BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking about 98. Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit faster iot experience scenic hikes. Done with my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangable UL to semi SUL whatever that is).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 988 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...99

Forum » Thread

Say what??
Really hope that your account was hacked or this was an inside joke, as I worked side-by-side with Australians while deployed, they are usually pretty good characters. Likewise, a couple of my c...

In Chaff » Why are Aussies inferior?
December 16, 9:27pm

Re: Re: Re: How are you celebrating the winter solstice?
When the days are the shortest of the year and the winter winds howl (even down here), it's time for family and friends, preferably in front of a big fire place. After Xmas, it's time ...

In Chaff » How are you celebrating the winter soltice?
December 16, 1:15pm

Re: ... Are We 'Brandwashed'?
Not really my field but brands do allow us to differentiate among similar products. Do the marketeers take advantage of this? Yes, but now with a little salt and pepper in my hair, having a big h...

In Chaff » Products R Us: Are We 'Brandwashed'?
December 15, 7:46am

Re: Using a bivy only in winter
Ive done it and it is cozy. If all sealed up though and you can't sleep, it may get too cozy (a touch of the claustrophobic). Plus the issue of getting in during a storm. Bring a tarp but th...

In Winter Hiking » Using a bivy only in winter
December 14, 10:30am

Re: Mountain serape
I've been searching BPLs serape posts but their design looks unique if the pics tell the whole story. It'd be nice if they could reduce the weight while keeping most of the functionality. ...

In GEAR » Hill People Gear
December 13, 4:51pm

Fer de lance
Fer-de-lances are one of the types of pit vipers found in central and south american, hunts at night, camouflaged during the day, though most visitors will never see one (as the article below sugge...

In Gear Lists » Need advice with clothing & gear for Costa Rica Osa Penninsula
December 13, 2:39pm

Re: Re:: HELP need Advice!! Lightweight/Nutritious foods for 3 week trip in Hawaii!
You can probably bring some fresh carbs (like bread) on the hike in, plus some gatorade or other electrolyte containing substance to stay hydrated. Don't know if there's a bakery like Tex&...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » HELP need Advice!! Lightweight/Nutritious foods for 3 week trip in Hawaii!
December 13, 12:27pm

Re: HELP need Advice!! Lightweight/Nutritious foods for 3 week trip in Hawaii!
First, are you going to be camped there for 3 weeks or is camping just a week in your itinerary? - Remember its not distance backpacking by any measure. My multiple trips on Kona highlight th...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » HELP need Advice!! Lightweight/Nutritious foods for 3 week trip in Hawaii!
December 13, 11:05am

Hill People Gear
Looks like mil-spec fabric and webbing and googling produces links to Soldiersystems and more heavyweight stuff. Neat designs but more for military-type applications where a vehicle or helicopter ...

In GEAR » Hill People Gear
December 13, 10:45am

North central NM backpacking in March.
Not really my experience this past March. There was skiing at 10,000 - 11,000 ft but prime hiking and backpacking at 6,000-7,000 ft As I was backpacking (and roasting) across this plain, you ca...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Scotsdale, AZ or Santa Fe, NM, where would you rather have an overnight hike?
December 11, 4:31pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.