Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 601 - 610 of 1022 | Page: 1 ...52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ...103

Forum » Thread

Re: Advice: Hitting the John Muir Trail in a week
Sounds like fun. My two cents: Weather - be prepared for afternoon thundershowers, they are pretty likely this time of year. Mostly they will happen around mid to late afternoon and be done by din...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Advice: Hitting the John Muir Trail in a week
June 07, 11:20pm

Re: shoulder strap attachment
Two reasons I would not do this; one, it changes the angle at which the shoulder strap runs down across your chest and side, and not in a good way to my eye - seems like it would be more likely to ...

In Make Your Own Gear » shoulder strap attachment
June 07, 11:05pm

Re: Pad Options for Cowboy Camping on Sierra Granite at 20 Degrees F
Well, I won't try to make the call on the cush question. But I have a tip on warmth and campsite selection. If it has been a sunny day (and aren't all days in the Sierra sunny?), then sleep...

In GEAR » Pad Options for Cowboy Camping on Sierra Granite at 20 Degrees F
June 05, 7:58pm

Re: Base camp unattended with gear in relatively popular backcountry sites? Any bad experiences or advice?
Have done this many times, no problem. Just make sure all food and smellables like toothpaste and sunscreen are safely stored (hung or in bear can) away from the tent. People are no problem, but c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Base camp unattended with gear in relatively popular backcountry sites? Any bad experiences or advice?
June 03, 10:09pm

Re: Antarctica book suggestions
Here's one I enjoyed many years ago: The crossing of Antarctica; the Commonwealth Transantarctic Expedition, 1955–1958 with Sir Vivian Fuchs (1958). Cassell ASIN B000HJGZ08

In GEAR » Antarctica book suggestions
May 30, 10:26pm

Re: Freezer bags at altitude?
I did the pinhole thing, keeping the hole right next to the zip so it wouldn't be a leak problem when rehydrating, and it worked great. Definitely helped me squash that last bit of food into th...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Freezer bags at altitude?
May 27, 1:42pm

Re: Material for Pack Stay Sleeves?
I use flat nylon web for the pockets at the bottom, and grosgrain ribbon for the rest. No problems in 30 years.

In Make Your Own Gear » Material for Pack Stay Sleeves
May 26, 12:44pm

Re: Flooring underlayment foam
Eric - can you please weigh some of that stuff and post results?

In GEAR » Flooring underlayment foam
May 26, 12:42pm

Re: November Trip Suggestions
November in the High Sierra can be a really neat time to go, or horrible, and you can't tell in advance which it will be. Other places along your way I can't comment on, but if I were in yo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » November Trip Suggestions
May 24, 10:57pm

Re: Emigrant Wilderness
I take my canister because I am done with hanging food. But the bears in the Emigrant do not seem to be problem bears, so a good hang should work just fine, particularly if you camp away from the u...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Emigrant Wilderness
May 24, 10:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.