BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 601 - 610 of 832 | Page: 1 ...52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ...84

Forum » Thread

Re: Snow shovel
Can't tell you when or if anything new is coming out. Can recommend what I have: BCA Tour - http://backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=64&page=Tour/Tour_Systems. This is minimal if you are t...

In Winter Hiking » Snow shovel
July 19, 1:00pm

Re: Lightest fleece top?
Light and cheap is expedition weight long underwear zip t-neck from sierra trading post: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/164,14215_Wickers-Long-Underwear-Top-Expedition-Weight-Mock-Zip-Long-S...

In GEAR » Lightest fleece top?
July 14, 5:53pm

Re: Winter Stove
If you want to go white gas - the Simmerlite is about as light as it gets. I use one for my snow camping trips. The Whisperlite is almost as light and from my testing of the two stoves it is slight...

In GEAR » Winter Stove
July 14, 11:03am

Re: "A little ski tour"
David - Atomic Rainier skis Garmont excursion boots Voile 3-pin bindings

In Winter Hiking » A little ski tour
July 12, 3:39pm

Re: MYOG/DIY Gear - What preforms as well or better than "store bought" stuff?
There's DIY gear and there's DIY gear. It all depends on how well you make it. Some things - alky stoves, stuff sacks, pot cozies for instance - are really simple and can be made by almost ...

In GEAR » MYOG/DIY Gear - What preforms as well or better than "store bought" stuff?
July 11, 5:50pm

Re: The craze with frameless
I'll take a stab at it. I can see several reasons why many people go frameless. First, there are very few packs with stays in them that are really light, so the penalty for a frame is usually a...

In Philosophy & Technique » The craze with frameless
July 11, 10:15am

Re: Crazy snow in the Sierras!
The JMT will have tracks through any snow-covered portions due to the fact that PCT thru-hikers are passing through already and more will have done so by the time you hit it. So navigating will not...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Crazy snow in the Sierras!
July 08, 9:01pm

Re: Re: A little ski tour
Steve - thanks, it was a fun trip, and everything between Thompson Pass and the LeConte Divide is really nice country - and great ski touring. Yes, we did ski over Thompson Pass. As to current cond...

In Winter Hiking » A little ski tour
July 06, 1:27pm

so what is really lighter?
Reading this thread has me wondering about whether cooking or not cooking is actually lighter. I have often gone stoveless for short trips just for simplicity's sake. It's nice sometimes no...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why is a stove part of an "ultralight" system <3 days?
July 05, 12:21pm

Re: Aluminum instep crampons
I would also say no to instep crampons. They are only useful on flat ground in my opinion. On any kind of slope, you need traction at the heels and toes. The passes you will cross on the SHR are st...

In Make Your Own Gear » Aluminum instep crampons
July 05, 11:53am

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.