Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 601 - 610 of 990 | Page: 1 ...52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ...99

Forum » Thread

Re: Octamid Help
You'll get a lot more efficient cutting layout if you have horizontal seams in each panel - you can nest the upper triangular pieces in between the lower trapezoids. Your selvage edges will be ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Octamid Help
March 19, 12:21pm

Re: Balaclava ?
I've had pretty good luck with these: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wickers-balaclava-moisture-wicking-midweight-for-men-and-women~p~56028/?filterString=mens-earbands-balaclavas-and-neck-ga...

In GEAR » Balaclava ?
March 19, 11:53am

Re: JMT thru-hike in June??
You may want to reconsider your timing if solitude is a prime concern. Start on Labor day and you'll have as much solitude as you're going to get on the JMT outside of doing it on skis. Jul...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT thru-hike in June??
March 19, 11:38am

yes and no
Cairns on a trail I would leave undisturbed. Cairns not on a trail I would knock down, primarily because off-trail cairns tend to keep everyone n the same route and thus create a use tail, rather t...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cairns and LNT?
March 16, 7:03pm

Re: Longsleeve baselayer for hot, summertime use?
I use a Terramar shirt that they, sadly, no longer make. Men's silkweight EC2 qwik-dry long sleeve crew. Best shirt I have ever had for hiking in any temperature. I suppose the same fabric may ...

In GEAR » Longsleeve baselayer for hot, summertime use?
March 16, 5:33pm

Re: MYOG Pack for Scouts
Actually my interest was in providing a pattern and instructions to scout groups (for free). I'm not involved in scouting myself, but I applaud those who take kids out into the wilds, and havin...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » scouts making their own gear
March 16, 12:54pm

Re: Stove/Pot Comparison
If you want to have meaningful data, you'll have to run all the tests at the same air temperature, with the water starting at a consistent temperature and reaching a consistent temperature. I w...

In GEAR » Stove/Pot Comparison
March 14, 9:59pm

Re: Material Perception
I have a somewhat different take on the durability question. In 40 years Of making and using packs, I have used fabrics from 1.9 oz ripstop to 11 oz cordura, and my attitude toward durability is th...

In GEAR » Material Perception
March 14, 9:43pm

Re: Esbit + rocks + wind shield
Yeah, I wouldn't bother. You'll probably waste more fuel by having non-optimum heights than the weight you save by not having some sort of pot support that sets the right height.

In GEAR » Esbit + rocks + wind shield
March 14, 9:19pm

Re: Rate my tarp pitch/questions?
It's all in the order of operations. If you think about it, pitching a tarp this way is essentially dividing it into 3 triangles - one with its long side as the low back edge, and two with thei...

In GEAR » Rate my tarp pitch/questions?
March 14, 9:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.