BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 6427 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...643

Forum » Thread

re
"The authors of the Constitution made it extremely difficult to pass an amendment to the Constitution, so changing how our representatives are elected is almost impossible." There are ...

In Chaff » Republican's attack on wilderness. Unconscionable!
February 23, 8:26am

re
Great article, thanks Nice that it has references to back up claims I only carry one pint of water with me. Only recent time I've had a problem was a day hike in the summer - should have...

In Philosophy & Technique » Drinking Water for Hiking: Myths and Facts
February 23, 8:12am

re
According to wikipedia, regular activated charcoal has "many areas where flat surfaces of graphite-like material run parallel to each other, separated by only a few nanometers or so" S...

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to get NANO activated carbon?
February 22, 8:40pm

re
I wonder how long it would last Especially if it was a high wear surface like a pack or floor

In Make Your Own Gear » American Silnylon not Acceptable?
February 22, 8:30pm

re
I like the video - self evident without any unnecesary talk What would be good is to treat one side of the tent and put something like paper towel inside - treated side not mist, untreated side ...

In Make Your Own Gear » American Silnylon not Acceptable?
February 22, 8:27pm

re
Wait a second I thought that the government is incompetent at doing anything Ooops wrong thread

In Chaff » Christchurch earthquake
February 22, 4:54pm

re
Sometimes French seam is easier to do in small object like small stuff sack

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - Stuff Sack Questions
February 22, 1:28pm

re
This isn't what you meant, but Go to the NOAA snow website: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?mode=pan&zoom=&center_x=++-122.317&center_y=++45.317&ql=st...

In Winter Hiking » Estimating snow depth after rain and temperatures above freezing
February 22, 1:01pm

re
Keep your cool Don't freak out and start doing things without thinking Keep thinking of contingency plans Enjoy the experience, hopefully you'll survive and it will be a good memory

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Heuristic Hierarchy
February 22, 9:57am

vent
I have had a vent at the peak - 4 openings that are about 4 inches square each It didn't seem like it made much difference I think to be effective, a vent has to be like several feet squa...

In Make Your Own Gear » my new silnylon tent project....
February 22, 9:54am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.