Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5891 - 5900 of 9446 | Page: 1 ...581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 ...945

Forum » Thread

Re: MYOG Backpack Design Strategy
I do that some, but If you, for example, sew the pack to the waist belt, it will be a more rigid connection and weigh less.

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Backpack Design Strategy
December 17, 10:14pm

Re: Unintended consequences
Well said David Maybe response to 9-11 should have been to harden cockpit doors

In Chaff » Newtown
December 17, 12:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can any of you pro gun types tell me
"so how safe do you really feel at the airport? ... 3 rednecks could have stopped 911 from ever happening if not for the false security..." Our over-reaction to 911 was far worse than...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 17, 8:27am

Re: temporary shelter for day hiking in PNW
+1 eric - not worth putting up and down when day hiking sometimes I find a sheltered spot under a tree or rock you could use an umbrella

In GEAR » temporary shelter for day hiking in PNW
December 17, 8:10am

Re: Is Gutterman thread necessary?
My local fabric store carries Gutterman which makes it convenient Maybe check other stores in your area to see if anyone carries it

In Make Your Own Gear » Is Gutterman thread necessary?
December 17, 8:04am

Re: Re: 60 Minutes Piece
60 Minutes said the initial reports were that the mother was a teacher and he targeted her class, neither of which is correct The initial reporters didn't know she was killed at home before-...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 16, 11:04pm

60 Minutes Piece
They interviewed some secret service agents that did a study of shootings, mentioned a couple things: Shootings are very rare - I think maybe we shouldn't worry about them so much? Usuall...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 16, 9:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re
There are a finite number of threads. When we use up the last one, pooof!, that will be the end of the internets...

In GEAR » Is cuben fiber flammable?
December 16, 9:27pm

Re: choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing
I've used nobul from Cheap, the lightest weight I used it for synthetic but it's reported to be fairly down proof. Maybe not quite as good as ...

In Make Your Own Gear » choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing
December 16, 9:23pm

Re: Pulk / sled for winter backpacking?
search for "pulk" and you'll get a number of threads such as

In GEAR » Pulk / sled for winter backpacking?
December 16, 5:46pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.