Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 61 - 70 of 1660 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...166

Forum » Thread

Montbell Permafrost Down Parka, $200, Size L, Gunmetal color aka Black
$200 versus $329 new Guaranteed like new condition. I acquired this for a thermal test. It tested so high (7.4 Iclo) I decided to keep it for my very-cold weather parka. Later I determined I...

In Gear Swap » Montbell Permafrost Down Parka, $200, Size L, Gunmetal color aka Black
February 03, 2:16pm

Re: Re: Down loft degradation from RH is minor
Eric, The first chart was from research conducted in 2007. They used the down purity they could extract (~850). That was the only one that I originally planned on posting. The second report w...

In GEAR » Downtek
February 02, 4:20pm

Down loft degradation from RH is minor
A much older research source but the same conclusion: You also need to be aware that as soon as you use that bag or quilt sitting in 100% RH you will cause a temperature gradient. It will ra...

In GEAR » Downtek
February 02, 2:36pm

Re: Re: RE: Downtek
People frequently post on the BPL forums about down COLLAPSE; I found 933 hits. Relative humidity (RH) alone (not dew point water accumulation) can only cause about a 10% reduction in down loft fro...

In GEAR » Downtek
February 02, 1:59pm

Re: Re: Maxima air porosity
Andrew, Your are correct; I have updated the original post.

In Make Your Own Gear » How many ponchos to make a quilt top?
February 01, 9:20pm

Maxima air porosity
Justin Whitson sent me two sample sets of Maxima ESD to test. One of each was standard and the other was treated with a silicone solution by him. Results Table: Untreated Maxima ESD at ...

In Make Your Own Gear » How many ponchos to make a quilt top?
February 01, 3:17pm

Re: Windpro
Eric, Polartec Wind Pro (tight weave rather than a membrane) has been offered in weights from 8.8 oz./yd2 to 14.1 oz./yd2. The 12 oz./yd2 version, style 7380, seems to be the most common version...

In GEAR » Patagonia Nano Air™ Review - A New Genre
January 30, 9:44pm

Patagonia Nano Air™ Review - A New Genre
Sean Passanisi’s Research Report Request to Richard Nisley Email excerpts from Sean Passanisi to me: …I would like to know if you are interested in performing some of your wonderful tests...

In GEAR » Patagonia Nano Air™ Review - A New Genre
January 30, 7:34pm

Re: Re: RBTR Membrane Sil Test Results
Kyle, I followed the ISO 811 standard. The relevant extract from ISO 811 says: “After receipt, handle the fabric as little as possible, avoid folding it sharply and do not treat it in any way ...

In Make Your Own Gear » A new Silnylon available - 1.05oz/yd
January 18, 8:06pm

RBTR Membrane Sil Test Results
Kyle, I received your sample today. Unfortunately it only tested 562.39 mm H2O. The primary problem is the looseness of the weave shown in my 5mm Field of View micrograph. Even if you put a thic...

In Make Your Own Gear » A new Silnylon available - 1.05oz/yd
January 16, 6:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm