BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1194 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...120

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear you use off the trail
Like Eugene and others, I use my Darn Tough socks many times at work since I can get away with the civilian version of military cargo pants, sometimes with my trail hikers or light hikers. My wint...

In GEAR » Gear you use off the trail
September 30, 7:32pm

Re: Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
I noticed the old stuff on sale but the new version with a grid pattern. I'm interested but only in the lighter designs.

In GEAR » Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
September 29, 5:20pm

Re: 40 Pounds for 2 night Solo HELP me lighten it Please
".... Not a tall skinny guy... " for clothes; no problem as the lighter stuff tends to wear quicker. I have a discontinued snag resistant zip Tbut why would clothing makers make more ...

In Gear Lists » 40 Pounds for 2 night Solo HELP me lighten it Please
September 29, 10:42am

Re: How many folk backpack all year round.
Lightweight backpacking can be great in lower elevations of Arizona and the Southeast, but in the Rockies (or other high mountains) I don't like overnight soloing in deep snow with short days/l...

In Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.
September 26, 8:35pm

Re: Undecided Grand Canyon trip
If you had a few more days I'd add Bright Angel CG/Phantom Ranch Tecate's to Will's itinerary ..

In Pre-Trip Planning » Undecided Grand Canyon trip
September 24, 7:07pm

Re: what weight baselayer for 3 season backpacking?
For 3 season or summers in the southern Rockies, I prefer a lightwt synthetic while hiking due to the ability to move sweat. I've found the lighter ones abrade over time under pack straps usin...

In GEAR » what weight baselayer for 3 season backpacking?
September 23, 10:33am

Re: South San Juan Wilderness: Elk Creek/CDT/South Fork Conejos
2d the great photos. Looks like Woodrats 1, Humans 0 ... I've had buddies with packs and even tents gnawed through by enterprising rodentia.

In Post-Trip Reports » South San Juan Wilderness: Elk Creek/CDT/South Fork Conejos
September 22, 12:28pm

Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
It is what it is but if I were in the market for a new shelter, having all the weights and stand-out features available in this review would make my job as a consumer easier. Not like BPL can ship...

In Editor's Roundtable » Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
September 22, 12:21pm

Re: SEKI High Pass Loop 8/30 -9/3
Great pics. Some brilliant blue skies.

In Post-Trip Reports » SEKI High Pass Loop 8/30 -9/3
September 19, 2:03pm

Re: Maps and how to use them?
Maps can hide features within their contour intervals, so a smaller scale is often needed. Then more maps are needed which cost more money and they will not likely reflect trail maintenance (or th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maps and how to use them?
September 19, 1:26pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.