BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 61 - 70 of 1565 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...157

Forum » Thread

Rev. 3 - A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding
Jeff correctly pointed out that the Rev. 2 chart could be interpreted that an item has more water resistance as it gets lighter. This was a limited data set artifact. The simplest clarification ...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 25, 9:01pm

RAB Alpine jacket CFM mystery solved?
I was curious as to why the “coffee filter” air permeability tests that Wim Depondt conducted on a NEW RAB Alpine seemed to indicate comparable breathability to the RAB Boreas. Wlm Depondt test...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 23, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Difference from specs
Serge Eric correctly pointed out a variable which we have no information on. All other garments I tested were new. When was your garment purchased and what was the summary profile of its use...

February 23, 12:00pm

Re: True?
Brett, With an occasional exception, you are correct.

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 23, 10:48am

Lab Tested - RAB Alpine & Boreas
The genesis of this analysis originated with Wim Depondt in his thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86498. He used coffee filt...

February 22, 7:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
Woubeir, Most fabric layers are more air than fiber; so, it is the water in the spaces between the fibers and layers which are the primary determinate of saturated weight gain and inversely, the...

February 19, 10:46am

Re: Re: A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
Daryl, Polypropylene, aka polyolefin, has 0.05% regain where the vertical 65% RH line is. In the chart it would be superimposed on top of the x-axis and not visible. The low-cost DriDucks and Fr...

February 19, 9:43am

A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
One well known quote of Albert Einstein’s is: “If you can't explain something simply, you don't know enough about it.” Thanks to your constructive comments, I have an opportunity to c...

February 18, 11:51pm

Re: tested
Eric, You said, "are those tested values for the MEC RD richard?" The answer is yes! A few days after mulling over your post of 2/4/14, I ordered a MEC RD. After it arrived, I test...

February 17, 10:08am

A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding
There was a recent thread entitled “Windshirt Question”. See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87001&disable_pagination=1 ...

February 16, 11:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm