BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 7367 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...737

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Tent poles
I put my tent poles on the rear - opposite side from my back - bottom of poles at bottom of pack - top of poles at top with a strap to cinch down to compress pack It might seem like you want the...

In Philosophy & Technique » The craze with frameless
August 15, 11:59am

Re: Re: Re: warning for black bear country
I see a lot of animal tracks on trails, more so than off trail It's nice that although we reduce their habitat, at least we do something nice in return - provide easy trails for them to use

In Chaff » warning for black bear country
August 15, 11:51am

Re: Re: I need help with altitude sickness. Please.
Whenever I go above 10,000 feet I get severe headaches When I did Rainier, which is the same as Whitney, it was terrible. I got to 14,000 feet on the summit plateau and couldn't do the last...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » I need help with altitude sickness. Please.
August 14, 5:01pm

Re: Need Help Picking SUL Insulation and List Critique
I wear a vest and sleeping bag. When it gets down to maybe 35F I start getting cold. My vest and sleeping bag are synthetic a little thicker than 2.5 oz Apex. I think I require a little less ins...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Need Help Picking SUL Insulation and List Critique
August 14, 4:50pm

Re: Re: Re: How come I see water disinfectant but not filtration in gear lists?
I carry 1 pint (1/2 liter) soda bottle of water. I'll hike maybe 5 hours, 10 miles. I start well hydrated. If it's warm I'll find one source of water in the middle where I'll d...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How come I see water disinfectant but not filtration in gear lists?
August 14, 3:18pm

Re: Monitor the party?
Greenspan is a Weazel - screws up and doesn't admit it In 2000, to dampen the Tech bubble, he raised interest rates, which caused the economy to tank, as well as popping the tech bubble. He...

In Chaff » "Hi, I am a Tea Partier" (video)
August 14, 9:16am

Re: lineloc question
I've always used tautline hitches, but recently started using linelocs With really thin line a tautline hitch doesn't work real good. You have to pull on it and tighten the knot when yo...

In GEAR » trailstar linelocs
August 13, 4:51pm

Re: Re: Re: warning for black bear country
Well, it's good that when the Forest Service sees that bears are breaking into cars that have visible water bottles, they warn people not to do that : )

August 13, 2:45pm

Re: warning for black bear country
That must be Yosemite or something?

August 13, 8:02am

Re: Vote 'em out
I agree it would be difficult to eliminate private funding of elections. Maybe if we all "get mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" The tea partiers were briefly not...

In Chaff » "Hi, I am a Tea Partier" (video)
August 12, 7:12pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.