Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Shawn Taylor (staylor310) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Sierra
About Me Shawn Taylor has not added a biography yet.
StateCA
CountryU.S.
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Taylor

Showing 61 - 67 of 67 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Forum » Thread

Re: The Kern
no fishing this time. The season is closed for all except the first 4 miles of our trip, which our easily day hiked from the bridge.

In Post-Trip Reports » Kern River Area Trip Report (Southern Sierra, CA, USA)
March 19, 10:05am

Kern River Area Trip Report (Southern Sierra, CA, USA)
Overview: 20 mile loop around The Kern River, starting from The Johnsondale Bridge located approx. 20 miles north of Kernville. 2 nights, 2 days. Winter weather expected. Route: ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Kern River Area Trip Report (Southern Sierra, CA, USA)
March 18, 6:16pm

Re: Precip or Virga?
I have a Precip, but I no longer use it for backpacking, strictly because of the weight. The Precip has huge pitzips, and the pockets are made of mesh, which create there own ventilation as we...

In GEAR » Precip or Virga?
March 10, 3:32pm

Re: depends
Agreed, I am typically in the 3 day outing range, and I have never had moisture cause a problem for my down insulation. I thought it was interesting that synthetic insulation was a requirement...

In GEAR » Down vs. Synthetic Quilt/Bag
March 08, 3:58pm

Down vs. Synthetic Quilt/Bag
Just wanted to get some opinions on preference. I have always used Down Bags/Quilts for their higher loft to weight ratio. I would like to know what everyone else prefers and why.

In GEAR » Down vs. Synthetic Quilt/Bag
March 08, 7:46am

Tyvek Weight
Anyone know the oz per yd ratio on Tyvek?

In GEAR » ground cover / bivy
March 08, 7:29am

Re: Regular Caldera Cone and wood?
I tested my regular Caldera Cone with wood, and it seemed to work fine. I boiled a quart of water, and nothing happened to my cone. I ended up ordering the new Ti version anyway

In GEAR » Regular Caldera Cone and wood?
March 08, 6:51am

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Taylor

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Wisp
The Golite Wisp Shirt is in my top 5 favorite pieces of gear. It is one of the lightest wind shirts available. I use this shirt in summer trips where temps don't drop below 50, and I have used o...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
July 02, 2:38pm

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
I love this stove for use with pots 20 fl. oz. and under. It supports most pots well. My favorite cook system, when I'm cooking only for myself, is- The Esbit wing, 600ml Evernew mug, homemade a...

In Stoves - Other
July 02, 2:25pm

Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper
I have to give this pack a 5 because of the weight (4oz). I will however give it some constructive criticism- I would prefer a wrapping front pocket, which comes around to the sides, and provides ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
July 02, 12:15pm

Light My Fire Spork
Mine broke too. The 3 in 1 design is nice, but it breaks easily and does not fit in most cook pots. The folding Ti-Spork is much better.

In Cookware - Other
March 08, 4:09pm