Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 8283 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...829

Forum » Thread

Re: Thanks Roger
Great article Roger, Thanks A lot of gems here, like the pre bent angles that make the poles stronger than if you just bend a long pole into a curved shape. Does anyone make a tent like yours...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 1: Definition and Pitching
April 10, 5:10pm

Re: Cuben Ridgeline Seam
I think spinnaker makers use tape to make a lap seam, then sew a row of stitches. Where the stitches are there are two layer of Cuben and on both sides there is tape holding the two layers together

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Ridgeline Seam
April 10, 2:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Another thought provoking post
The problem is, the Swiss plan has a lot in common with Obama-care and Romney-care Not much in common with right wing proposals If we took Obama-care and did something about the excessive Ins...

In Chaff » Thoiught Provoking Post
April 10, 11:09am

Re: Another thought provoking post
That article has a Republican slant They don't mention that health insurance companies in Switzerland are non-profit and "An American adaptation of the Swiss system would not requir...

In Chaff » Thoiught Provoking Post
April 10, 9:18am

Re: seams
"As still a beginner MYOG'er I'm still learning for myself what works and why, and what doesn't and why, rather than just listening to what so and so said to do one whatever tutori...

In Make Your Own Gear » What type of seam do tent manufacturers use?
April 09, 11:45am

Re: Little bug out
"Fwiw we have a small hybrid tipi" How about some more info? pictures? link? The only problem for a gear supplier with a pyramid is it's sort of generic so it's hard to co...

In Make Your Own Gear » Half Pyramid
April 09, 10:27am

Re: standard book
Yeah, curved seams different story, but I've never had problem with straight seams. I was thinking of words like "bugger" which I believe is mildly profane, not what you were sayin...

April 09, 7:53am

Re: standard book
"> I don't enjoy pinning the hems at all, boring. You may not enjoy it, but pinning the seams is the ONLY way imho of getting a reliable neat finish." If you use the "faux...

April 08, 11:12pm

Re: Is I right or is I wrong
"...as partial melting will greatly weaken the material and reduce the water resistance" the melting temperature of both nylon and silicone is pretty high. Nylon 374–663 °F accordi...

April 08, 10:59pm

Re: My Half Pyramid
That looks great! What are the demensions? I think pyramid/tipi/trailstar type tent is much better than alternatives.

In Make Your Own Gear » Half Pyramid
April 08, 12:31pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.