BPL Community Profile

William Segraves (sbill9000) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale William Segraves hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me William Segraves has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by William Segraves

Showing 61 - 70 of 213 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...22

Forum » Thread

Re: Basic Food Question (Vegan/Vegetarian)
Most of what I might suggest is in the other thread you referenced. "basics of backpacking food? For example, target calories per gram, target calories per day, etc." That'll va...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Basic Food Question (Vegan/Vegetarian)
May 15, 6:38pm

Re: "Fireballs" Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters
Have you considered trying paraffin rather than petroleum jelly? I've been making cotton balls fire starters using melted paraffin and so far they seem to work pretty well. And no mess. Chee...

In GEAR » "Fireballs" Ultralight 2g Cotton Ball Fire Starters
May 15, 6:22pm

Re: Fishing with a stick
In many mountain lakes, especially with rocky shorelines, there are fish that can be reached with a handline or with a line dangled from a stick or a treking pole. If your stick is not the long, fl...

In Fishing » Fishing with a stick
May 13, 6:06pm

Re: "electrolyte supplements---capsules in particular--how many?"
"Interesting, I thought we were aiming at clear urine. That's why I thought I was under-hydrated: yellow urine." If you google urine color chart, you'll find a number of refere...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » electrolyte supplements---capsules in particular--how many?
May 13, 5:58pm

sweat vs breathing
"...I'm curious as to whether water loss through breathing is taken into account in this study." He was focused on the electrolyte balance, so he didn't need to look at breathi...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » electrolyte supplements---capsules in particular--how many?
May 12, 8:45pm

Re: Re: Re: electrolyte supplements---capsules in particular--how many?
Thanks, Greg, for Baker's summary. It is indeed a nice one. It's not hard to see why some people may "need" some type of electrolyte supplementation while others wouldn't. ...

May 12, 8:24pm

the starch report
The big cookless starch-off took place shortly after dawn this morning. The contenders: instant quinoa flakes, instant pre-cooked rice, bean threads (cellophane noodles), and ramen. Each was placed...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » seeking cookless starch to go with chicken curry
May 12, 7:55pm

Re: Re: Earl Survival Tablet
"First of all, I thought it was a pill. " So did I. I was hoping for 20 calories/gram if eaten, anti-microbial, and able to be burned underwater! Cheers, Bill

In GEAR » Earl Survival Tablet
May 11, 11:10am

Re: Backpacking health risks?
I find this a fascinating topic - risk assessment is a complex and very interesting topic, both from a psychological and from a quantitative perspective. We tend not to to do it very well, unless w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking health risks?
May 10, 6:19pm

Re: Backpacking "work"
However the impact is measured, I agree wholeheartedly that significantly lightening the load is liberating. It's in large part due to all the great BPL articles and posts that I've had the...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 1: Concepts and Scope.
May 09, 6:27pm

All Reader Reviews by William Segraves

William Segraves has posted no reviews.