BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 5731 - 5740 of 7470 | Page: 1 ...565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 ...747

Forum » Thread

Small knives
The Buck Smidgen is a great small knife design. See the Buck Hartsook for the same design as the Smidgen in S30V steel with BOS heat treatment. Both are excellent examples of what I call "shar...

In GEAR » New UL knife from Ka-Bar
May 06, 12:16am

New UL knife from Ka-Bar
I ran across an ad for a tiny Ka-Bar knife designed by Nathan Becker called a Becker Remora and found one on eBay for $20. Becker is known for designing some monster military-style knives, but ...

In GEAR » New UL knife from Ka-Bar
May 05, 10:41pm

Light liners for summer bags
I was kicking this around, looking at using light liners in conjunction with an AMK Thermolite bivy for a quick and dirty summer bag. I remember being surprised that a simple fleece bag could be so...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super cheap and pretty light summer bag?
May 04, 9:58am

Re: down
Lee wrote, "Most if not all down jackets will have some water resistancy. My Montbell has been in light fog/mist around camp with no problems. If it is really raining around camp I just throw ...

In GEAR » Merino layers vs fluffy jackets
May 03, 2:53pm

The Wind or Rain Pants Conundrum
This is my take on wind pants and rain pants: 1. Wind pants aren't very durable. A wind shirt needs reasonable care for snagging on branches, but you sit on pants and there is abrasion from ...

In GEAR » Another: wind pants or rain pants?
May 03, 9:25am

Re: Re: Down in the Cascades
I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that someone would be hiking with a down jacket--- my comments were my attempt to illustrate the amount of moisture in the air. In a related matter, people hav...

May 03, 8:48am

Ventilation young man!
Pit zips, shoulder yoke vents, Velcro tabs for the zipper storm flap (zipper open, flap closed with Velcro leaves vents), cuffs adjusted to vent, etc. Ain't no free lunch! And the umbrella ...

In GEAR » One shell to rule them all
May 02, 9:24pm

Glove/Jacket Boundary
I hike with poles, so I wear the gauntlet of the glove outside the jacket cuff--- my hands aren't hanging down at my side. Also, I rarely have to hike in real downpours so there isn't a riv...

In GEAR » Rain & the wrist/cuff seal
May 02, 9:16pm

Down in the Cascades
My posts were based on advising a purchase decision. If you already have down, it will work fine-- just keep it dry. If you do get it wet, you will be better equipped for a towel snapping duel than...

May 02, 8:52pm

Down vs Polyfil
Down wins the loft/weight game, *if* you can keep it dry. Get it wet it turns into lumps of cold wet goo. Drying the stuff without a dryer is very difficult. With polyester fiber fills, you can wri...

May 02, 8:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.