Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 611 - 620 of 675 | Page: 1 ...49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Forum » Thread

Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
I could see where the cutoff water bottles may degrade over time but they are certainly easy and cheap to replace.

In Make Your Own Gear » Treatment Bottle for a Steripen
May 24, 10:03pm

Thanks Tom. I really like both of your suggestions. Using a 2 liter bottle (or I think AquaFina has a 1.5 liter bottle) I could cut the size so that will hold the full 1 liter and I love your sug...

May 24, 9:10pm

Given that the Steripen requires a relatively large opening container in order to submerge and treat the water and I don't want to use a heavy Nalgene, I decided to cut off the very top of a 1 ...

May 24, 8:33pm

Exactly how I felt Troy
I also bought a NEMO Gogo last year and setup in my living room and sent back for the same reasons. Tarp is a MUCH better approach. More room without the added weight. Thankfully I found this ...

In GEAR » NEMO Bivy vs. TarpTent
May 24, 12:32pm

Reason to go Strapless
I came across this thread and wanted to add a point about straps that I have never seen mentioned. I witnessed a man using straps while going down hill last summer do a face plant on the trail whe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Gossamer Gear LT4's ... Strap or no strap? that is the question
May 23, 10:31pm

Planning to be there this weekend
Me and a friend are going to head in the counter clockwise direction (head north on the Goose Creek trail). Planning to camp in the vicinity of McCurdy Park and hike out over Hankins Pass back to ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 23, 10:02pm

Use a Coffee Filter as a prefilter
not sure what sized particles would make it through a Coffee filter but it would seem that using as a pre-filter would significantly reduce the load on your main filter.

In GEAR » Water filters and Alaska glacial Silt?
May 23, 5:03pm

Rain jacket vs poncho
I never plan to hike intentionally in a storm (wind driven rain). If I have done that bad a job of reading the weather and find myself above treeline in wind driven rain then I will pay a price fo...

In GEAR » Rain jacket vs poncho
May 23, 1:04pm

The link works
I can see your photos. Thanks for posting, nice to get a visual on the conditions.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 22, 10:37pm

Balaclava
I have been plenty warm when using my MH Powerstretch Balaclava (Fleece) into the 20's.

In GEAR » What quilt ?
May 22, 9:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm