BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 611 - 620 of 1152 | Page: 1 ...53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ...116

Forum » Thread

Re: BPL Southwest Bikepack Group trip (AZ,NM?). Gauging interest. Anyone?
Maybe early Spring depending on my work schedule and how well my 29'er holds up. I haven't been serious about biking since 2009 but plan to be building up with daily rides late Sept and Oc...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » BPL Southwest Bikepack Group trip (AZ,NM?). Gauging interest. Anyone?
August 12, 9:39am

Re: What's all this bitching?
The new articles to be very interesting in terms of the scientific detail or getting into the details of distant trails. This as a long-time subscriber to Backpacker, Outside, etc.., which hav...

In Chaff » The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread.
August 12, 9:27am

Northern part of Middle Fork
Robert, The area to the north of the middle Fork is packable, though there are some old burn areas I haven't seen for about 5 years. There was a way to go from the Middle Fork through &quo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Need help planning a trip to the Gila Wilderness
August 10, 1:09pm

Re: Need help planning a trip to the Gila Wilderness
Between the middle fork and east forks, everything looks open, according to the present USFS map on the web. The entire west side of the wilderness is closed as does the west fork (prolly due to f...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Need help planning a trip to the Gila Wilderness
August 10, 11:17am

Granite Gear Leopard
No big deal since it won't debut until next year... Besides the YouTube video above, there's a current Granite Gear FB page entry about their Leopard packs for 2013... no details though...

In GEAR » Granite Gear Snow Leopard??
August 08, 7:16pm

Re: How many nights?
Good question now that I've seen dondo's trip report. I did the traditional loop about 10 years ago but in constant rain. Like to do something a bit more UL at the expense of a little ca...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
August 05, 9:40am

2012 Bear Canister Req? Re: Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
Anyone heard anything definite about a bear canister requirement in the forests surrounding Aspen? I called Glenwood Springs and was told "yes" by the receptionist ... but didn't fe...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Maroon Bells, Four Pass Loop
August 03, 2:30pm

Re: Simplicity
"I feel out of control when packing with others who carry too many things." Overthinking this. If others in the party have too much to pack and you really don't want to help them...

In Philosophy & Technique » More than being "light". The beauty of simplicity.
July 26, 10:31am

Re: A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 1
Getting water that hasn't passed through agricultural, industrial, or residential areas can lead to carrying your water in many hikes in the desert (hiking along the Verde River in Arizona'...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 1
July 25, 6:39pm

San Pedro Parks 24 (NM - USA)
Last week I was invited on a backpack in the San Pedro Parks wilderness of New Mexico (northwest of Albuquerque) with some older hikers I know. Since no one has done a trip report to the San Pedro...

In Post-Trip Reports » San Pedro Parks 24 (NM - USA)
July 23, 3:50pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.