Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too. Debating whether to go 2 weeks or more. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), but also a bit better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1355 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...136

Forum » Thread

Re: CDT thoughts
Could be saboteurs but the Gila is more dry than I've ever seen it at this time, so it could be other hikers or long distance mountain bikers. I did a Gila post trip report several weeks ago r...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!
May 03, 1:32pm

Re: Trans-Zion Trek April 5-7
Great trip report. I always wondered what was up above the Narrows and beyond Angel's Landing. Is there a way to make a loop if one had more time?

In Post-Trip Reports » Trans-Zion Trek April 5-7
April 28, 12:14pm

Trans-catalina trail plans
Just returned from a technical trip to the Catalinas and hiked a portion of the TransCatalina Trail from below Little Harbor to Two Harbor (had electronics and a paid for room, so no camping). So ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Trans-catalina trail plans
April 27, 5:52pm

Re: Favorite pants?
Hiking in varied conditions at moderate temps it needs to be the semi-stretchy Patagonia old Rock Guides, which have legs that roll into shorts and stay there if need be. Think they've been re...

In GEAR » Favorite pants?
April 25, 6:37pm

Re: Longest backcountry trails in a tropical/jungle area?
There's always the Darian Gap of Panama if an adventure from which ones return isn't assured is ok. Tropical places tend to focus on resorts and beaches, especially in Latin America. So f...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest backcountry trails in a tropical/jungle area?
April 19, 8:20am

Re: Zimmerbuilt
My Zimmer-built packs are frameless or use thin foam as a frame; they work great with those weight limits in mind. My torso length was correct, so that has helped. You must be sure of your design ...

In GEAR » Zimmerbuilt
April 15, 9:58pm

Re: Polypro stink
Ian: It may also be my oily skin, which becomes a buffet for bacteria - wrapped up for the little suckers like a polypro burrito. It was so bad on my Jansport Rockies 7000cu in+ monster pack at ...

In GEAR » Polypro reconsidered also, but in different ways
April 11, 9:39pm

Re: Re: "Oh yeah well when I wuz in the Army..."
Justin: Yes, flammability issues. The wickiness was great, ... many bought aftermarket UA Heat-gear on their own dime, but everyone neglected to think about flame (didn't read about the Falkla...

April 11, 9:16pm

Re: Polypro reconsidered also, but in different ways
Thin polypro against the skin really wicks (thinking Lifa from HH) but gets really smelly really quick. Then other companies came up with their own polyester base layers (Capilene, etc...) which c...

April 11, 5:49pm

Re: How Safe Is Your Food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags
Interesting, though the cover photo is reminiscent of American high school locker sweeps since the late 1970's (kind of had a surprise opening up BPL this AM). By the time I slather blueberry ...

In Editor's Roundtable » How Safe Is Your Food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags
April 10, 10:33am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.