Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1237 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...124

Forum » Thread

RE:... MRE's
The thing about MRE's is you are mostly carrying the additional water weight. These maybe good in arid temps where you may be carrying water anyways but probably too heavy for other uses. Als...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » New to MRE's
December 30, 8:57am

Re: Grand Canyon Permits - fax question
I've faxed some right after midnight which were denied, then some the next morning which were approved so they likely use some sort of random sampling (at least for March trips). Think when th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Canyon Permits - fax question
December 29, 3:40pm

Re: 2013 Plans
More trips but more spread out - I concentrated my hikes from May to August in 2012, so branching out season-wise and geographically. Hit the Pecos solo 1 weekene, with some old buddies the next, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 Plans
December 28, 5:49pm

Re: Embrace Cowboy Camping With Scorpions..?
You may need to deal with scorpions anyways as they just love folds in fabrics. I've been stung multiple times from Arizona to Ft. Hood TX. (north of Austin) opening up tent doors from backpac...

In Post-Trip Reports » Guadalupe Mountains There Weren't (aka How We Went to Lost Maples Instead)
December 27, 5:02pm

Re: A Question for You Physics Experts
Been awhile since I taught integrated physics and chemistry but I'll take a stab. It takes the same amount of energy to move your mass but (1) there's a time component in the power equatio...

In Philosophy & Technique » A Question for You Physics Experts
December 27, 10:30am

Re: Guadalupe Mountains, Lost Maples, & the American southwest in general
At least you got out a little but winter in North America can be cold regardless of locale. i remember traveling through northern Baja (Mexico) several years ago for sea kayaking in the Sea of Co...

In Post-Trip Reports » Guadalupe Mountains There Weren't (aka How We Went to Lost Maples Instead)
December 26, 10:27am

Theoretically speaking
A little stealth camp once in awhile if necessary - I'm not too worried about it - but realize there's usually a reason why restrictions exist (probably due to overuse in the 1970's). ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Following the Rules in U.S. Forests?
December 24, 9:36am

Re: No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
A girlfriends cat tried to be a stowaway in my pack once when we were leaving from her place on a trip. About 15 pounds of feline and a barely audible "meow". When cleaning gear, they s...

In Chaff » No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
December 20, 11:43am

Re:
Maybe young Americans need some place that they can go to let off steam? The US is an increasingly belligerent society on the roads and everywhere else it seems, ... people willing to shoot ot...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 20, 11:20am

Re: Hikers, others rescued ...
Down here, it's the state and sometimes mixture of federal law enforcement volunteers that performs rescues since it's "live training" vs. just a scenario (unless they've chan...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hikers, others rescued in New Hampshire would pay a fee under legislative proposal
December 18, 4:58pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.