BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1120 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...112

Forum » Thread

Re: Are more backpackers a good thing?
Think we need to break up some roads going into the forests and parks, and turn them into trail; set the trailheads back, so the land can heal. Need to save federal money anyways, right?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are more backpackers a good thing?
May 05, 11:43am

Re: Financing the UL lifestyle
This was my former job, but before 9/11, I backpacked almost every weekend while teaching high school with most weekends off, incl. 3-day federal holidays (except "drill weekends" as a re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Financing the UL lifestyle
April 28, 8:57pm

Re: Are you a seasonal hiker?
It's been getting that way - I try to escape the heat for the cool of the mountains during summer but if a winter storm is howling outside, it's probably not much better in a tent.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you a seasonal hiker?
April 28, 4:13pm

Sagauro National Park - AZ
Here's some pics from a recent day hike in Saguaro NP east of Tucson AZ (take the Houghton Road exit off I-10). It can be backpacked but need to follow the Park Service times. A little too ho...

In Photo Gallery » Sagauro National Park - AZ
April 26, 4:02pm

Re: TR: SUL Sespe Backcountry and Beyond Loop
I enjoyed the pictures. What were the temps like? Does it follow the southern coastal California model of greening up in winter?

In Post-Trip Reports » TR: SUL Sespe Backcountry and Beyond Loop
April 19, 9:44am

Cloudcroft trails
The area is multiuse with private inholdings all over the place. There is a very long Crest (or Rim) trail with connecting fire roads and TH near campsites with a view of White Sands peeping from ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » clueless finding trails in Cloudcroft
April 19, 8:58am

Re: Re: Re: seems to me...
nm

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do I Heal a Chronic Achilles Issue ?
April 18, 3:59pm

Re: seems to me...
See a podiatrist especially if you think there's imminent rupture but both military and civilian podiatrists (long term) haven't really done much for me. Short term, yes, they will relieve...

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do I Heal a Chronic Achilles Issue ?
April 18, 3:29pm

Re: healthiest backpacking breakfast?
I'd just go with oatmeal but if warmer, I bring packets of Grape-Nuts brand cereal repackaged in plastic bags. No bowl needed, just add some milk powder (I just eat them with water). Longer, ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » healthiest backpacking breakfast?
April 18, 9:36am

Re: Re: "Susquehannock Trail, PA"
Very green landscape and impressed that the county planned that network of trails almost 50 years ago. Nice write up and pics.

In Post-Trip Reports » Susquehannock Trail, PA
April 17, 7:15pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.