Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 601 - 610 of 937 | Page: 1 ...52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ...94

Forum » Thread

Re: Jetboil Zip Hacks ... Part 2
Curt - I am curious abut how this might work with other stoves. Looks like it would depend on the length of the pot support arms. Could you do us a favor and measure the diameter of the bottom of t...

In GEAR » Jetboil Zip Hacks ... Part 2
February 06, 2:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Why the width / height choices?
Nigel - I have four canisters in my garage - MSR, Snow Peak, Primus, and an old Primus I found in the mountains that still has some gas in it. All are very close to the same size except the old pri...

In Editor's Roundtable » Jetboil Sol Ti Premium Cooking System Review
February 06, 1:43pm

Re: UL remote canister stove
Suart - nice work. It's a stove like this that makes me think the stove manufacturers are not really interested in the lightweight remote stove category. For them, something like this would be ...

In Make Your Own Gear » UL remote canister stove
February 05, 3:08pm

Re: Snow and WInd
A simplistic way of looking at it is that wind resistance is mostly about tautness, while snow loading requires steepness as well. And convexity definitely helps, part of the reason why tunnels and...

In Editor's Roundtable » Storm Resistance of Ultralight Shelters: Part 1, Introduction
February 04, 5:52pm

Liteloft
Way back when, a friend of mine worked for Moonstone Mountaineering - who in their day made some of the best synthetic bags available. The owner did a test with several types of insulations, making...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thinsulate?
February 04, 5:48pm

Re: Modifying an old external frame pack
I'm not surprised at the weight of the frame. I have an old Trailwise external frame, which I got around 1972 or 3 and made my own packbag for. Later, around 1982 or so, I cut the frame down so...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modifying an old external frame pack
February 04, 5:37pm

high altitude sun
+1 on David's mention of the high altitude sun. Bring plenty of sunscreen for theose boys, and make them use it! I aim for every 2 hours myself when I am above the trees.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 03, 12:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whitney isn't everything
"If I change my mind at a reasonable date and decide to hike the North/South Lake loop instead, will I be making a permit unavailable to someone else who wants to hike the JMT?" If you...

In Pre-Trip Planning » North Lake - JMT - South Lake
February 03, 12:06pm

thinsulate
It's warmer for a given thickness than down or the lofty synthetics, but heavier for a given warmth. So it's great for gloves/mittens or shoes, things where thickness is a problem. Would pr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thinsulate?
February 03, 11:36am

Re: Re: Videos in reviews
"And I'm also curious how the Reactor defied basic thermodynamics to empty an upright canister. What gases did those canisters claim to have?" The real question is not how it defie...

In Editor's Roundtable » Deep Freeze: A Cold, Hard Look at Winter Stoves
February 02, 9:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.