Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Stuart R (Scunnered) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Scotland
About Me "When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be."
Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) 1883

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart R

Showing 611 - 620 of 698 | Page: 1 ...51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Forum » Thread

Re: Question for HRP packing
I camped beside this lake (2300m) in early July with a 30 degree (F) bag and was just fine. Disclaimer: sleeping bag ratings are notoriously inaccurate

In GEAR » Haute Route Pyrenees, Gear List and Assessment
December 02, 3:21pm

Re: Canister stove in cold weather
I don't see much contact surface between the aluminium and the canister - you would improve the heat transfer if you could increase this. However, it's not necessary to heat the whole ca...

In Make Your Own Gear » Canister stove in cold weather
November 24, 2:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Stripping a white gas stove
"That means you need to take an extra partially full canister on some trips in order to empty it out. That's an extra 3-4 oz that is not needed." Do you never go on overnight/weeke...

In GEAR » Stripping a white gas stove
November 12, 6:21am

Re: canister inversion
The advantage is that the gas mixture in the canister does not change as it gets used. This means that the gas remains under pressure and the stove continues to work when it is cold until the canis...

In Editor's Roundtable » Primus Express Spider Stove Review
November 06, 11:13am

Re: Re: Re: Pot metal pot metal?
Our home saucepans have a stainless outer layer and a stainless inner layer with 3 aluminium layers sandwiched in between. Not just the base, the whole thing - look closely and I can see the inner ...

In GEAR » BPL Firelite Titanium?
November 04, 12:30pm

Re: Re: Alternative gas canisters for remote stove
Roger - I'm pretty sure there is no internal tube. They are very easy to use - raise the 'base' end by supporting it with something: boot/rock/snow/whatever so the canister is lying at...

In GEAR » Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

October 29, 2:25am

Re: remote canister
Hey Fred - what kind of threaded canister do you use with the Spider? Is the CampingGaz CG1750 easily obtained in France?

In GEAR » Using an inverted canister stove
October 29, 2:06am

Alternative gas canisters for remote stove
Roger - I think this article has missed a trick - with a remote canister stove you are no longer restricted to the squat canisters used for canister-top stoves. Any canister with a threaded Lindal ...

In GEAR » Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

October 28, 10:14am

Re: Re: Where's the Summary or Conclusion section?
Jim - one small point: "3. For temps above -25C (-13F) you can use any of the mixtures that contain both propane and iso-butane with a stove designed to burn canister fuel fed to it as liqu...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Effect of Cold on Gas Canisters
October 28, 2:22am

Re: Cold canisters
David - yes, the boiling of the liquid gas will cool the canister below the ambient temp. This is explicitly mentioned in the article. This effect gets worse as the canister empties when there is l...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Effect of Cold on Gas Canisters
October 27, 10:00am

All Reader Reviews by Stuart R

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coleman Exponent Non-stick Cook Kit
At first glance this looks like just another anodised aluminium cook set, but on closer inspection you will find that these pots have a real standout feature. There is a spiral groove machined or stam...

In Cookware - Other
March 29, 12:43pm