Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), but also a bit better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1380 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...138

Forum » Thread

Planning: Tracking wildfire burn areas
Found this navigable map website for public information on wildfire burn areas on esri.com, a major GIS (geographical information systems) company (current 7/30/2013) It loads without GIS softwa...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Tracking wildfire burn areas
June 30, 9:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Struck by lightning
Almost several years ago. The stays in my pack started vibrating when a large dark cloud came down towards me while I was exposed in the meadow going to Jack's Creek in the Pecos wilderness. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Struck by lightning
June 30, 5:12pm

Re: look at the boots on those gals
I must call foul (fowl?) on those gals. Every small fowl hunter I know wrap their doves/quail/pigeon/whatever in bacon (which kind of defeats the purpose I guess). So each model would need t...

In Chaff » what to do when encountering guns on the trail
June 29, 9:24am

Re: Taos area backpacking for Camp Fire kids?
In regards to the Latir Peaks wilderness, good water, some good campsites (though a group your size, hope you share some tents), and the entire wilderness was relatively smaller than the Pecos, so ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Taos area backpacking for Camp Fire kids?
June 24, 8:22pm

Taos NM area basecamping
Despite the current rash of Southwestern wildfires, there are some areas still open for hiking. The Pecos being closed, the party I was hiking with switched to Latir Peak and Wheeler Peak north of...

In Photo Gallery » Taos NM area basecamping
June 23, 10:00am

Re: Re: Re: Wait a minute, Jen...
Of course, he seems to think I am saving to move to Portland...he conveniently forgot the PCT bit. His response? "You can't do that. You'll be a bum!" Well he just assumes y...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Austin TX and environs...
June 16, 9:02am

Re: Arizona Highline Trail
Looks like the perfect time. Assume it was a shuttle hike? Approximately what time (morning, noon, etc..) did you see the snake pictured above?

In Post-Trip Reports » Arizona Highline Trail
June 15, 6:43pm

Re: Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??
Solo trips are the best since you set your own pace. I'll go on various group trips but if feeling sick/pukey that day (or whatever), you still need to keep up with the group.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??
June 15, 9:30am

Re: Re: Synmat UL7 and Schnozzel
Need to try this on my Synmat. The little pump pillow only does so much.

In Editor's Roundtable » Exped Airmat Pumps Spotlite Review
June 15, 9:24am

Re: Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels
Really nice. With all the fires about a month west of the general area, I would have never thought the San Gabriels would have looked so lush.

In Post-Trip Reports » Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels
June 14, 9:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.