
July 25, 12:17pm

Re: Re: Trip report on Golite Poncho as HH rainfly
Hi Richard. A concern I would have about laying a tarp or rainjacket or whatever directly over the hammock is ventilation. Depending on the type of weather you're in, I'd be concerned abou...

In Multiple Use Gear » GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
July 24, 10:29am

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am