BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies ... decisions, decisions
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1226 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...123

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: TR: Dick Smith Wilderness, CA FastPack with Ultra-Runner Howard Cohen
Great little write-up, but I'd second the idea of wearing long pants on this trip.

In Post-Trip Reports » TR: Dick Smith Wilderness, CA FastPack with Ultra-Runner Howard Cohen
December 15, 9:48am

Re: Sleeping Bag Liner as Summer Bag
I've used a thinner liner like this, but in relatively warm stable conditions (Hawaii coast... May 2011, check my post trip report on it). Maybe summer in the lower elevations of Hawaii or any...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Liner as Summer Bag
December 07, 9:25am

Re: Camping in the Snow
Great article, as I've only faced snow on the ground (never flurries). An ultralight, yet truly winter storm-worthy tent would be a good project for gear makers.

In Editor's Roundtable » Camping in the Snow
November 28, 8:48am

Re:... a very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
There's been anecdotal accounts written about of wicking base-layers working too well and speeding dehydration, so maybe you were a little too warm and comfortable starting up that hill (=exert...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learnt an very important Lesson on Hydration and Salts
November 18, 8:33pm

Re: Winter Hikes (sorta) near Albuquerque?
Will: I based my response on driving within a few hours of Albuquerque, since it takes about 3 hours on I-25 to get to Las Cruces. There are some low-mileage backpacking areas in the immediate...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
November 14, 9:03pm

Re: Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
The Pecos, San Pedros, and Manzanos will likely get much snow. The lower elevations of the eastern Gila, Black Range (Aldo Leopold), and Apache Kid would normally drop into the teens for 3-season ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Winter Hikes near Albuquerque?
November 12, 4:56am

Re: What shoes/boot's are you using this winter?
Lowe Renegade GTX medium hikers for snow, but good enough for in town too. I just don't do enough snowshoeing around Albuquerque and SantaFe to rate a separate pair for just hiking.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What shoes/boot's are you using this winter?
November 08, 10:01am

RINOs - endangered species
After spending all that money in this economy, this should have been a shoo-in for the challenger. Republicans were increasingly busy throwing moderate RINOs ("Republican In Name Only") ...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
November 07, 4:50pm

Re: Trip
I can get up to the campground Friday night and hike Sat. I'll email.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Guadalupe Mountains NP - November
November 05, 11:17pm

Re: A resource for things that bite or sting
Most of the major backpacking books have a section on animal hazards in North America. I was also looking at "Joe of ZPacks" trip reports recently and the pictures of rattlers he took wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A resource for things that bite or sting
November 05, 12:50pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.