Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 7787 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...779

Forum » Thread

Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- First Look
"At the same time, you can't blame MSR for wanting to enter the high end lightweight small gas stove market." But then they should have designed one that weighs 1.5 oz, like the Gn...

In GEAR » The New MSR MicroRocket -- First Look
January 01, 11:13am

Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- First Look
I agree Jim, the Ti JetBoil weighs the same as a conventional stove+pot+wondscreeen plus consumes less fuel. I was just thinking of the difference between PR, PR II, gnat,...

January 01, 8:17am

Re: extra room
"Hte other issue was the insulation getting caught on the presser foot. " Same here. You have to constantly press the insulation down and feed it under the presser foot. The presser ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulated pants
December 31, 11:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Different strokes
"Wow. Those sound like the words of an MSR beginner." An advanced MSR user uses a canister stove. Or, you could use an alcohol stove if you don't mind the fiddling.

December 31, 11:07pm

Re: Re: Re: Different strokes
"Wow. Those sound like the words of an MSR beginner." Maybe a slow learner. Okay, I'm exhagerating a little. Is your MSR lightweight? Never got fuel on your hands? Jets nev...

December 31, 11:05pm

Re: Insulated pants
I made some insulated pants Probably pre-Apex Climashield or Polarguard. About 3 oz/yd2. I used a pattern I made myself from a pair of pants. 2.5 Apex is 0.6 inch loft. Multiply by 2 pi - ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Insulated pants
December 31, 11:00pm

Re: Different strokes
I have both a Svea 123 and a couple MSR stoves, I guess I have them confused in my head : ) I couldn't get the Svea to work at 10,000 feet on Mt. Rainier (but that was because I didn't...

December 31, 10:30pm

Re: Re: Load lifters
Thanks Paul That actually makes sense I'm still a little skeptical, but that's consistent with your description Now I have to look into Dan's bypass harness

In GEAR » Fixed Torso vs. Adjustable Torso
December 31, 10:07pm

Re: Re: Different strokes
"I can't see how an item has to be lighter to be better?" Duane, are you sure you are at the right web site?" Duane - with super heavy archaeic Svea 123 Avatar : )

December 31, 3:03pm

Re: Looking forward
Not enough difference between canister stoves to make any significant difference. Even Gnat at 1.5 oz vs PR at 3 oz - who cares? When the PR and several others weigh only 3 oz, there is no ro...

December 31, 12:09pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.