BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 7565 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...757

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Taxes
Social security and medicare are pretty efficient. Not perfect, but if you tell people you're going to take it away they complain vigorously If you look at the GI bill after WWII and other ...

In Chaff » America's Wealth Gap -- No. 39 in the World
October 28, 7:36pm

Re: MYOG Duomid
That looks really good, well done

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Duomid
October 28, 7:22pm

Re: more wet
"the trick IMO is wearing as little as you can on the move and the quickest drying things you can find" and if the "as little as you can wear" (base layer plus jacket) doesn&...

In Editor's Roundtable » Field Testing Air Permeable Waterproof-Breathable Fabric Technologies – Part 2: Are There Detectable Differences Under Real World Backpacking Conditions?
October 28, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Wet again and fleece
"What is your solution?" I have hiked in the PNW many times where I was somewhat wet after hiking - worst case is 32F and raining (and windy). Wear base layer and eVent jacket while...

In Editor's Roundtable » Field Testing Air Permeable Waterproof-Breathable Fabric Technologies – Part 2: Are There Detectable Differences Under Real World Backpacking Conditions?
October 28, 1:50pm

Re: wet
"I am going to edit that because it didn't come out right. I am the arm chair scientist. And a bad one at that. I can only go by my experience." Don't worry about it, you didn&...

October 28, 12:59pm

Re: reinforce the sewing thread of trail runners (flyroc 310)
McNett Seam Grip or Sho Goo would work better I sometimes hand sew some stitches with nylon upholstery thread but it's a pain and doesn't last that long

In GEAR » reinforce the sewing thread of trail runners (flyroc 310)
October 28, 12:20pm

Re: Re: wet
I'll have to weigh my clothes when damp and calculate how many BTUs required And compare that to BTUs required to stay warm Are you calling me an arm chair scientist? Well, I am sitting ...

October 28, 12:17pm

Re: Re: Sewing machine maintenance
Nice link, thanks Donna That makes sense that bending needle is causing problem like several people said, because if I just let it feed by itself it's better I'll try bigger needle

In Make Your Own Gear » Sewing Machine Maintenence
October 28, 12:12pm

Re: leaky membranes
I think the amount of water is so small that the BTUs it takes to heat it up are infintesimal, so it doesn't matter whether it's sweat or rain water. It takes 1150 BTU/lb to evaporate wa...

October 28, 11:26am

Re: PSA - Cheap Decent Sewing Machine
That's cheaper than paying to service my machine : )

In Make Your Own Gear » PSA - Cheap Decent Sewing Machine
October 28, 10:37am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.