BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 571 - 580 of 669 | Page: 1 ...48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Forum » Thread

Oregon Scientific
makes some pretty good weather stations. I have one does the min/max temp and a forecast based on the barometric pressure. You can check out their website which has everything from basic to profe...

In GEAR » looking for a good HOME weather station
September 07, 9:28am

Depends on what function you are looking for
I wear a hat so i don't have to use Sunscreen anywhere on my head and neck. That requires a full brim. Baseball style caps are useless for that purpose because it leaves the side and neck exp...

In GEAR » Best backpacking hat?
August 05, 10:34am

UL2 front entrance
They still haven't learned that front entrances are very poor design

In GEAR » Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Edition
August 04, 11:15pm

Loksak Opsak
At a minimum you should be using Loksak Opsak and not your grocery store variety zip locks. Zip locks do NOT keep odors out well.

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Bear Bagging and SUL
July 20, 5:29pm

Re: Well I'll be dipped in DEET!
Perhaps you are not looking at the right pants and long sleeve shirts. I am always amazed how many people would rather cover themselves in chemicals for bugs and sun protection instead of just wea...

In GEAR » Well I'll be dipped in DEET!
June 17, 7:20pm

Re: Jam
Based on those pictures it's not the current 2011 version. I have that version and the color of the side pockets don't match. But it definitely appears that a lot of the other key feature...

In Gear Swap » FS: Golite Jam, L, Blue, Like New +
June 17, 4:04pm

Re: Re: How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
To elaborate a bit further on this topic. It seems to me that attaching a quilt in the manner you are showing in your original picture sort of defeats the purpose of the quilt. By attaching under...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
June 16, 9:59am

Re: How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
I also move around a bit and am a side sleeper to boot. I recently acquired a Katabatic Gear quilt. The design of their quilts helps in several ways 1] Their is an elastic binding around the b...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do you attach your quilt to your pad?
June 16, 9:53am

Really helpful on uphill sections
I hear people talk a lot about downhill protection of your knees but I find trekking poles are a huge difference in my performance going uphill by deferring some of the effort to my arms and tricep...

In Philosophy & Technique » Poles are a burden?
June 15, 9:49pm

Re: buff
Buffs are awesome. My favorite use for them is to pull down over my eyes and nose while sleeping when nights are a little cooler (i.e., summer) but not cold enough for a full balaclava. Also like...

In GEAR » Bandana question
June 12, 10:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm