BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 581 - 590 of 655 | Page: 1 ...47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Forum » Thread

A great jacket
Your jacket is perfect for cold weather pursuits. That's pretty much what it is designed for, highly aerobic activity in winter. However, I wouldn't have it with me if it's going to b...

In GEAR » Arc'teryx venta AR soft shell jacket
June 01, 8:13am

Marmot Atom Regular LZ 850 fill sleeping bag
Purchased last year, used less than 5 times. Excellent 850 fill down bag. Selling since I want to go with a quilt instead. This bag is fully described here http://www.rei.com/product/762521/marm...

In Gear Swap » Marmot Atom Regular LZ $160 shipped
May 31, 7:35pm

Goose Creek TH Loop
I ended up having to bail when my buddy's knee wasn't going to allow him to do the full loop and so ended up doing a day hike in RMNP instead. I may give it a go this weekend if I can find...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Goose Creek TH Loop Map
May 31, 1:48pm

Tarptent Contrail
Did you see this thread already which has a Tarptent Contrail for sale? http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48517

In Gear Swap » WTB: Tarptent Sublite or Contrail
May 31, 8:02am

Jam vs Gorrila
FYI, you can get the Jam on sale for $75 at some temporary Golite stores in the Denver area and in Boise, Id. I see you are in SE Idaho so Boise may be too much of a drive unless you will already ...

In GEAR » Help me decide b/w Jam & Gorilla
May 30, 6:00pm

Golite sale in Denver/Boise
Golite has setup temporary store fronts in several locations in the greater Denver area and in Boise, ID where they are selling a full range of their merchandise at huge discounts. Check the link ...

In Gear Deals » Golite sale in Denver/Boise
May 30, 2:47pm

Rain Jacket
If you are going to bring a Rain Jacket regardless then you don't need to also bring a wind shirt. The rain jacket cuts wind just like a wind shirt. Generally a wind shirt does NOT breath lik...

In GEAR » Windshell + rain jacket or just rain jacket?
May 30, 2:35pm

Durability of GG LT4 Trekking Pole
Hearing several stories of snapped poles doesn't give me much comfort that Carbon Fiber poles in general are a good thing. Yes I can cut weight but they just sound way too fragile. Am I overr...

In GEAR » snapped a gossamer gear lt4 pole...what to do?
May 27, 5:51pm

Crazy
Sorry, this is where I think you cross the line from being light and functional to just light. A flashlight that only has 1.5 hours of light for a single battery is just ridiculous. Give me a Mam...

In GEAR » The perfect ultralight flashlight?
May 27, 8:06am

Re: Thank you
"I have a old Marmot windshirt that I use for winter running. I'm pretty sure it is less than 5 oz". My Marmot Driclime Windshirt is 8.6ozs, but it has a light fuzzy insulation b...

In Philmont » Bear Protocol for Sleeping
May 27, 7:59am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm