BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1213 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...122

Forum » Thread

Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms
XL is for width plus height. Why not pair it with 1 short sleeve layer and a light fleece vest taking up volume while allowing your arms to move more freely?

In GEAR » Windshirts for Those with Long Arms
October 29, 9:18pm

Re: Guadalupe Mountains NP - November
Work obligations screw up my Sundays for the next 5 wks. Might be able to do a portion of this trip with everyone depending on the dates. It's been too long since I have hiked the park itself ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Guadalupe Mountains NP - November
October 29, 8:59pm

Re: Spam
That's just great. As a non-paying member I can't post but the spammers still can. Yeech. .. but you just did post. Ghost in the machine (probably an Arcteryx Bora 85 fan). ADD: T...

In Photo Gallery » Gathering of Gear Geeks 2012: Pointe Reyes National Seashore
October 28, 2:26pm

Re: Aldo Leopold Wilderness
Great little write up. The Mimbres drainage is well-known out here* but less write ups since the neighboring Gila and (up north) the Pecos are bigger draws (add that the deep Aldo Leopold is often...

In Post-Trip Reports » Aldo Leopold Wilderness
October 28, 2:17pm

Re: Re: Cross Country Loop Around Mt. Darwin via Haeckel Col & Darwin Col
Great trip and fantastic photos/report. Makes me want to go seek out a little snow if not for work. Thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Cross Country Loop Around Mt. Darwin via Haeckel Col & Darwin Col
October 25, 11:48am

Re: "Google's Street View Goes Into The Wild"
The GC will always be there but some of the world's other wild places may soon not be (the Amazon basin, trails being replaced by roads in the Himalayan foothills, etc..). They may get more we...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "Google's Street View Goes Into The Wild"
October 24, 11:08am

Re: The (almost) Ultimate Arches Loop
Nice pics but sounds pretty dicey on the water. Maybe in the spring when snowmelt is a doable option in southeastern UT?

In Post-Trip Reports » The (almost) Ultimate Arches Loop
October 24, 11:03am

Re: Investing in military clothing system?
The waffle fleece is just like the civilian waffle fleece too, just in "subdued" colors (no flaming fuchsia or turquoise blue for an 80's retro trip). Add: I wouldn't mind look...

In GEAR » Investing in military clothing system?
October 23, 8:35pm

Re: 5 Beginning Concepts for Winter Backpacking
Neat little article with some good links. Still looking at Arizona and SoCal for soloing this winter, but, to add, may need to look at the snowy higher elevations too with some fresh ideas.

In Editor's Roundtable » 5 Beginning Concepts for Winter Backpacking
October 23, 8:32pm

Re: Is dedicated Hard shell really required?
Items are only water-repellent up to a certain point. Enough water or enough wind-driven precip will eventually soak mere water-resistant clothing if you are hiking, so I'd say a WPB shell or ...

In GEAR » Is dedicated Hard shell really required?
October 22, 10:14am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.