BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 7057 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...706

Forum » Thread

Re: wood stoves
I think there are knuckleheads that make big fires in the wilderness that force the officials to make all fires illegal. I agree, small fire is part of the joy.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » wood stove
May 17, 11:59pm

Re: Re: MYOG quilt article
You can either have one layer, then the insulation on top, and sew a seam. It's a little difficult to not get the insulation to catch on the zipper foot. If you compress the insulation wi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Want to make a quilt... (many questions)
May 17, 11:48pm

Re: Want to make a quilt... (many questions)
I'm no quilt expert, but Apex requires less quilting 5 ounce would be good down to 30 F according to I forget who thruhiker.com sells it owfinc.com sells 6 ounce Apex, probably chea...

In Make Your Own Gear » Want to make a quilt... (many questions)
May 17, 5:09pm

Re: BPL position on Temp ratings
M2K/W is square meters * degree Kelvin / Watt - the insulation value that will produce one degree Kelvin difference if you pass through one Watt of power through a square meter area. MET is the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MET's, CLO's and BMI's?
May 17, 12:40pm

Re: 7 yards of Sil Nylon for a MYOG Tarp Project
There might be some useful hints in: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_silnylon_floorless_2-person_tent.html Although that tent requires 9 yards and isn't prob...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 yards of Sil Nylon for a MYOG Tarp Project
May 17, 8:58am

Re: Down vs. Apex?
Again, I'm no expert here, just trying to figure it out too, and I don't think there's a complete, consistent story here but... Richard's formula is something like CLO = (T - ...

May 17, 8:40am

Re: Still...
I wonder what Ben has to say about it?

In Philosophy & Technique » Speaking of light; wouldn't sharing gear make our packs much lighter?
May 17, 7:55am

Re: When does a wood burning stove become a firepit?
Construct a circle of aluminum flashing from the hardware store. With tin snips, cut some triangular holes at the bottom for air flow. A few ounces.

In GEAR » When does a wood burning stove become a firepit?
May 17, 7:51am

Re: To anonymous tent donor
Very curious Mary : )

In GEAR » To anonymous tent donor
May 16, 10:51pm

Re: MET's, CLO's and BMI's?
There is at least one error below, but this is what I understand. 1 and 2 - R can be either imperial (F·ft²·h/Btu) or metric (m²·K/W). It's ambiguous. You have to infer which one from...

May 16, 10:50pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.