BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 61 - 70 of 1561 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...157

Forum » Thread

Lab Tested - RAB Alpine & Boreas
The genesis of this analysis originated with Wim Depondt in his thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86498. He used coffee filt...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 22, 7:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
Woubeir, Most fabric layers are more air than fiber; so, it is the water in the spaces between the fibers and layers which are the primary determinate of saturated weight gain and inversely, the...

In GEAR » A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0
February 19, 10:46am

Re: Re: A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
Daryl, Polypropylene, aka polyolefin, has 0.05% regain where the vertical 65% RH line is. In the chart it would be superimposed on top of the x-axis and not visible. The low-cost DriDucks and Fr...

February 19, 9:43am

A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev .1
One well known quote of Albert Einstein’s is: “If you can't explain something simply, you don't know enough about it.” Thanks to your constructive comments, I have an opportunity to c...

February 18, 11:51pm

Re: tested
Eric, You said, "are those tested values for the MEC RD richard?" The answer is yes! A few days after mulling over your post of 2/4/14, I ordered a MEC RD. After it arrived, I test...

February 17, 10:08am

A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts - Multiple Axis of Understanding
There was a recent thread entitled “Windshirt Question”. See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87001&disable_pagination=1 ...

February 16, 11:56pm

Re: Baselayer
John, You significantly reduce the effectiveness of a "cold weather" base layer by not having it firmly touch your skin at all times! In the Polartec product line family, they only...

In Philosophy & Technique » Layering: Staying Comfortable in the Mountains
February 14, 11:18am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Tom, Take one garment to an independent local lab and measure its air permeability. POOF... no more doubt, perhaps, or maybe. You will experience much less angst knowing for sure (smile).

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 13, 2:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Tom, Backpacking is listed in standard physiology energy expenditure guide entitled “The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide” as an average 7 MET activity. That is the highest l...

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 13, 2:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Tom, Please list all the spec values that vary from my higher test results. If the differences are major, please independently test the values that differ and post your results. This should all...

February 13, 7:07am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm